+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning to Sponsor. Any input would be appreciated.

canada_soft

Jan 23, 2017
Hi,

I currently have an Express Entry PR application which I am anticipating to be completed in a few months.
Once I obtain my Permanent Residency, I was planning on getting married in my home country with my fiance and have her apply for a visitor VISA. Once landed, I would apply to Sponsor her. With the same application, an Open Work Permit to allow her to work while the sponsorship application is being processed.

Any concerns or issues with this plan that I may have missed?
Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

I_Miss_Him

Star Member
May 22, 2016
Visa Office......
Beirut
App. Filed.......
December 2015
AOR Received.
January 2016
Med's Done....
upfront
Interview........
June 2016
Passport Req..
12-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-06-2017
It sounds like a good plan but I am wondering how easy it is for her to get a visitor's visa to Canada?This depends on which country you are from but usually it is hard for sponsored people because CIC is worried that she may not go back to her country when her temporary residency is over. You have to start working on proofs of ties to her country and proof that she has enough money to support herself financially if she comes to Canada.
CIC will only give her visitor visa if you can prove to them that she is going back by showing that she owns a property or business in her country or if she has a work contract over there. Also if she does not have a bank account, ask her to open one now and start putting money in it. She should have a good amount of money in the account (which must have accumulated over time, meaning she can't deposit them all at once) at the time she applies for a visitor visa.

Reactions: Belgiandank

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I currently have an Express Entry PR application which I am anticipating to be completed in a few months.
Once I obtain my Permanent Residency, I was planning on getting married in my home country with my fiance and have her apply for a visitor VISA. Once landed, I would apply to Sponsor her. With the same application, an Open Work Permit to allow her to work while the sponsorship application is being processed.

Any concerns or issues with this plan that I may have missed?
Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
There's a good chance the visitor visa will be refused.

As a PR, you must be living in Canada to submit the application to sponsor your spouse and must continue living in Canada while the application is processed. So I would say there's a pretty good chance your new spouse won't be able to accompany you back to Canada and you will have to live separately for a number of months while you wait for the PR application to be processed.

So I would say that's the big possibility you've missed.

canada_soft

Jan 23, 2017
There's a good chance the visitor visa will be refused.

As a PR, you must be living in Canada to submit the application to sponsor your spouse and must continue living in Canada while the application is processed. So I would say there's a pretty good chance your new spouse won't be able to accompany you back to Canada and you will have to live separately for a number of months while you wait for the PR application to be processed.

So I would say that's the big possibility you've missed.
Ahh, yes but on the off-chance she gets a Visitor VISA, is there any issue with me sponsoring her once she's here and applying for an OWP along with the sponsorship? Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ahh, yes but on the off-chance she gets a Visitor VISA, is there any issue with me sponsoring her once she's here and applying for an OWP along with the sponsorship? Thanks.
No issues if she's approved. Just make sure you have a plan in place if she's refused. Unfortunately that happens quite often.

canada_soft

Jan 23, 2017
No issues if she's approved. Just make sure you have a plan in place if she's refused. Unfortunately that happens quite often.
Follow up question, I just find it curious how sponsoring her when she's here is fine when she was given the Visitor VISA on the premise that she'd go home after its validity?

Won't sponsoring her and having her apply an OWP mean she didn't plan on returning home in the first place and raise red flags?

Thanks for the very prompt responses. Kudos.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Follow up question, I just find it curious how sponsoring her when she's here is fine when she was given the Visitor VISA on the premise that she'd go home after its validity?

Won't sponsoring her and having her apply an OWP mean she didn't plan on returning home in the first place and raise red flags?

Thanks for the very prompt responses. Kudos.
It's fine because she's already here. No - it won't raise and flags. People do it all the time here - it's very normal.

To get the visitor visa approved - she needs to show strong ties to her home country. That will be the hard part since she's married to a Canadian.

Reactions: canada_soft

canada_soft

Jan 23, 2017
Thanks for pointing me on the right direction Scylla, and very quickly too.

Now I know which part to focus on.