+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pipe dreams? (Immigrant stories)

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
When you are young, it is easier to find a job and accept a lower paid. When you are 35 and over, it's really hard to start from beginning. You will expect to get a senior position and high salary; however, it won't happen.

I came to Canada when I was in my 20s. I found a starting job and slowly moved up. Right now, my Indian colleagues are 10 - 15 years older than me and in the same position as me. They were high rank managers with Masters degree, rich and years of experiences in India before moving to Canada.

My friend was a VP for a bank with top MBA from Germany and an honor degree from Holland. When she came to Canada, she can get a job as a business analyst and her salary is as high as the fresh graduate in this field.

However, if you ask these people, they are all happy with their moving decisions and enjoy their lives in Canada.

Reactions: axolotl

cmoncanada

Mar 22, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
30/03/2017
Med's Done....
20/03/2017
mtc1992 said:
I moved to canada in june 2015 as a ignorant 23 year old, with no friends, no job, no savings and really no prospects. I left behind a career too.

It took me about 4 months to get a career job, find a decent long term place and make good friends, I haven't looked back since.
4 months? That was fast actually...

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
21Goose said:
Corporate Marketing. Not precisely advertising/PR
It depends on your area of work I think. If you work in one of the more portable areas (e.g. Finance, HR, IT) then it can be easier. The problem is when you need to locally licensed to work in your profession or when you work in an area of low demand. Medical and clinical professionals and those from a management background tend to suffer worst from this I think.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eagleeye_a said:
I was really eager to move to Canada, to start a new life, and maybe even for the first time put down roots, buy a house, etc... but if that means starting from square one (working in "survival jobs", which I had done at the start of my working life), where none of my qualifications and experience count for anything, I'm not sure that's a trade-off I'm willing to make at this point in my life. The bar to get PR in Canada is not "low", specifically for the skilled workers program, but it seems like many of the people who pass the immigration hurdle have to settle with "survival jobs".

The general impression, i get, is that, unless you have a job ready and waiting for you, in your specific field, it might be prudent to reevaluate your expectations vs the reality.

I don't want to seem overly negative or cautious, or to dissuade anyone from moving to Canada. Just be cautious and research the situation "on the ground" to get a clearer idea of what to expect, and then make your decision.

I'm wondering what those of you currently in Canada think about the above as well. Is it accurate? Am I way off the mark?
It's true that if you are an outland FSW, you better secure a good job in your field before landing here in Canada.

Canada already has an abundant amount of former international students and the local workforce right here, so why would they choose someone coming straight from a foreign country? Life in Canada is not a dream, if the local people even have trouble landing a good paying job and buying a detached house (in Vancouver and Toronto), then an FSW should be prepared for the worse scenarios.

monavy

Aug 20, 2013
Alexios07 said:
It's true that if you are an outland FSW, you better secure a good job in your field before landing here in Canada.

Canada already has an abundant amount of former international students and the local workforce right here, so why would they choose someone coming straight from a foreign country? Life in Canada is not a dream, if the local people even have trouble landing a good paying job and buying a detached house (in Vancouver and Toronto), then an FSW should be prepared for the worse scenarios.
But isn't the purpose of Express Entry to improve quality of candidates?
If yes than shouldn't it improve the chances of employement for better qualified candidates?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
monavy said:
But isn't the purpose of Express Entry to improve quality of candidates?
If yes than shouldn't it improve the chances of employement for better qualified candidates?
Yes, if you're comparing only Express Entry candidates. Employers, however, don't care. They are looking for the best fit for the job, and here you're competing with equally/more qualified Canadians with native fluency and Canadian work experience.

Not to say you can't get a job, of course, but the improving quality of the EE pool has nothing to do with it.

eagleeye_a

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
Here's another article with some more stats; take from it what you will.
canadianimmigrant.ca/community/integration/why-some-immigrants-want-to-leave-canada

@karenv
I concur, i think the age of the person moving matters a lot. If someone is in their early 20s, "starting over" is not really a big setback. However, if someone is in their mid-30s, with a career, the prospect of going back to square 1 (professional/occupational, pay/benefits set-back) that's a possibility the person *should* be aware of and ready for, before moving IMHO.

@Bloodrose
Great point, the occupation plays a role as well. And i have to confess that my occupation/skills are far more portable than the friends I mentioned in my original post.

@cmoncanada
4 months is fast? Really? What's surprising to me is that you seem to think that is a short time! :) .... For me, with ~8+ years of work experience, being without work for 4 months would drive me up the walls.

@monavy
It seems like the government of Canada and Canadian businesses view non-Canadian qualifications and experience differently.

@mtc1992
Congratulations! That's great to hear and i'm glad it worked out fine for you. I'm sure if I was 23 as well, I wouldn't think twice about moving.

