+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pilot Program in artificial intelligence and IT

PBBB

Star Member
Jul 24, 2023
Hi,

Looking at the Quebec Immigration Act "Permanent immigration pilot program for workers in the artificial intelligence, information technologies and visual effects sectors", there is no age discrimination. Furthermore, have a loot at M.O. 2021-002, s. 10. If there is nothing else against you:

The selection conditions of the Information technologies and visual effects component are the following:
(1) where applicable, have stayed in Québec with the main purpose of working or taking part in a youth exchange program under an international agreement entered into by Québec or Canada;
(2) hold a diploma corresponding minimally to a Québec diploma of college studies in a technical program or to a Québec university diploma attesting to a bachelor’s degree;
(3) have held full-time eligible employment, for a period of at least 24 months in the 60 months preceding the date of filing of the application;
(4) hold or have accepted full-time eligible employment in Québec whose hourly wage is greater than the ninth decile of the average hourly wage of the last 3 years available for that employment, as estimated by the Minister of Employment and Social Solidarity.

Cheers and best of luck!

V.
Thanks for your reply. I havr read this info but i have a question - my lmia was approved for noc 2161 and i don't know if this will be counted as experience towards the 24 months required

Plus do you have any idea when will the application for next year open?

vision2011

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for your reply. I havr read this info but i have a question - my lmia was approved for noc 2161 and i don't know if this will be counted as experience towards the 24 months required

Plus do you have any idea when will the application for next year open?
Hi,

This is my view, I think you should ask other or consult an immigration agent/lawyer. Here is what I see as a keyword: eligible employment, and below they continue:

(3) have held full-time eligible employment, for a period of at least 24 months in the 60 months preceding the date of filing of the application;
(4) hold or have accepted full-time eligible employment in Québec whose hourly wage is greater than the ninth decile of the average hourly wage of the last 3 years available for that employment, as estimated by the Minister of Employment and Social Solidarity.

And here:

For the purposes of this component, eligible employment means any of the following professions, according to the National Occupational Classification, with the conditions that, as the case may be, are associated to it:
(1) information systems analysts and consultants (code 2171);
(2) graphic designers and illustrators (code 5241), but only if it is carried out in the visual effects sector;
(3) computer and information systems managers (code 0213);
(4) software engineers and designers (code 2173);
(5) electrical and electronics engineers (code 2133);
(6) producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations (code 5131), but only if it is carried out in the visual effects sector;
(7) computer programmers and interactive media developers (code 2174);
(8) audio and video recording technicians (code 5225), but only if it is carried out in the visual effects sector;
(9) computer network technicians (code 2281);
(10) electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians (code 2241).

So my own view is, anything else outside this list would not be counted. I guess, you need to ask others or consult an immigration agent or a lawyer for the interpretation.

The program usually opens around the end of the year, you may keep an eye on the same website - the program page.

Cheers,

V.

PBBB

Star Member
Jul 24, 2023
Hi,

This is my view, I think you should ask other or consult an immigration agent/lawyer. Here is what I see as a keyword: eligible employment, and below they continue:

And here:

For the purposes of this component, eligible employment means any of the following professions, according to the National Occupational Classification, with the conditions that, as the case may be, are associated to it:
(1) information systems analysts and consultants (code 2171);
(2) graphic designers and illustrators (code 5241), but only if it is carried out in the visual effects sector;
(3) computer and information systems managers (code 0213);
(4) software engineers and designers (code 2173);
(5) electrical and electronics engineers (code 2133);
(6) producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations (code 5131), but only if it is carried out in the visual effects sector;
(7) computer programmers and interactive media developers (code 2174);
(8) audio and video recording technicians (code 5225), but only if it is carried out in the visual effects sector;
(9) computer network technicians (code 2281);
(10) electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians (code 2241).

So my own view is, anything else outside this list would not be counted. I guess, you need to ask others or consult an immigration agent or a lawyer for the interpretation.

The program usually opens around the end of the year, you may keep an eye on the same website - the program page.

Cheers,

V.
Yeah but this info doesn't come from the official MIDI webpage. So i am not sure what to do at this point...

vision2011

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah but this info doesn't come from the official MIDI webpage. So i am not sure what to do at this point...
I am lost here, what info are you talking about? The Quebec regulations/Quebec immigration act? That's the law and when they refuse you, that's their reference and that's what they are going to write to you. If I were in your shoes, I will consult with an immigration lawyer and the law changes all the time. Or there are other better alternatives. We may focus on these points because everyone is what they are talking about.

