+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Philippines Passport after Canadian Citizenship

Djeinj

May 20, 2023
Good afternoon friends,

I have a sticky time-sensitive situation. Currently, I live and work in Mexico. I am about to fly back to Canada to take my Oath of citizenship in a week (yay!). My original citizenship is that of the Philippines and I travel with a Philippines passport. It is my understanding that when taking the oath my Canadian Permanent Resident card will be destroyed. I will not be able to receive my Canadian Citizenship Certificate by mail before I need to return to Mexico for work. My Mexican work visa is also tied to my Philippines passport. This means that I will not be able to become a Philippines Dual-Citizen yet. They require the oath certificate as well as a Canadian passport. These are all things that I will not have time to process in Canada. I will also not have time to get a Canadian passport.

Has anyone had any experience using their Philippines passport for international travel OUT of Canada after becoming a Canadian Citizen? Or is the Philippines passport null and void the second I take the oath? I am scared that I will be stuck in Canada after taking my oath. I also have a flight going back to the Philippines in one month (leaving Mexico and transiting through Canada) which is when I believe it to be the perfect time to follow through with dual citizenship.

I sure hope there is a short period of limbo where I can still travel with my Philippines passport while I process everything. I no longer live in Canada and this will be very difficult in the meantime.

Djeinj

May 20, 2023
I am just about to fly to Canada and have had no response back from the citizenship department. Hopefully, everything goes well and I don't get stuck in Canada. :)

canadian787

Oct 2, 2022
Canada doesn't care about what other passports you hold. You can exit Canada on any passport. You only need a Canadian passport to enter Canada once you become a citizen. You're fine. Congratulations!

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Good afternoon friends,

I have a sticky time-sensitive situation. Currently, I live and work in Mexico. I am about to fly back to Canada to take my Oath of citizenship in a week (yay!). My original citizenship is that of the Philippines and I travel with a Philippines passport. It is my understanding that when taking the oath my Canadian Permanent Resident card will be destroyed. I will not be able to receive my Canadian Citizenship Certificate by mail before I need to return to Mexico for work. My Mexican work visa is also tied to my Philippines passport. This means that I will not be able to become a Philippines Dual-Citizen yet. They require the oath certificate as well as a Canadian passport. These are all things that I will not have time to process in Canada. I will also not have time to get a Canadian passport.

Has anyone had any experience using their Philippines passport for international travel OUT of Canada after becoming a Canadian Citizen? Or is the Philippines passport null and void the second I take the oath? I am scared that I will be stuck in Canada after taking my oath. I also have a flight going back to the Philippines in one month (leaving Mexico and transiting through Canada) which is when I believe it to be the perfect time to follow through with dual citizenship.

I sure hope there is a short period of limbo where I can still travel with my Philippines passport while I process everything. I no longer live in Canada and this will be very difficult in the meantime.
You won't have any problems exiting the country. The only issue you will face is when entering back into Canada once you leave after your ceremony since you won't have neither Canadian PR card nor passport. There are workarounds to that as well once you get your citizenship certificate.