+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please Help? Applying CEC with post graduate work permit.

iwasjeff

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Aug-2015
Doc's Request.
08-Sep-2015
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2015
IELTS Request
08-Sep-2015
Med's Done....
11-Sep-2015
Passport Req..
13-Jan-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-Jan-2016
LANDED..........
27-Jan-2016
Hello:

I am 7 months into my employment under post graduate work permit. This is my 11th year in Canada - graduated highschool, University with both BSc and MSc.

I will fulfil 1 year employment (when I would be eligible to apply for CEC immigration) in 5 months and I just want to be prepared.

This is the information I've received from CIC call centre agent:

---------------------------------
As a temporary foreign worker, to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), you must have:

Work experience* for 12 months within the 36 months preceding the date you submit your application. This work experience must have been obtained in a :
management occupation;
professional occupation;
technical occupation; or
skilled occupation;
A valid temporary resident status during the period of work that makes you eligible to apply under the CEC;

and

The ability to communicate in English or French.
Please note that periods of self-employment or unauthorized work will not be included when calculating the period of work experience.

---------------------------------

My job as a feed formulator (animal nutritionist for livestocks) is a full time position which falls under Biologists and Related Scientists - NOC 2121 - LEVEL A

I am just inquiring some few tips for this application.

1. Would I need to take Language proficiency test? (I am sure so many other people have asked this questions, but I could not simply find this information - I just find it very strange that I graduated highschool with Ontario Literacy tests, University with BSc and MSc needing to prove their language skills)
2. If so, of two, CELPIP and IELTIS, what is recommended?
3. Should I apply at 1 year mark of my employment or should I give some more time? maybe at 13 months or so? (I've seen many people on this forum being denied because CIC indicated that they did not meet this term)
4. I also have my own house w/ mortgage approved - owned it for over 6 months now - will be a year by the time when I apply. Would this help with proving that I am contributing to Canadian Society?
5. Is there any tips that you can share? (My timeline is quite tight because if it takes too long, I have to go back to my country, South Korea and have to serve military services. So, I want to have everything corrected before I submit my application to prevent denial)

Thank you very much in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - an english test is mandatory. Your application will be automatically refused if you fail to include test results.
2. I don't know. Hopefully others can comment.
3. No - this won't make any difference to your application.

XanderZ

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 15, 2013
AOR Received.
Nov 22, 2013
Med's Request
Apr 24, 2014
Med's Done....
May 1, 2014
Passport Req..
Feb 5, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 11, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 20, 2015
Re: applying CEC with post graduate work permit.

iwasjeff said:
Hello:

I am 7 months into my employment under post graduate work permit. This is my 11th year in Canada - graduated highschool, University with both BSc and MSc.

My 1 year employment term (when I would be eligible to apply for CEC immigration) is only 5 months away and I just want to be prepared.

This is the information I've received from CIC call center agent:

As a temporary foreign worker, to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), you must have:

Work experience* for 12 months within the 36 months preceding the date you submit your application. This work experience must have been obtained in a :
management occupation;
professional occupation;
technical occupation; or
skilled occupation;
A valid temporary resident status during the period of work that makes you eligible to apply under the CEC;

and

The ability to communicate in English or French.
Please note that periods of self-employment or unauthorized work will not be included when calculating the period of work experience.

My job as a feed formulator (animal nutritionist for livestocks) is a full time position which falls under Biologists and Related Scientists - NOC 2121 - LEVEL A

I am just inquiring some few tips for this application.

1. Would I need to take Language proficiency test? (I am sure so many other people have asked this questions, but I could not simply find this information)
3. Should I apply at 1 year mark of my employment or should I give some more time? maybe at 13 months or so? (I've seen many people on this forum being denied because CIC indicated that they did not meet this term)
4. Is there any tips that you can share?

Thank you very much in advance.
Hey iwasjeff,

Welcome aboard and congratz for finally be eligible for becoming a PR.
I can try to answer your questions as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you previously. I've been living here as an International Student, got my Bsc, got my post graduate work permit and have been living close to 7 years here before I apply for PR.