They actually said it on the MIFI Website:

https://www.quebec.ca/en/immigration/work-quebec/skilled-workers/artificial-intelligence/selection-conditions

If you are submitting an application and you are currently working in Québec as a temporary foreign worker, you must have respected the conditions of your stay in Québec:

• under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) or the International Mobility Program (IMP);
    or
  • under a youth exchange program, for example, through a:
    • Working Holiday permit;
    • Young Professionals permit;
    • International Coop Internship.
In all of these cases, you must also:

• hold a diploma that minimally corresponds to a Québec diploma of college studies – technical training, or a Québec bachelor’s degree;
  • have held an eligible job:
    • on a full-time basis;
    • for a period of at least 24 months;
    • during the 60 months preceding submission of your application for permanent selection.
  • hold or have accepted an eligible job in Québec:
    • on a full-time basis;
    • whose hourly wage is equal to the maximum wage for your profession (9th decile of the wage for your profession).

PBBB

Star Member
Jul 24, 2023
I am lost here, what info are you talking about? The Quebec regulations/Quebec immigration act? That's the law and when they refuse you, that's their reference and that's what they are going to write to you. If I were in your shoes, I will consult with an immigration lawyer and the law changes all the time. Or there are other better alternatives. We may focus on these points because everyone is what they are talking about.

They actually said it on the MIFI Website:

https://www.quebec.ca/en/immigration/work-quebec/skilled-workers/artificial-intelligence/selection-conditions

If you are submitting an application and you are currently working in Québec as a temporary foreign worker, you must have respected the conditions of your stay in Québec:

• under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) or the International Mobility Program (IMP);
    or
  • under a youth exchange program, for example, through a:
    • Working Holiday permit;
    • Young Professionals permit;
    • International Coop Internship.
In all of these cases, you must also:

• hold a diploma that minimally corresponds to a Québec diploma of college studies – technical training, or a Québec bachelor’s degree;
  • have held an eligible job:
    • on a full-time basis;
    • for a period of at least 24 months;
    • during the 60 months preceding submission of your application for permanent selection.
  • hold or have accepted an eligible jobin Québec:
    • on a full-time basis;
    • whose hourly wage is equal to the maximum wage for your profession (9th decile of the wage for your profession).
On the website it just says "eligible jobs" but it does not give any info which ones are these eligible jobs.

vision2011

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
On the website it just says "eligible jobs" but it does not give any info which ones are these eligible jobs.
Trust me, I wish I can give you what you are looking for now, but if you are willing to pay $869 and give it a shot - please go for it.
They put the list on the Website too:

1. Consult the list below and go the the page containing the National Occupational Classification (NOC) code that applies to your profession.
  • NOC 2171 – Information systems analyst and consultant*
  • NOC 5241 – Graphic designer and illustrator, but only if your job is in the visual effects sector*
  • NOC 0213 – Computer and information systems manager*
  • NOC 2173 – Software engineer and designer*
  • NOC 2133 – Electrical and electronics engineer
  • NOC 5131 – Producer, director, choreographer and related occupations, but only if your job is in the visual effects sector
  • NOC 2174 – Computer programmer and interactive media developer*
  • NOC 5225 – Audio and video recording technician, but only if your job is in the visual effects sector*
  • NOC 2281 – Computer network technician
  • NOC 2241 – Electrical and electronics engineering technologist and technician
* Note that video games are included in the term Information Technology.
2. In the diagram, check the maximum hourly wage for your profession. Your salary must be equal to or greater than that wage.

PBBB

Star Member
Jul 24, 2023
Trust me, I wish I can give you what you are looking for now, but if you are willing to pay $869 and give it a shot - please go for it.
They put the list on the Website too:

1. Consult the list below and go the the page containing the National Occupational Classification (NOC) code that applies to your profession.
  • NOC 2171 – Information systems analyst and consultant*
  • NOC 5241 – Graphic designer and illustrator, but only if your job is in the visual effects sector*
  • NOC 0213 – Computer and information systems manager*
  • NOC 2173 – Software engineer and designer*
  • NOC 2133 – Electrical and electronics engineer
  • NOC 5131 – Producer, director, choreographer and related occupations, but only if your job is in the visual effects sector
  • NOC 2174 – Computer programmer and interactive media developer*
  • NOC 5225 – Audio and video recording technician, but only if your job is in the visual effects sector*
  • NOC 2281 – Computer network technician
  • NOC 2241 – Electrical and electronics engineering technologist and technician
* Note that video games are included in the term Information Technology.
2. In the diagram, check the maximum hourly wage for your profession. Your salary must be equal to or greater than that wage.
Look i totally agree with what you are saying but the website is not clear on what are the eligible jobs. And also the NOCs are listed for the wage thing that needs to be on a specific level according to the noc. So you see now why im kinda confused on what theu consider eligible? But some webpages say that these nocs are the eligible jobs. Even when i called MIFI they didn't know how to answer

