+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Please help! Application returned. No status

Flutterby1

Jan 4, 2017
Hi All,

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me. My application for common law sponsorship was returned today as I didn't complete one of the forms correctly. My 2 year open work permit visa expired 2 days ago so i have no status in Canada right now. Should i quit my job right away? What do i need to i need to do???

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Flutterby1 said:
Hi All,

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me. My application for common law sponsorship was returned today as I didn't complete one of the forms correctly. My 2 year open work permit visa expired 2 days ago so i have no status in Canada right now. Should i quit my job right away? What do i need to i need to do???
Was it an IEC? If so, you would have had to quit anyways as they aren't extendable, so technically the OWP application would not give you implied worker status. You need to apply for restoration of status along with the OWP.

Flutterby1

Jan 4, 2017
Aquakitty said:
Was it an IEC? If so, you would have had to quit anyways as they aren't extendable, so technically the OWP application would not give you implied worker status. You need to apply for restoration of status along with the OWP.
I thought i was on implied status as i applied for owp extension with my common law pr application. Can i apply for restoration of status from Canada? Do i also need to apply for a visitor visa now as my IEC is over? Thanks so much for the reply, I should have hired a lawyer, I obviously have no idea about this

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Flutterby1 said:
I thought i was on implied status as i applied for owp extension with my common law pr application. Can i apply for restoration of status from Canada? Do i also need to apply for a visitor visa now as my IEC is over? Thanks so much for the reply, I should have hired a lawyer, I obviously have no idea about this
You don't need a lawyer. I assume you are visa-exempt if you have an IEC? Because the IEC is not extendable it would not give you implied status as a worker. It does give you implied status as a visitor.

Yes of course you apply for restoration from inside Canada. If you weren't in Canada you would have no status ;)

You can ether send a paper restoration form along with your OWP/PR application, or you can apply online for the restoration here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

then once that is approved, send in your OWP form.

Either way, you have to pay another $200 for the restoration.

Remember, you either have to send them together, or apply for the restoration first. You can't get the OWP without status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Flutterby1 said:
You need to stop working immediately. You will not be able to work again until you have the OWP approved.

The simplest thing to do is apply for Restoration when you re-submit your OWP and PR app.

Flutterby1

Jan 4, 2017
Thank you guys. I will resubmit the PR application along with restoration and OWP applications. One more question.. do i need to pay for the PR and OWP applications again? I had already paid $255 for OWP and $1040 for PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Flutterby1 said:
Thank you guys. I will resubmit the PR application along with restoration and OWP applications. One more question.. do i need to pay for the PR and OWP applications again? I had already paid $255 for OWP and $1040 for PR.
No, you don't need to pay those again. You just need to pay the $200 Restoration fee.

The Restoration and OWP apps are one and the same; on the OWP form, you select both options.

Flutterby1

Jan 4, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
No, you don't need to pay those again. You just need to pay the $200 Restoration fee.
Thank you so much canuck_in_uk and Aquakitty you have been a godsend..I thought I was illegally in the country all day!!! Enjoy a green beer tomorrow knowing you saved an Irish girl from pulling her hair out with worry!!!!

Flutterby1

Jan 4, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
You need to stop working immediately. You will not be able to work again until you have the OWP approved.

The simplest thing to do is apply for Restoration when you re-submit your OWP and PR app.
I have stopped working and will re-submit OWP with PR app- now that I'm not working, on the OWP form am i applying for work permit with same employer or initial work permit with new employer?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Flutterby1 said:
I have stopped working and will re-submit OWP with PR app- now that I'm not working, on the OWP form am i applying for work permit with same employer or initial work permit with new employer?
Initial work permit.

Reactions: newsaeedr

newsaeedr

Dec 31, 2018
Thank you so much canuck_in_uk and Aquakitty you have been a godsend..I thought I was illegally in the country all day!!! Enjoy a green beer tomorrow knowing you saved an Irish girl from pulling her hair out with worry!!!!
I am facing a very similar case as yours in here. Can you help explain how it went for you?
I am thinking that I should resubmit the PR application and OWP, but I should change what I am applying for to "Restore my status as a worker". Is that how you proceeded? The options are the following:
- Apply for a work permit with the same employer
- Apply for a work permit for the first time with a new employer
- Restore my status as a worker
- Get a new temporary residence permit (for inadmissible applicants only)
and in the original application I chose the second one.
Did you add any restoration application paper form, or cover letter, to you re-submission package?

newsaeedr

Dec 31, 2018
Initial work permit.
I am a bit confused about this answer. Just to be clear, out of the following options:
- Apply for a work permit with the same employer
- Apply for a work permit for the first time with a new employer
- Restore my status as a worker
- Get a new temporary residence permit (for inadmissible applicants only)
are you saying that option 2 should be chosen? If I am applying to restore visitor status after IEC expiration, and at the same time applying for PR and OWP through common-law sponsorship, then shouldn't the choice be number 3? Or you are saying that it should be number 3 and number 2 at the same time?

Thanks