Planning to Miss Citizenship Test - Edmonton

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks all. I eventually heeded your advice and changed flights. It cost me $1,200 for myself and wife :-\ but I guess this is the one change I have control over. The test date I dont really have much control. Lets see how it goes. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again and goodluck to everyone. :)

kenyadian

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
CIC operate a one notice process for test, oath, CJ hearing etc. If you are a no show then you have to write a letter explaining your reason for missing the appointment. I was going on vacation doesn't fly...as per CIC severe illness, death or other emergency say flooding that locks down the city is what the 'acceptable' reasons are. If your reason isn't acceptable your file is closed administratively. If its acceptable you get re-scheduled at CIC's convenience...the forum has people waiting for 9-12 months to re-test. If your checks expire.....Cut your losses go for the test...you will always get another flight.

If the travel is more important notify CIC in writing you can't make it. See above for re-test timelines. CIC may also decide to RQ you...seems they tend to take the view that 'no shows' may not be living in Canada.
Hi there,

Going from personal experience - mine was in stark contrast to what Msafiri is describing. I was in a very similar dilemma to yours. My ceremony was a day before I was supposed to travel for a family wedding, and I didn't want to travel without my PR card, even though the airlines I spoke with said it was ok to present my certificate of citizenship(Thankfully, I didn't because I followed similar cases in the news in which the airlines have refused to let people return to Canada without a PR card). Though it may not work in your circumstance, I looked up the times that oath ceremonies were being held at the local CIC office. I picked a date just two or three days after I had received my letter, a week and half before my flight and showed up at the office right before the oath ceremony with all my documents(like I was going for the oath). My goal was to speak with a live CIC agent who was there that day to:

1. Show that I was in the country.
2. Explain my situation in person, and hopefully expedite my process.

I made sure I was dressed well since I went there during work hours(suit and tie - I've always felt that if you treat these situations like you were treating a professional work event, you get more mileage), and stood in line for the ceremony document checkers. When I got to the front, I explained my situation to the lady and asked if she could help. She said she would have to speak to her boss and to wait to the side. I even half-joked that I could take the ceremony now with the rest of the group(she laughed and said, "we don't have your certificate ready yet"). As I waited for her boss to show up, I spoke with a young security officer who was manning the front desk. He told me not to worry, and as long as I send the appropriate letter, travel documents etc, my ceremony would be postponed to one month or so after my original date.

Shortly after, the supervisor showed up. He was very nice and understanding and heard me out. He told me not to worry and took a copy of my ceremony invitation letter. He gave me his name, and email, and asked me to send a letter by post including supporting documentation as to why I couldn't attend the ceremony. He also told me that these situations are common and CIC would definitely expedite my ceremony(like the security guard mentioned). I even gave him my business card and thanked him for his time. Anyway, I sent the letter addressed to him, by post shortly after and left for my trip.

I received a letter shortly after my trip with a new date for the ceremony. It was scheduled in less than a month.

In summary, my experience can be summarized to this:

1. If you go, dress well, treat it like a job interview. First impressions count.
2. Take all your documents when you go, type up a letter explaining why you can't go for your ceremony. That way you can hand it to someone there who can look after it for you. Get their name if you do.
3. CIC isn't a bunch of monsters that we think they are. They deal with hundreds of thousands of cases, and have seen stories similar to yours a million times over. If you are polite to them, they will listen to you.

Good luck with your situation. Just remember, my situation might have just been pure luck. You are welcome to try and do the same. You may or may not have similar results.

Cheers,

Kenyadian

kenyadian

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alabaman said:
Thanks all. I eventually heeded your advice and changed flights. It cost me $1,200 for myself and wife :-\ but I guess this is the one change I have control over. The test date I dont really have much control. Lets see how it goes. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again and goodluck to everyone. :)
hah - I should have read to the end of the thread. I guess you've already changed your flights - in my case it would have run into thousands since my entire family would have to change their plans.

Congrats on getting your ceremony and on becoming a citizen very soon!!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
This is correct. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=910&t=5

What should I do if I missed my citizenship test?

The steps you should take if you did not attend your citizenship test depend on if we sent you:

a first notice to write the test,
a final notice to write the test, or
a notice to re-write the test.

I was sent my first notice to write the test

If this was the first time you were asked to write the test, you can:

- contact us to let us know you missed the test, or
- wait to be automatically rescheduled for another date
The issue is moot now with the OP deciding to re-schedule his flights but useful to refer to actual legislation and operational practice including issued bulletins on file closure as opposed to relying on a help centre answer that is/may be outdated.

As per Notice To Appear - To Write A Citizenship Test And For Verification Of Identity/Documents - Form CIT0023 (12-2013)E GCMS

Para 3 - quoted verbatim

"This is your only notice inviting you to write the citizenship test and to be interviewed by a citizenship officer in connection with your application for Canadian Citizenship. If you cannot attend at the date, time and place indicated above, we will consider that you no longer have an interest in pursuing your application. Therefore please be advised that if you cannot attend this scheduled test, and we do not hear from you with acceptable reason for not attending your scheduled test, and within 60 days from the date of your scheduled appointment, your file will be closed and we will be refunding the $100 right of citizenship fee. You will need to submit a new application and any applicable fees in order to become a Canadian Citizen."

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kenyadian said:
Hi there,

Going from personal experience - mine was in stark contrast to what Msafiri is describing. I was in a very similar dilemma to yours. My ceremony was a day before I was supposed to travel for a family wedding, and I didn't want to travel without my PR card, even though the airlines I spoke with said it was ok to present my certificate of citizenship(Thankfully, I didn't because I followed similar cases in the news in which the airlines have refused to let people return to Canada without a PR card). Though it may not work in your circumstance, I looked up the times that oath ceremonies were being held at the local CIC office. I picked a date just two or three days after I had received my letter, a week and half before my flight and showed up at the office right before the oath ceremony with all my documents(like I was going for the oath). My goal was to speak with a live CIC agent who was there that day to:

The issue is with no shows where an acceptable reason has to be provided. You were not a no show...you re-scheduled. You can re-schedule for any reason or no reason. What you did was re-schedule in person which was dealt with via correspondence as it should be. You lucked out with an easy going CIC crew...showing up on the day without invitation be it for oath, test, interview etc usually gets you bounced. There is no resource and further as per operational policy to deal with walk ins.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also in my case it is a test. Yeah I thought going in there to talk to someone but that could go etiher ways sometimes and also depends on who you meet. Also considering that I got a pre test RQ, it would be safe not to miss the test this instance.