+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help! I just apply for the PR visa under PNP stream. but I got fired...

Whats happening

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
laikayung said:
Thanks so much for your reply...! but aww that's pretty sad to hear...so I can still stay in Canada and look for a new employer? mine is a closed work permit... Will they just throw away my application knowing that I got laid off? I think I should notify PNP ASAP about the change of employment.. Coz as for me, I just submitted my PR application.. and they haven't even filed it yet..I was thinking to go back to my country then apply for CEC.. but there is one condition that you have to have a tem resident status to apply for the CEC.. I am not sure if that is true... keep me posted with your app!!! thanks buddy!
\

yes just notify the PNP. as i mentioned before get a letter from the PNP saying that your are approved and then submit that letter with your new work permit application for the new employer(with the letter no LMO required)
all the best..
thanks for your concern

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
Whats happening said:
This LMO requirement can be waived if you are approved by the PNP. all you need to do is call you provincial government and ask them for a letter stating that you are approved by the PNP. with that letter, your new employer should apply for a WP straight away with that letter. I have personal experience with this in Nova Scotia. Also your BCPNP is invalid only if your employer sponsored you..other streams such as international grad stream . international post-grad etc does not require employer sponsoring..before you do anything please make sure what people are saying in the forum is true.
So do you mean that if I can find a new employer who can sponsor me, and if I have that special letter from the provincial government, I can apply for the work permit right away? that's really good news if it's the case!! people been saying that once you lose your job, your PNP is over....i dont wanna lose all the time & effort I have put on my PNP app... thanks buddy!!!

Whats happening

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
laikayung said:
so do you mean that if I can find a new employer who can hire me as full time and I if I have that letter from the provincial government, I can still work almost right way. If it's true, it's really a great new for sure!!
if you find an employer who wants to hire you they need to apply a work permit for you or you can apply yourself with the work offer letter. To apply for the WP you first need to get a positive LMO and then apply for WP but now the process of getting an LMO can be waived by a support letter from your PNP.
so if you get the support letter then you/employer can apply for the WP straight away(without requiring a LMO- which takes a long time)

hope its clear!

Whats happening

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
laikayung said:
So do you mean that if I can find a new employer who can sponsor me, and if I have that special letter from the provincial government, I can apply for the work permit right away? that's really good news if it's the case!! people been saying that once you lose your job, your PNP is over....i dont wanna lose all the time & effort I have put on my PNP app... thanks buddy!!!
you cannot work for anyone else with the same work permit because it is a closed WP.
no matter what if you want to work , you need a new permit. and the process to apply without having to get an LMO is as i mentioned above

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
Whats happening said:
if you find an employer who wants to hire you they need to apply a work permit for you or you can apply yourself with the work offer letter. To apply for the WP you first need to get a positive LMO and then apply for WP but now the process of getting an LMO can be waived by a support letter from your PNP.
so if you get the support letter then you/employer can apply for the WP straight away(without requiring a LMO- which takes a long time)

hope its clear!
It's much clearer now! but a few more questions, as I know that the work permit application is gonna take time as well even with a support letter, as I remember it took me 3 months to get the new work permit even with that support from the PNP.. and in the mean while, is that my PR application will still run? and if my PR application still runs, can I go back to my home country and wait for the PR to get done? in case I cant find a new employer in canada..

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
Whats happening said:
you cannot work for anyone else with the same work permit because it is a closed WP.
no matter what if you want to work , you need a new permit. and the process to apply without having to get an LMO is as i mentioned above
I just checked online, the new work permit is gonna take 53 days to process....

Whats happening

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
laikayung said:
It's much clearer now! but a few more questions, as I know that the work permit application is gonna take time as well even with a support letter, as I remember it took me 3 months to get the new work permit even with that support from the PNP.. and in the mean while, is that my PR application will still run? and if my PR application still runs, can I go back to my home country and wait for the PR to get done? in case I cant find a new employer in canada..
the PNP will still run if you are in the same province.
No sure about the going home part. Would you have a valid mailing address in your province while you are in your home country ?
I think you should check with your provincial government about all this before you make your move. May be dont ask about the going home part, just ask about the WP issue.

the problem is , if you are approved of a PR, they would need you to mail in your passports, they may also ask for employment letter and your mailing address.

im not sure about going home.. may be someone else can answer that

Whats happening

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
laikayung said:
I just checked online, the new work permit is gonna take 53 days to process....
thats true for all WP applicants...true for people want to work as a foreign worker...i guess the only competition you would have for a job is if the other job applicant is a citizen/PR/open work permit holder.

if they are deciding between two potential employees and if both require a WP then the wait times for a WP is the same

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
Whats happening said:
the PNP will still run if you are in the same province.
No sure about the going home part. Would you have a valid mailing address in your province while you are in your home country ?
I think you should check with your provincial government about all this before you make your move. May be dont ask about the going home part, just ask about the WP issue.

the problem is , if you are approved of a PR, they would need you to mail in your passports, they may also ask for employment letter and your mailing address.

im not sure about going home.. may be someone else can answer that
Thanks so much for your help again..! so I guess I will not be able to work at least for a short period of time until I can get the WP. but what if I am in Canada and I dont have a job for months, will my PR still run like that?... sorry for asking a lot of questions....

