+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Presence forgot absence

Audrey2013

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017
Beaver tail said:
Don't worried!
I got similar situation as you. The only thing is I didn't realize about those missing trips until my Citizenship Test date last month.
I traveled on business trip a lot and I didn't put many of 1 day trip in the physical calculator form. (I didn't finish the calculator form in one shot. So, when I got back to finish it, I forgot that even it's a 1 day trip and it shows 0 day out of Canada on calculator, we still need to put it in the form)

On the test date, after finishing the test, you'll have interview with citizenship officer.
He/she will ask you about those missing out of Canada trip that you forgot to list.
Just write a letter explaining about the missing trip (date, duration, purpose of the trip) & bring the prove about that trip (tickets, hotel booking, etc.) So you can give it to him/her right away.
If you don't have those documents ready on that date, you just have to send them to the citizenship officer the other day. ;D
(the citizenship officer who dealt with my case was very kind and professional! She didn't put any pressure nor gave any bad comments because I missed many trips on the calculator form at all)
Thank you so much for sharing. I already prepare my e-tickets copy and letter.
I'm still waiting for my AOR.

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
I just mailed mine today and unfortunately made the same mistake. I had two versions of the physical presence calculator printed out. One was from before Christmas and I accidentally included that one instead of the one that included the Christmas trip home. I'm still eligible on the date of the application regardless. Am I going to have to redo the whole application now? :(

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wait until you receive the AOR - which will also contain your file number. When you receive it submit the following:

- an explanation letter
- a newly completed form - showing your actual time outwith Canada
- new signed pics

If you get it to them before your application is reviewed, you have a good chance.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Brad Smith said:
I just mailed mine today and unfortunately made the same mistake. I had two versions of the physical presence calculator printed out. One was from before Christmas and I accidentally included that one instead of the one that included the Christmas trip home. I'm still eligible on the date of the application regardless. Am I going to have to redo the whole application now? :(
Once you get AOR, contact CIC using your file# by webform and also send a letter to CIC stating the details.
With the updated form, I hope you still meet the residency requirements for citizenship purpose. I think you should send the updated/complete physical presence calculator form with an explanation letter both by webform as well as by mail. Make sure you mention your complete name/dob/citizenship file# etc etc.

I am not sure if the date on the updated physical presence form should be same as the date on the application that you have sent. You need to check this and accordingly date and send the form.

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
thecoolguysam said:
Once you get AOR, contact CIC using your file# by webform and also send a letter to CIC stating the details.
With the updated form, I hope you still meet the residency requirements for citizenship purpose. I think you should send the updated/complete physical presence calculator form with an explanation letter both by webform as well as by mail. Make sure you mention your complete name/dob/citizenship file# etc etc.

I am not sure if the date on the updated physical presence form should be same as the date on the application that you have sent. You need to check this and accordingly date and send the form.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it seems to put me off by 1 day. I could have sworn when I did the calculation awhile back that I had this right, but my mistake for not having the buffer.

I called CIC and they said I needed to mail a withdrawal form and letter immediately before they receive my application, but the withdrawal form requires the case number. They said I should be able to get a full refund if I do that, but once they receive it I cannot. Can anyone provide some clarity here? I'm a bit confused by the instructions I got vs. what I can find online and don't want to screw this up.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Brad Smith said:
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it seems to put me off by 1 day. I could have sworn when I did the calculation awhile back that I had this right, but my mistake for not having the buffer.

I called CIC and they said I needed to mail a withdrawal form and letter immediately before they receive my application, but the withdrawal form requires the case number. They said I should be able to get a full refund if I do that, but once they receive it I cannot. Can anyone provide some clarity here? I'm a bit confused by the instructions I got vs. what I can find online and don't want to screw this up.
You should not have applied without buffer. There should always be a buffer of 1 to 2 months. As you applied without buffer and makes your application prone to further delays and you may get residence questionnaire or additional document request etc and ultimately because you don't meet residency requirements for citizenship, you application may be denied or it's up to the cic officer to grant you citizenship or not.

Don't care about money at this point of time, just simply wait for the acknowledgement and then using the citizenship file# withdraw the application. Once it is successfully withdrawn, re-apply with additional buffer of 1 to 2 months.

Here is a helpful link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=735&top=18

You may get right of citizenship fee back: $100

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
thecoolguysam said:
You should not have applied without buffer. There should always be a buffer of 1 to 2 months. As you applied without buffer and makes your application prone to further delays and you may get residence questionnaire or additional document request etc and ultimately because you don't meet residency requirements for citizenship, you application may be denied or it's up to the cic officer to grant you citizenship or not.