So here's my answer to your questions:

1. Would I need to take Language proficiency test? (I am sure so many other people have asked this questions, but I could not simply find this information)
- Regardless who you are, I think you do need to take language proficiency test since it's mandatory for all applicants

- I took CELPIP because it has closest available date in my area at that time. Having live in the country for 7 years.. I found the test is pretty easy..). So "In My Opinion", Always choose the one that has the most convenient date & location for you. :)

- If you apply under the same NOC category/job in that 1 year then yes; I think you can apply immediately after 1 year (just make sure you provide with a lot of details ex: letter of employment, reference, etc). If you got another job with "slightly" different job title during that 1 year employment, I would do a little bit more research and wait for a bit.. BUT If I were you, I'll play it safe and apply on my 13th or 14th months of employment

4. I also have my own house w/ mortgage approved - owned it for over 6 months now - will be a year by the time when I apply. Would this help with proving that I am contributing to Canadian Society?
- I actually just got a property myself too, but I'm not sure if "contributing to canadian society" is actually affecting this applications at all.. All I know is, if you bought a property as a foreigner (not PR), when you became a PR in 1 year after you bought that property, you'll get your property tax back :p haha

5. Is there any tips that you can share?
- 1. Just be thorough with all your applications, double check, triple check and quadruple check since there's a lot of documents that we need to prepare and submit initially (also don't forget to keep a personal copy of all the documents & forms that you submit)
- 2. Search and ask the forum if you're not sure regarding certain case/scenario, this forum has been a great help especially for me since I got a lot of info regarding what we should and shouldnt do, even on how to apply bridging open work permit, gcms, etc.
- 3. (This is the hard part), after you got the Acknowledgement Of Receipt (AOR) that indicated your application is complete and ready to be processed, you need to be PATIENT.. because the processing timeline for each applicants might be varied.. Ex. A buddy of mine who applied on the same day as me landed as a PR 3 months ago, while I'm still waiting for my PPR news.. lol

well anyway.. good luck and hope that helps you! :D

iwasjeff

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Aug-2015
Doc's Request.
08-Sep-2015
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2015
IELTS Request
08-Sep-2015
Med's Done....
11-Sep-2015
Passport Req..
13-Jan-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-Jan-2016
LANDED..........
27-Jan-2016
scylla said:
1. Yes - an english test is mandatory. Your application will be automatically refused if you fail to include test results.
2. I don't know. Hopefully others can comment.
3. No - this won't make any difference to your application.

Thank you so much for your reply.

iwasjeff

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Aug-2015
Doc's Request.
08-Sep-2015
AOR Received.
31-Aug-2015
IELTS Request
08-Sep-2015
Med's Done....
11-Sep-2015
Passport Req..
13-Jan-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-Jan-2016
LANDED..........
27-Jan-2016
Re: applying CEC with post graduate work permit.

XanderZ said:
Hey iwasjeff,

Welcome aboard and congratz for finally be eligible for becoming a PR.
I can try to answer your questions as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you previously. I've been living here as an International Student, got my Bsc, got my post graduate work permit and have been living close to 7 years here before I apply for PR.

So here's my answer to your questions:

- Regardless who you are, I think you do need to take language proficiency test since it's mandatory for all applicants

- I took CELPIP because it has closest available date in my area at that time. Having live in the country for 7 years.. I found the test is pretty easy..). So "In My Opinion", Always choose the one that has the most convenient date & location for you. :)

- If you apply under the same NOC category/job in that 1 year then yes; I think you can apply immediately after 1 year (just make sure you provide with a lot of details ex: letter of employment, reference, etc). If you got another job with "slightly" different job title during that 1 year employment, I would do a little bit more research and wait for a bit.. BUT If I were you, I'll play it safe and apply on my 13th or 14th months of employment

- I actually just got a property myself too, but I'm not sure if "contributing to canadian society" is actually affecting this applications at all.. All I know is, if you bought a property as a foreigner (not PR), when you became a PR in 1 year after you bought that property, you'll get your property tax back :p haha

5. Is there any tips that you can share?
- 1. Just be thorough with all your applications, double check, triple check and quadruple check since there's a lot of documents that we need to prepare and submit initially (also don't forget to keep a personal copy of all the documents & forms that you submit)
- 2. Search and ask the forum if you're not sure regarding certain case/scenario, this forum has been a great help especially for me since I got a lot of info regarding what we should and shouldnt do, even on how to apply bridging open work permit, gcms, etc.
- 3. (This is the hard part), after you got the Acknowledgement Of Receipt (AOR) that indicated your application is complete and ready to be processed, you need to be PATIENT.. because the processing timeline for each applicants might be varied.. Ex. A buddy of mine who applied on the same day as me landed as a PR 3 months ago, while I'm still waiting for my PPR news.. lol

well anyway.. good luck and hope that helps you! :D

Thank you very much - I really hope that you get the good news!