+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Planning on Soft Landing via Air at Toronto Airport YYZ

sprysom91

Jan 25, 2022
Hi Everyone !

Posting a couple of questions to get some clarity on my future steps. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate the guidance.

My COPR expires end of March 2022. I am currently in the US and planning on a soft landing via air at Toronto airport YYZ :

1. I intend on flying into Toronto in the morning, completing the immigration process and returning back to US on the same day on an evening flight. Would this be feasible or do I have to stay in Toronto for longer - like a week ?
2. I was wondering if the immigration officer asked any questions on the address to mail the PR card to. Can I give a friend's residential address to have my PR card mailed? I read some posts about not being able to do that
3. Can I apply for my health card at YYZ?

Thanks again :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. I intend on flying into Toronto in the morning, completing the immigration process and returning back to US on the same day on an evening flight. Would this be feasible or do I have to stay in Toronto for longer - like a week ?
2. I was wondering if the immigration officer asked any questions on the address to mail the PR card to. Can I give a friend's residential address to have my PR card mailed? I read some posts about not being able to do that
1. Should technically be okay but possibly cutting it close. Note,especially with covid requirements, which I'm not going to touch on at all here.
2. I doubt they will ask.
3. Do not apply for health card in Ontario until you return to settle - you'll require documentation of your factual resdience, and more importantly, you would cause problems for yourself later (when they discover you did not reside in Ontario). You'll be fine applying for it later when you return to reside.

Do, however, take whatever steps necessary to get a SIN. I beleive can be done at airport but not during all hours.

Reactions: sprysom91

sprysom91

Jan 25, 2022
1. Should technically be okay but possibly cutting it close. Note,especially with covid requirements, which I'm not going to touch on at all here.
2. I doubt they will ask.
3. Do not apply for health card in Ontario until you return to settle - you'll require documentation of your factual resdience, and more importantly, you would cause problems for yourself later (when they discover you did not reside in Ontario). You'll be fine applying for it later when you return to reside.

Do, however, take whatever steps necessary to get a SIN. I beleive can be done at airport but not during all hours.
Thank you so much armoured ! Getting my travel plans ready now :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much armoured ! Getting my travel plans ready now :)
there are residency requirements to qualify for healthcare so unless you plan on returning soon after your soft landing you don’t qualify to get a health care. You should try to get your SIN card but it’s not the end of the world if you can’t. Depending on the agent you may or may not be ok giving your friend’s address.

Reactions: sprysom91

sprysom91

Jan 25, 2022
there are residency requirements to qualify for healthcare so unless you plan on returning soon after your soft landing you don’t qualify to get a health care. You should try to get your SIN card but it’s not the end of the world if you can’t. Depending on the agent you may or may not be ok giving your friend’s address.
Thank you canuck78 ! :) I'm planning on getting my SIN if I have the time, if not then I'll apply for both cards after I move. Would you know what might be the next steps if the agent is not ok with me giving my friend's address?

abj1987

Apr 4, 2022
Hi Everyone !

Posting a couple of questions to get some clarity on my future steps. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate the guidance.

My COPR expires end of March 2022. I am currently in the US and planning on a soft landing via air at Toronto airport YYZ :

Thanks again :)
Hi, did you complete your soft landing yet? If yes, can you please share your experience?

milakoch

Apr 6, 2022
@armoured

I did my soft landing in January from US via air. Still waiting for PR Card, I have to move in a month or two, but not sure if PR Card would reach the Canada address by then.

I am aware of the PRTD option to travel, but would this cause any hindrance to my PR Card application?
Would they provide me PRTD as my case is not PR card expiry?

Other than PRTD is it possible to travel with the COPR letter I got back when I did soft landing? Many folks are saying this is possible but are unable to confirm or have not heard anyone who did so recently. Appreciate your response.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@armoured

I did my soft landing in January from US via air. Still waiting for PR Card, I have to move in a month or two, but not sure if PR Card would reach the Canada address by then.

I am aware of the PRTD option to travel, but would this cause any hindrance to my PR Card application?

Other than PRTD is it possible to travel with the COPR letter I got back when I did soft landing? Many folks are saying this is possible but are unable to confirm or have not heard anyone who did so recently. Appreciate your response.
As long as you are returning to Canada on the road by private vehicle or on foot, you can use the used COPR.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@armoured

Are you a US citizen? Do you want to fly or drive?

AverageIndianGuy

Star Member
Apr 10, 2020
Hi all,
I am currently in Dubai awaiting for stamped passport and planning to get to Canada asap.

Just wondering is soft landing still a thing? Can i travel to Canada for a week and meet all obligations like pr card, sin number and comeback? How long it will take to get PR card? (i would be giving my cousin's address in Ottawa).

My plan is to comeback to Dubai and wind up my job and stuff here and finally settle down after 2months, if possible want to visit home for two weeks as well.... What would be the best pathway for me to follow...
Thanks in advance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
PR card will take from 30-110 days or so. If you give an address in Canada, somebody could send it to you.

Therefore the only issue with your plan is not having PR card to travel back to Canada. You could arrive by land border from USA if you have visa to there, or apply for PRTD. PRTD processing time is uncertain.

Reactions: AverageIndianGuy

AverageIndianGuy

Star Member
Apr 10, 2020
PR card will take from 30-110 days or so. If you give an address in Canada, somebody could send it to you.

Therefore the only issue with your plan is not having PR card to travel back to Canada. You could arrive by land border from USA if you have visa to there, or apply for PRTD. PRTD processing time is uncertain.
Thank you for the help...

So my visa that is to be stamped on my passport is only vanlid one entry to Canada, right?
I cannot travel back as long as that visa valid or something like that option is not there right...

Reading some prtd posts gives me the idea that its going to be nightmare, i have already waited for this too long, now again waiting for prtd would be unbearable....

Any other solutions that we can think of?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So my visa that is to be stamped on my passport is only vanlid one entry to Canada, right?
YOu can look at the visa and see what it says: no. of entries.

Reading some prtd posts gives me the idea that its going to be nightmare, i have already waited for this too long, now again waiting for prtd would be unbearable....
It very much depends for prtd, but no-one can promise you - as a new PR you WILL be in compliance with the residency obligation (automatically) and so it can/should be processed relatively quickly. The ones that take much much longer is usually because they are clearly out of compliance and asking for an H&C decision.

But no-one can tell you how quickly that might be.

I do not know of any work=arounds other than mentioned: stay in Canada until you get your PR card; get your PR card mailed to you; apply for a PRTD; or travel through USA.

Reactions: AverageIndianGuy