Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
(Stage 1 + Stage 2)=23 months
as stated earlier in this thread, the calling cards are not good proofs of staying in touch since it doesn't show who called who. The only way you could get that would be to call customer service and have them send proof of who called what number for each of those calling cards. Not sure if the calling cards company would do that or not for you. CHC will not do this for you, they probably will just disregard the calling cards proof without it.

for anyone else looking at this thread, VOIP services (ie. MagicJack) usually provide you ways to download your CDRs (Call Detail Records) for every call you make. That will show you every call you made, duration, and the number that you dialed! same for calls made from other countries to canadian numbers from Gtalk or the gmail web interface.

CanadaNow

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2012
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
File Transfer...
14-01-2013
Med's Request
28-08-2012
Med's Done....
06-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
31-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
Thanks for the input.

i agree the calling cards by themselves are nothing, however along with everything else....it is one more thing on the pile (better to include than not).

regarding the various voip and other calling services...you would have to presume that the call recipient has internet at all much less high speed internet. someone suggested RAZA (which i am looking into) is a calling card of sorts which will provide calling details.

Reflectoman

Jan 4, 2013
Laval
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad (Wife)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
CanadaNow said:
regarding the various voip and other calling services...you would have to presume that the call recipient has internet at all much less high speed internet.
not all voip services need internet services on both sides, the examples i gave need internet service on the caller's side only. you can use them to call any regular landline or cellular phone in Canada.

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
My husband and I use MobileVoip on our smartphones. There are minimal charges (depending on which service you use through the app), but we get a call record that can be printed out and only the caller needs to have an Internet/3G connection.

I am WAITING for Viber to finally let us see our call detail records!

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
HI all.. I have a question. All I use to call my husband has been phone calls with the occasional call over skype. I did explain this and a short explanation that i never used the phone cards before I met him. The only numbers I call are his.

Can someone recommend what is better magic jack or razr in obtaining call records? I am trying to keep organized for a potential interview and if this is the case I would rather switch call methods and increase our proof than have more explaining to do!!

Reflectoman

Jan 4, 2013
Laval
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad (Wife)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
Ms Malawi said:
All I use to call my husband has been phone calls with the occasional call over skype.
are you using your cellphone or regular landline for your calls? Bell/Rogers/Telus/"whatever company" can get you those CDRs, so you won't need to switch. these might already be included in your monthly bill, so no need to get them again from the company.

i don't know about razr, i've only used magicjack, and you can download those CDRs from their online website when you log into your account. Do it on a monthly basis, and you'll have all of them (don't know how far back they let you keep them, i know its at least 3 months last time i checked).

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
Thanks Reflectoman.

I should have said I only used calling cards. I did print out all my phone records for the course of my relationship and included the numbers used to call my husband on the calling cards. I stated that I never used them before and had the additional skype phone records. Just misunderstood that no phone cards meant not using them, and not about including the actual phone card in the application.

Does Magic Jack work on a mobile phone?

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
Anyone using CiCi calling cards (I purchase them Mac's stores in Ontario)can call the customer service number on the back of the card (if you have saved you cards) then give the operator the card number(different than the pin number) and then for a fee(5 bucks plus tax) they will send you a copy of the call history.

I didn't know that until today, so I will save mine from now on. I didn't ask, but I would see if you are getting more than one sent if the cost would be pro-rated. I doubt it but it might be worth asking. Other wise it would cost more than the cards themselves :eek:

Oh, and I get 140 some minutes to an Egypt mobile for $10, the land line is a bit cheaper to call...
hope I helped :) :D

kitchener_inland

Jul 27, 2012
Visa Office......
Kitchener
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2011: application received
Doc's Request.
07-21-2011: received AIP & PPR request
LANDED..........
26-10-2012
Alem_alem said:
Hello
My qestion is regarding......... IMM 5490 Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire
# 26a. how do you and your sponsor communicate when you are not together?

I am sponsoring my wife and we have been married for three-half years. In the last three-half years I have been unable to start the sponsoring process until now.... to make long story short she could not come up with any proof of communications(such as phone record, phone card, email-chats and letters)

Me, the sponsore on the other hand luckly I have a lots (110) PHONE CARD saved up form the last three-half years.

My question is..

1)should i write a letter explainig this with the applications (mine and her forms)?
2)How many of these card shoud i sent with applications?
3)would it be a good idea to copy them or sent the accual phone cards?

Thanks in advance for taking time to read and respond
as everyone said, all they need is for you to show valid communication so if its phone calls you need valid records, if its chats you need valid records and pictures for your ceremony and out goings . if you have plane ticket copies that will help too. you need to show that you have had continues contact/visits with her to valid your point which is understandable.
DO NOT try to rush filling the application because if you do a mistake or leave a question out it will make the processing much longer so do it right the first time even if it takes you extra few days instead of making a mistake and cic makes your application waiting time months and months longer.

best of luck.

CanadaNow

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2012
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
File Transfer...
14-01-2013
Med's Request
28-08-2012
Med's Done....
06-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
31-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
Reflectoman said:
are you using your cellphone or regular landline for your calls? Bell/Rogers/Telus/"whatever company" can get you those CDRs, so you won't need to switch. these might already be included in your monthly bill, so no need to get them again from the company.

i don't know about razr, i've only used magicjack, and you can download those CDRs from their online website when you log into your account. Do it on a monthly basis, and you'll have all of them (don't know how far back they let you keep them, i know its at least 3 months last time i checked).
hey Reflectoman

I bought a couple of MagicJack plus' in the summer time but have never set them up yet. did you configure them to have a local number to where you are/were calling? where are you calling to? I know if I give one of the MagicJack's to my spouse and use one myself the callling back and forth is supposed to be free but that requires both sides to have high speed internet.

my calling cards claim to be giving 268 minutes per $5 card (about 1.85 cents per minute). They are probably actually giving about 180 minutes per $5 card (about 2.78 cents per minute) after all the disconnects, bad connections etc etc. if not calling MagicJack to MagicJack (free) how much does MJ calculate out to?

Thanks

Reflectoman

Jan 4, 2013
Laval
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad (Wife)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
There are different options, I'll try to outline them out for you ...

• calls always initiated from the home country: In this case, you just need one magic jack. set it up with a regular american phone number, and give it to your family/spouse in your home country. they will need internet connection and everytime they connect the magic jack they can call you on your cellphone/landline in canada.
  • calls mostly initiated from the home country, but not always: same as above, only need one magic jack number ... but if the magic jack is left connected 24/7 and you want the ability to call it when you feel like talking, you will need either a long distance plan to call the regular american number (can get costly with the monthly fees), or when setting up the magic jack you upgrade for $10 (last i checked) to get a canadian number. if you are in montreal, and get a montreal number for you magic jack it becomes a local call from your cellphone/landline to the magic jack. from the magic jack to your number in canada, it makes no difference. this option costs more cause you need to pay for the *premium* canadian number, but its a yearly cost. if there are no magic jack numbers in your local calling area, and you are forced to get a long distance plan that includes US numbers and then just avoid paying the *premium* canadian number fees.

for magic jack services, you don't need one on both sides ... only the one outside canada, and they will call your canadian number. it is unlimited callign in canada/us, so other than your initial cost to obtain the magic jack unit (plus a canadian number if you choose), there are no ongoing costs for the first year. AFter the first year you can renew/extend the service on either a yearly basis or multi-year basis.

PLEASE NOTE that an internet connection is needed on the magic jack side, and depending on the speed of the connection the voice quality of the call might deteriorate. In Pakistan, on their wimax system i have had great success with the magic jack as long as other family members on my internet connection are not downloading at the same time.

wish you the best ...