I hope others post their experiences here (positive/negative/challenges) so more people get a clearer picture of what it's like.

Cheers

fatani

Nov 15, 2015
eagleeye_a said:
canadianimmigrant.ca/community/integration/why-some-immigrants-want-to-leave-canada

@karenv
I concur, i think the age of the person moving matters a lot. If someone is in their early 20s, "starting over" is not really a big setback. However, if someone is in their mid-30s, with a career, the prospect of going back to square 1 (professional/occupational, pay/benefits set-back) that's a possibility the person *should* be aware/ready of before moving IMHO.

@Bloodrose
Great point, the occupation plays a role as well. And i have to confess that my occupation/skills are far more portable than the friends I mentioned in my original post.

@cmoncanada
4 months is fast? Really? What's surprising to me is that you seem to think that is a short time! :) .... For me, with ~8+ years of work experience, being without work for 4 months would drive me up the walls.

@monavy
It seems like the government of Canada and Canadian businesses view non-Canadian qualifications and experience differently.

@mtc1992
Congratulations! That's great to hear and i'm glad it worked out fine for you. I'm sure if I was 23 as well, I wouldn't think twice about moving.

I hope others post their experiences here (positive/negative/challenges) so more people get a clearer picture of what it's like.

Cheers
Who is forcing you to move to canada. Everyone here are educated adults they know what they are doing if you think that canada has nothing to offer to you then decline your ITA or if you have submitted app then cancel it. If person A is facing difficulties it does not mean person B will face those as well.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
karenv said:
My friend was a Vice President for ANZ bank with top MBA from Germany and an honor degree from Holland. When she came to Canada, she can only get a job as a business analyst in BMO and her salary is as high as the fresh graduate in this field.
That's just the start, it doesn't necessarily mean that she'll remain a BA for the rest of her life ... if she's qualified, experienced and worked on building the right connections she could definately bounce back to an executive job

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
cmoncanada said:
4 months? That was fast actually...
It took me 4 months too to get my first job offer in canada , i have some friends who got job offers in 2 weeks and others who got their first job after 1 year of job searching..determination is the key.

MZASAM

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Friends:

The experiences, perspectives shared on this thread are motivating and scary at the same time.

Well, always merits and demerits are associated with the decision to immigrate.

Before I entered the pool, my company (A Multinational) assured me of a job opportunity in Toronto.

I got the PR. Now my company does not have a opportunity in Toronto. Now I have decided to move on with PR.

I have 6 years of experience on Oracle as a Software Engineer after my masters. I come across many openings on Oracle platform.

Since I got the ITA, I made up my mind to complete the Canadian certifications; CCBA and CBAP which are preferred by employers.

I already completed CCBA and appearing for CBAP which I will crack before I land in July. I already have Six Sigma.

Hope fully all these qualifications, experience and certifications will be helpful in getting a job.

cmoncanada

Mar 22, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
30/03/2017
Med's Done....
20/03/2017
eagleeye_a said:

@karenv
I concur, i think the age of the person moving matters a lot. If someone is in their early 20s, "starting over" is not really a big setback. However, if someone is in their mid-30s, with a career, the prospect of going back to square 1 (professional/occupational, pay/benefits set-back) that's a possibility the person *should* be aware/ready of before moving IMHO.

@Bloodrose

@cmoncanada

@monavy

@mtc1992

Cheers
Well... was it a job in the area and level you wanted?

cmoncanada

Mar 22, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
30/03/2017
Med's Done....
20/03/2017
eagleeye_a said:
I haven't moved to Canada, nor have I gotten a job there.
Confused names.

eagleeye_a

Star Member
Jan 4, 2017
MZASAM said:
Friends:

The experiences, perspectives shared on this thread are motivating and scary at the same time.

Well, always merits and demerits are associated with the decision to immigrate.

Before I entered the pool, my company (A Multinational) assured me of a job opportunity in Toronto.

I got the PR. Now my company does not have a opportunity in Toronto. Now I have decided to move on with PR.

I have 6 years of experience on Oracle as a Software Engineer after my masters. I come across many openings on Oracle platform.

Since I got the ITA, I made up my mind to complete the Canadian certifications; CCBA and CBAP which are preferred by employers.

I already completed CCBA and appearing for CBAP which I will crack before I land in July. I already have Six Sigma.

Hope fully all these qualifications, experience and certifications will be helpful in getting a job.
I think, realistic expectations are the key. Best of luck!

Here's another thread from these forums: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/us-work-experience-useful-t46812.0.html
To summarize: "...IT manager job I had for the previous 14 years..." (in the US)... can't find work in Canada....the suggestion from someone else... "...you might have to start off as a system administrator or even tech support".