Whats happening

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
laikayung said:
Thanks so much for your help again..! so I guess I will not be able to work at least for a short period of time until I can get the WP. but what if I am in Canada and I dont have a job for months, will my PR still run like that?... sorry for asking a lot of questions....
yes it will run.. no worries.
all the best
did your employer sponsor you for your PNP? if they did then they may inform the PNP about it..
just tell your provincial govt about your situation..dont mention about going home and wait for your PR

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
Whats happening said:
yes it will run.. no worries.
all the best
did your employer sponsor you for your PNP? if they did then they may inform the PNP about it..
just tell your provincial govt about your situation..dont mention about going home and wait for your PR
Thanks a lot!!
I think I should still ask about the support letter and such? I think I will ask hypothetically regarding my other concerns... just to make sure everything is crystal clear.......
and one quick question, the job that I look for must be a Permanent job offer. correct? will a 9 months contract work still work? will they even know when I apply for the work permit with the support letter?

anser0131

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-11-2012
Nomination.....
13-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
14-03-2013 "Med Received" 11-04-2013 "In Process" 10-05-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
04-07-2013 "Decision Made" 08-07-2013
If you intend to work in BC while waiting for the processing of your permanent resident visa application, you are responsible to apply for and to keep your work permit valid up until you become a permanent resident. Nomination by the BC PNP does NOT authorize you to work legally while awaiting processing of your permanent resident visa. If required, we may issue you, (the Nominee), a work permit support letter which will assist you in applying to CIC for a new or renewed work permit full-time employment in a specific job with a BC employer.

As we are on this support letter topic, will BCPNP issue you the support letter when you are no longer working for the employer who supported on your BCPNP application?

Call them and find out and let me know!

anser0131

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-11-2012
Nomination.....
13-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
14-03-2013 "Med Received" 11-04-2013 "In Process" 10-05-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
04-07-2013 "Decision Made" 08-07-2013
FYI a friend of my friend, who was also in the same situation(sorta), he notified PNP after he got fired and they decided to keep his nomination as long as he could find a job in the same field within 3 months. Not sure about the work permit part so I assume he had a open work permit.

Hope this helps.

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
anser0131 said:
FYI a friend of my friend, who was also in the same situation(sorta), he notified PNP after he got fired and they decided to keep his nomination as long as he could find a job in the same field within 3 months. Not sure about the work permit part so I assume he had a open work permit.

Hope this helps.
For sure I will keep you posted buddy. But if in any case the renew work permit thing doesnt work, I will have to go back to hk and apply for the CEC..though I am still wondering how to mention in my application about my half year work that was paid by cash....

laikayung

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
anser0131 said:

Hope this helps.
new update! Email from the PNP

Thank you for your email.

1. After your nomination it continues to be the responsibility of both the nominee and the employer to advise the BC PNP of any changes in the nominee’s employment. This includes a possible promotion, lay off, termination, or a potential new job with a new employer. In all of the above cases you are required to consult your program advisor as to what the implications of the particular changes in your employment may be. If your position is being terminated, you will have to find another employer that will continue with your nomination and offer you a permanent full-time position.

Please refer to the link for more information on what to do if you lose your job:

http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/immigrate/Provincial-Nominee-Program-Home/Strategic-Occupations-Home/Losing-Your-Job.aspx

2. If you found a new employer that will continue to support with your nomination, once you have accepted a new job offer from a new employer, you will have to notify our office with these changes.

Please re-submit the following documents for your new employer:

- Job offer Form

- Job offer letter

- Valid BC license & Certificate of Incorporation

Once our office receive your information, the program advisor will need to re-assess your application to ensure your new employer meets all the eligible employer criteria. If all criteria are met, the program advisor will provide a new Work Permit Support Letter for you to apply for a new work permit through CIC for your new employer.

3. Your PR application will still be in process as long as you find a new employer. You will have to notify Citizenship and Immigration Canada regarding to your changes in employment.

4. If you leave Canada, you must have legal immigration status to enter back into Canada.