vision2011

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Look i totally agree with what you are saying but the website is not clear on what are the eligible jobs. And also the NOCs are listed for the wage thing that needs to be on a specific level according to the noc. So you see now why im kinda confused on what theu consider eligible? But some webpages say that these nocs are the eligible jobs. Even when i called MIFI they didn't know how to answer
Yeah, I also have been there, trust me. I applied to this program back in January 2023 with some information that was wrongly displayed on the browser.
Then, I got the intention to be refused, I consulted the browser wanting to make some argument and I used a different one - I looked silly. I was in the process to request a transfer to Quebec and have been in interviews for a senior role - obviously, the wage was not an issue and asked for a little time. Guess what, they told me that I have not accepted a job offer in Quebec yet, but I am welcome to look at Regular Skilled Worker Program, then rejection. I then got an invitation on day 3 from QRSWP. That's how I came to learn where they reference the rejection law. That link I sent you is the key, forget the mistake or misleading information on their website. That is the source of truth.

Last edited:

PBBB

Star Member
Jul 24, 2023
Yeah, I also have been there, trust me. I applied to this program back in January 2023 with some information that was wrongly displayed on the browser.
Then, I got the intention to be refused, I consulted the browser wanting to make some argument and I used a different one - I looked silly. I was in the process to request a transfer to Quebec and have been in interviews for a senior role - obviously, the wage was not an issue and asked for a little time. Guess what, they told me that I have not accepted a job offer in Quebec yet, but I am welcome to look at Regular Skilled Worker Program, then rejection. I then got an invitation on day 3 from QRSWP. That's how I came to learn where they reference the rejection law. That link I sent you is the key, forget the mistake or misleading information on their website. That is the source of truth.
I'm very appreciative of your help! I will have to ask my boss to change the lmia to 2171 i guess since with 2161 my job description is almost the same as 2171. Unfortunately i cannot apply for PEQ or QRSWP because my french is not that good to get a 7 on the exam

vision2011

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
I'm very appreciative of your help! I will have to ask my boss to change the lmia to 2171 i guess since with 2161 my job description is almost the same as 2171. Unfortunately i cannot apply for PEQ or QRSWP because my french is not that good to get a 7 on the exam
That’s a very good option - there you go. One important thing to keep in mind is that the Francisation gap fills faster by year. This year, the program opened on 28 Dec 2022 and the francisation part filled on 16 Feb 2023. So keep an eye on the program when opens. You could be putting documents together like reference letters from your employers and birth certificate that takes time to find - depends. I guess the forms are easy to complete and hand signed, and upload everything on arrima. I am not quite sure about your work experience, 2 years in last 5 years doesn’t have to be in Quebec.
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/rules-procedures.php

Best of luck!

V.

manirudh78

Aug 1, 2021
Hello all,
Hope you are keeping well.
I applied for CQS under the AI Pilot program. I have submitted my values test on 22nd April 2023 and since then there has been no update just says "waiting for treatment".

Can anyone who applied this year tell what's the time line?

Response much appreciated. Thanks.

mary_msh

Nov 4, 2021
Hi everyone.

For AI stream not the IT and Vision stream, I'm confused by the conditions. I want to know what you think about that.

Under foreign workers section, it has "or" between the conditions. What is the correct combination of these conditions?
Should a person who has 24 months work experience over that past 60 months also have a job with 75k outside Montreal or is the work experience enough? It looks like the or says either of these two but I'm not sure.
What do you think?
Thanks

vision2011

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Hi everyone.

For AI stream not the IT and Vision stream, I'm confused by the conditions. I want to know what you think about that.

Under foreign workers section, it has "or" between the conditions. What is the correct combination of these conditions?
Should a person who has 24 months work experience over that past 60 months also have a job with 75k outside Montreal or is the work experience enough? It looks like the or says either of these two but I'm not sure.
What do you think?
Thanks
Hey,

I was confused just like you and got rejected. It depends on your situation, but I assume you are not in Quebec.

