+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD student in Quebec but minimum french skills- Share ypur experience

adas

Jun 22, 2016
Hello :),
I am about to finish my Ph.D. in the province of Quebec but I don't speak french. Is it possible for me to apply for permanent residence here in Quebec?

I will appreciate your input.

rokib2012

Star Member
Jun 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 October 2016
AOR Received.
30 January 2017
Med's Request
22 February 2017
Med's Done....
24 February 2017
Re: PhD student in Quebec but minimum french skills

I am currently a PhD student at McGill and got my CSQ last week without having any French and English test. It depends on your Area of Training because it carries 16 points. I got 16 points for my Canadian masters.

adas

Jun 22, 2016

rokib2012 said:
I am currently a PhD student at McGill and got my CSQ last week without having any French and English test. It depends on your Area of Training because it carries 16 points. I got 16 points for my Canadian masters.
Thanks rokib2012 for that! can you direct me to the link with point system. I want to apply for PEQ using my Phd Degree from Quebec university.

adas

Jun 22, 2016

adas said:
Thanks rokib2012 for that! can you direct me to the link with point system. I want to apply for PEQ using my Phd Degree from Quebec university.
I believe you are talking about quebec skilled worker program.
unfortunately, My PhD degree is in cell and molecular biology. it is not in the list.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

adas said:
PEQ is not possible without an advanced intermediate knowledge of French.

Christena421

Jun 22, 2016

thejkhan said:
PEQ is not possible without an advanced intermediate knowledge of French.
you are right dude but have u any other source??????????? :eek: plz tell me

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Christena421 said:
There is only 1 source. Just do a google search and check the PEQ requirements from Quebec immigration site.

adas

Jun 22, 2016

thejkhan said:
There is only 1 source. Just do a google search and check the PEQ requirements from Quebec immigration site.
I realize that but If you get a degree from a French university doesn't that suffice for a PEQ?

adas

Jun 22, 2016

Christena421 said:
Christena421 are you in the same situation?

POLYNING

Mar 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

adas said:
I realize that but If you get a degree from a French university doesn't that suffice for a PEQ?
Yes, based on what I have known, many student got the csq through PEQ, after they got a degree from a french language university in QUEBEC such as umontreal , laval, polytecnique, even they have no any french points or french ability.

adas

Jun 22, 2016

POLYNING said:
Yes, based on what I have known, many student got the csq through PEQ, after they got a degree from a french language university in QUEBEC such as umontreal , laval, polytecnique, even they have no any french points or french ability.
Thanks Polyning. I believe this was the case. I just want to make sure if this still is the case. anyone else has more info. on that please share.

thanks

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

adas said:
Thanks Polyning. I believe this was the case. I just want to make sure if this still is the case. anyone else has more info. on that please share.

thanks
That's something I'd like to know as well!

rokib2012

Star Member
Jun 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 October 2016
AOR Received.
30 January 2017
Med's Request
22 February 2017
Med's Done....
24 February 2017

Hi adas and thejkhan,
I know previously many student got PEQ after graduating from a French language university in Quebec. But recently, they added a condition that you have to write your thesis in French too.

If you are a graduate or future graduate, you can submit:

* a final transcript attesting to the successful completion of a study program in Québec pursued entirely in French (including the master’s and doctoral theses, if applicable) or

* an attestation of results of a French test or diploma recognized by the Ministère that demonstrates attainment of a level of competency in oral comprehension and oral production of 7 or higher on
the Échelle québécoise des niveaux de compétence en français des personnes immigrantes adultes or to its equivalent (level B2 or higher of the Common European Framework of Reference).

Have a good day

adas

Jun 22, 2016

rokib2012 said:
Hi adas and thejkhan,
I know previously many student got PEQ after graduating from a French language university in Quebec. But recently, they added a condition that you have to write your thesis in French too.

If you are a graduate or future graduate, you can submit:

* a final transcript attesting to the successful completion of a study program in Québec pursued entirely in French (including the master’s and doctoral theses, if applicable) or

* an attestation of results of a French test or diploma recognized by the Ministère that demonstrates attainment of a level of competency in oral comprehension and oral production of 7 or higher on
the Échelle québécoise des niveaux de compétence en français des personnes immigrantes adultes or to its equivalent (level B2 or higher of the Common European Framework of Reference).

Have a good day
Are there any cheap schools that prepare you for the exams? if there are do you have recommendations

rokib2012

Star Member
Jun 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 October 2016
AOR Received.
30 January 2017
Med's Request
22 February 2017
Med's Done....
24 February 2017

adas said:
Are there any cheap schools that prepare you for the exams? if there are do you have recommendations
I have no idea about schools. I know many University offer French courses. You can check Quebec immigration website, they have mentioned which level is enough for their requirement and it is also vary university to university. It is time consuming but easy to get certificate.