Don't care about money at this point of time, just simply wait for the acknowledgement and then using the citizenship file# withdraw the application. Once it is successfully withdrawn, re-apply with additional buffer of 1 to 2 months.

You may get right of citizenship fee back: $100
Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not waiting for the buffer. I know better. But, what's done is done.

That's the link the call centre person directed me to, but she also instructed me to send the withdrawal letter now before I have a case file number and that the full $630 would be refunded/not taken (which doesn't seem to match what I've read elsewhere). I'm going to give them another call to clarify, and I'll budget another $630 for a new application just to be safe.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Brad Smith said:
Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not waiting for the buffer. I know better. But, what's done is done.

That's the link the call centre person directed me to, but she also instructed me to send the withdrawal letter now before I have a case file number and that the full $630 would be refunded/not taken (which doesn't seem to match what I've read elsewhere). I'm going to give them another call to clarify, and I'll budget another $630 for a new application just to be safe.
Try sending the withdrawal form now and see if it works and let us know how did it go. good luck!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Brad Smith said:
Brad Smith said:

Brad Smith said:

Some observations assuming that, as you indicate, you actually met the physical presence requirements as of the date you applied but included the wrong physical presence calculation, which should be clear on its face since the application date in the calculation form will not match the actual application date signed on the application form:

If the physical presence calculation does not at least appear to meet the presence requirements, it is likely the application will be returned, no AOR issued.

It is, quite likely, at least difficult and perhaps impossible to withdraw the application before processing has begun, and if the application cannot be withdrawn before processing has begun, the bulk of the fees are not refundable (only the $100 right of citizenship fee would be refundable).

It is, however, also possible the application will be returned, and then possibly resubmitted with corrections, in which event the paid fees should apply (and thus fees are not lost). Whether this is possible may depend on whether you can resubmit the application without changing the date of the application (correcting the presence calculation, if that is what is needed).

Longer explanation and clarifications:

On one hand there is a bit of a catch-22. AOR means IRCC has begun processing. It is difficult to submit something related to an application unless and until there is the AOR, which means the application is in process and there is a case number (which needs to be prominently indicated on what is being submitted). If IRCC begins processing an application, the bulk of the fee is NOT refundable (only the hundred dollar right of citizenship fee is refunded).

It is, thus, unclear whether it is even possible to "withdraw" an application before the application is in process. It seems not likely.

That said, before IRCC considers an application to be "in process," IRCC screens the application, checking to make sure the application is complete, the fees have been paid, and the application shows, on its face, that the applicant is eligible for citizenship. If the application does not pass this screening, it is returned to the applicant without any AOR, and as far as I am aware this is without any case number. (There are a number of topics in which other participants have discussed their application being returned to them; might be worthwhile responding to those participants querying whether their applications had an assigned "case number" when it was returned to them.)

In other words, if the Physical Presence Calculation is short, on its face, the application should be returned, and the application is not in process unless and until resubmitted with necessary and appropriate changes.

Is the full fee refundable in this event?

I do not know.

Can the fee be applied to a subsequent application made after or otherwise using a new physical presence calculation?

I am not sure about the answer to this question either, as it may depend.

The paid fee is applied if a returned application is resubmitted with fixes. Thus, for example, if the application was incomplete, it can be completed and resubmitted and the paid fee applies to this application.

Whether it works this way for an application returned because the applicant is not eligible on the face of the application, I do not know. As I initially suggested, it may depend on whether the applicant can resubmit the application as made on the same date as the original application.

Your initial post about this suggests the problem is you included the wrong presence calculation with the application, and that you were in fact eligible as of the date you made the application . . . in which case, the "application date" indicated in the presence calculation submitted would be the wrong date. In which case you should be able to resubmit the application (assuming it is returned to you, rather than being issued AOR) with the correct physical presence calculation. I am not certain it will work this way.

If this is how this goes, be sure to include a clear explanation of the mistake with the resubmitted application. IRCC will almost certainly compare the resubmitted application with the original (they keep a complete copy).