Here below it is clear (apart from point (1), you should fulfill the rest of the points 2, 3, and 4). You could have that work experience overseas of 2 years in 5 years. Obviously, have a degree that is equivalent to a Quebec degree, but you need to have a job in Quebec or have accepted a job offer in Quebec that fulfills the 4th condition. Therefore, your work experience and a degree alone are not sufficient at all. I submitted in Francophone, excited that I would have been an exception - Noooooo. If you have 2 years, just focus on French you can make it next year with 3 years of work experience and B2 in French all components. I think, applying for a job from overseas is a mission impossible, probably transfer through your company might be an option as well.

The selection conditions of the Foreign worker subcomponent are the following:
(1) where applicable, have stayed in Québec with the main purpose of working or taking part in a youth exchange program under an international agreement entered into by Québec or Canada;
(2) hold a diploma corresponding minimally to a Québec university diploma attesting to a bachelor’s degree;
(3) have held level 0, A or B employment within the meaning of the National Occupational Classification full time for a period of at least 24 months in the 60 months preceding the date of filing of the application;
(4) hold or have accepted full-time employment in Québec, in the artificial intelligence sector, for which
(a) the expertise profile meets the requirements;
(b) the annual gross salary is at least $75,000 if the employer is established outside the territory of the Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal or at least $100,000 if it is established within the territory of the Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal.
The condition provided for in subparagraph 3 of the first paragraph does not apply where the diploma referred to in subparagraph 2 of the first paragraph corresponds to a Québec university diploma attesting to a master’s degree or a doctorate that has been obtained within 12 months preceding the date of filing of the application.

Cheers,

V.

mary_msh

Nov 4, 2021
Hey,

I was confused just like you and got rejected. It depends on your situation, but I assume you are not in Quebec.

Here below it is clear (apart from point (1), you should fulfill the rest of the points 2, 3, and 4). You could have that work experience overseas of 2 years in 5 years. Obviously, have a degree that is equivalent to a Quebec degree, but you need to have a job in Quebec or have accepted a job offer in Quebec that fulfills the 4th condition. Therefore, your work experience and a degree alone are not sufficient at all. I submitted in Francophone, excited that I would have been an exception - Noooooo. If you have 2 years, just focus on French you can make it next year with 3 years of work experience and B2 in French all components. I think, applying for a job from overseas is a mission impossible, probably transfer through your company might be an option as well.

The selection conditions of the Foreign worker subcomponent are the following:
(2) hold a diploma corresponding minimally to a Québec university diploma attesting to a bachelor’s degree;
(3) have held level 0, A or B employment within the meaning of the National Occupational Classification full time for a period of at least 24 months in the 60 months preceding the date of filing of the application;
(4) hold or have accepted full-time employment in Québec, in the artificial intelligence sector, for which
(a) the expertise profile meets the requirements;
(b) the annual gross salary is at least $75,000 if the employer is established outside the territory of the Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal or at least $100,000 if it is established within the territory of the Communauté métropolitaine de Montréal.
The condition provided for in subparagraph 3 of the first paragraph does not apply where the diploma referred to in subparagraph 2 of the first paragraph corresponds to a Québec university diploma attesting to a master’s degree or a doctorate that has been obtained within 12 months preceding the date of filing of the application.

Cheers,

V.

Thanks for reply.
I m in quebec and have a job in quebec but my salary is less than 100k. I was assumed with two years experience I will be eligible.
Are you sure you are rejected just because of your salary? Or because you weren’t in quebec?

vision2011

Star Member
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for reply.
I m in quebec and have a job in quebec but my salary is less than 100k. I was assumed with two years experience I will be eligible.
Are you sure you are rejected just because of your salary? Or because you weren’t in quebec?
I see,

You will have to fulfill the salary requirements. That's the only challenge you have. If you are outside of Montreal (75K).

I was not rejected because of any your suggestions. I will share with you how things went.
I have never been to Quebec and I applied for the program, while I was seeking a transfer through my company to Montreal. Everything was fine, but they gave me an IR that I do not hold or accepted an offer from Quebec (just like point 4). Here is something interesting, I had another EOI profile. I replied with all interviews I am going through and it was a senior role - the salary would not have been an issue at all (I can confirm that) and I listed all other interviews I was taking in Quebec from abroad and their progresses. Technically speaking, I had a better argument given the circumstances. Every thing went quiet. The rejection, came in saying that, you do not hold or accepted a full time employment in Quebec, therefore you do not comply with section 4. bla bla bla, at the end of the letter, they wrote, you should look into QRSWP. This was at 4:30 PM, while at 6:30 AM the same day there was a draw. On day 3 I was communicated that I have an ITA from QRSWP. So that's my side story. I think, you will have to fulfill all the conditions, it doesn't matter where you are - in Quebec or abroad. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

V.

Reactions: mary_msh