Brad Smith

Jan 3, 2008
I received the AOR yesterday and eCAS has updated today. No word yet on if my withdrawal letter and form has been received or if it will process. Not sure if the call centre can help with that, or if I just have to play the waiting game. Most likely since they have put it in the system they are not going to return the application to me, so I'm probably out the money. :(

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Brad Smith said:
I received the AOR yesterday and eCAS has updated today. No word yet on if my withdrawal letter and form has been received or if it will process. Not sure if the call centre can help with that, or if I just have to play the waiting game. Most likely since they have put it in the system they are not going to return the application to me, so I'm probably out the money. :(
It is difficult to forecast how things will go.

My impression, based on your previous posts, was that the physical presence calculation was short by one day, that the total calculation added to 1459 days. In which case that application would not meet the requirements on its face and would be subject to a summary rejection. IRCC information online indicates that such an application would be returned and not processed.

Since you have received AOR and eCas shows the application as in process, either your application at least appears to have met the requirements on its face, or IRCC's practices vary a little from what is stated in the guide (meaning the application could still be summarily denied . . . but what will actually happen remains up in the air).

It will be helpful if you keep us updated as to next steps.

Unfortunately, however, how this goes is complicated by the submission of a request to withdraw the application. Despite the suggestion from the call centre to do that, as I noted in my previous post it is not at all clear that it is even possible to withdraw an application before it is in process, and my sense is that it is NOT . . . perhaps I should have been more emphatic about this, more emphatically asserting the prudence of waiting to see if the application was returned or was put in process, before submitting a request to withdraw. (I suppose I was reluctant to make a suggestion contrary to the call centre, but it is well known that call centre responses to non-routine questions are notoriously unreliable . . . water under the bridge now.)

In revisiting your earlier posts, it is not clear to me just what it was you submitted. It would be odd if you submitted a presence calculation which on its face indicated you did not meet the requirements, even though that is what I understood you did based on your earlier posts.

My sense agrees with yours, that is that there is not much you can do now other than wait to see what happens next, to "play the waiting game."

It is a bit of a mess. But you should eventually be able to sort things out, without this causing too much trouble other than some delay in getting to the finish line and the prospect of having to pay another application fee.

Again, please keep us posted since there is not a lot of actual information about the particular procedures in such cases . . . and despite repeated cautions to be exceedingly careful when making the application, unfortunately you are not at all alone in making these sorts of errors (we've seen people who put the wrong year in the date by their signature and even though obviously a mere typo, it killed the application).

Note: there are other potential aspects to this scenario but they will be moot, of no consequence, if IRCC either summarily denies the application or makes the withdrawal effective. So no point going into other possibilities unless, somehow, IRCC proceeds with processing the application.

andersonhc

Feb 2, 2017
My impression, based on your previous posts, was that the physical presence calculation was short by one day, that the total calculation added to 1459 days. In which case that application would not meet the requirements on its face and would be subject to a summary rejection. IRCC information online indicates that such an application would be returned and not processed.
On his previous post he said he sent a presence calculation without his christmas trip, so it had over 1460 days. He is short one day when he add that trip, but CIC don't know about it yet.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
andersonhc said:
On his previous post he said he sent a presence calculation without his christmas trip, so it had over 1460 days. He is short one day when he add that trip, but CIC don't know about it yet.
Yes, but in another previous post Brad Smith also posted: "I'm still eligible on the date of the application regardless." "regardless!" And even the reference to being one day short was couched in not so certain terms: "seems to put me off by 1 day." And what seems to have done that was submitting the wrong calculation, one made before the holiday.

It is not entirely clear what was submitted. There is no need, however, to sort out the precise situation. For now, as I noted, it is just as Brad Smith also observed, a matter of waiting to see what happens next.

In the meantime, however, overall, the damage done should be limited, at worst, to having to make a new application, and thus a delay in becoming a citizen plus the cost of paying the application fee again.

Otherwise, perhaps you overlooked the tense in what you quoted from my previous post: Past tense. My impression "was." Which is to note that what you quote was an explanation distinguishing what was to follow in that post from observations in my earlier post.

Beyond all that, the reason why I suggested that Brad Smith keep us updated is that what happens next should help illuminate procedural aspects which could help others:

For example, will the letter to withdraw submitted without a case number, submitted prior to the AOR, be acted on and when? This should help illuminate whether supplemental submissions prior to AOR will be applied to the application, and if so, a glimpse into how long it might take for such a submission to catch up to the application. (However, it is important to recognize that generally it is better to wait until AOR, and getting a case number, before attempting to make any supplemental submissions.) Unfortunately, most others who have attempted (or indicate they might attempt) to make supplemental submissions prior to AOR have not followed up with updates here about what happened next.