+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

phd stream under express entry

seyed_g

Aug 28, 2014
Another question if they dont have any plan for phd stream so why during eligibility check questions they ask this:
have you studied 2 years or more in a Canadian university?

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
seyed_g said:
Thanks for reply,

So if TA/RA are not Canadian work experience nor foreign work experience,what are they then ? what i mean is that the comprehensive point calculator shows that having a Canadian work experience boost your points dramatically.
without it people barely are above 400 points.
To qualify as Canadian work experience it needs to be in NOC Skill group 0, A or B. Be obtained while you're not in full-time education and be for at least 12 Months, full-time, continuous and for more than 30 hours/week.

seyed_g

Aug 28, 2014
doubleym said:
To qualify as Canadian work experience it needs to be in NOC Skill group 0, A or B. Be obtained while you're not in full-time education and be for at least 12 Months, full-time, continuous and for more than 30 hours/week.
Well I know the rules ,but there are people in this forum have submitted by RA/TA as work experience but not as Canadian experience, dont you think thats weird,if cic does not accept RA as canadian work experience so why they accept at the first place so as you see this is a bug in their system.

To me if you accept my TA/RA as work experience you should accept that i have done this in Canada so automatically this will be Canadian experience,but unfortunately as i said they act really weird.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
seyed_g said:
Thanks for reply,

So if TA/RA are not Canadian work experience nor foreign work experience,what are they then ? what i mean is that the comprehensive point calculator shows that having a Canadian work experience boost your points dramatically.
This situation is not unique to TA/RA experience.

For example, to qualify under CEC, one only needs to have accumulated 1,560 hours within the past 3 years, but these hours need not be continuous. To claim Canadian work experience points under CRS, the work experience needs to be continuous for at least a year under one occupation.

Work experience need not be continuous under the CEC.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/cec/work.asp
There will be situation where people would qualify under CEC, but won't be able to claim any Canadian work experience under CRS at all because their Canadian work experience is not continuous.

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
seyed_g said:
Thanks for reply,

Although it doesn't count as a Canadian work experience It just makes you eligible for FSW. And yes you are right point wont be higher than 400. But you never know, we might have a chance being drawn out of the pool for invitation even with having point around 350-400.

seyed_g

Aug 28, 2014
morena34 said:
Although it doesn't count as a Canadian work experience It just makes you eligible for FSW. And yes you are right point wont be higher than 400. But you never know, we might have a chance being drawn out of the pool for invitation even with having point around 350-400.
So they consider TA/RA as foreign work experience. ::)
what if we can get a letter from our supervisor showing that we work continuously for one year and 30h per week?

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
seyed_g said:
So they consider TA/RA as foreign work experience. ::)
what if we can get a letter from our supervisor showing that we work continuously for one year and 30h per week?
I dont think they count RT/TA as a foreign experience at all. If you get a good letter from your supervisor you'd be able to apply under FSW. ( you need 1 year continuous work experience + CLB7 language score+ Credential assessments to become eligible for FSW).

You wont be eligible for CEC whatsoever if you never worked in Canada with a valid work permit.

seyed_g

Aug 28, 2014
morena34 said:
I dont think they count RT/TA as a foreign experience at all. If you get a good letter from your supervisor you'd be able to apply under FSW. ( you need 1 year continuous work experience + CLB7 language score+ Credential assessments to become eligible for FSW).

You wont be eligible for CEC whatsoever if you never worked in Canada with a valid work permit.
Exactly thats what i mean.
If they accept RA/TA as work experience(I am not talking about CEC),regarding that we have done this jobs in canada it should boost the points in CRS,again i dont mean CEC i am just talking about CRS and point calculator.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
seyed_g said:
Exactly thats what i mean.
If they accept RA/TA as work experience(I am not talking about CEC),regarding that we have done this jobs in canada it should boost the points in CRS,again i dont mean CEC i am just talking about CRS and point calculator.
No work experience is considered if you were a full-time student at the same time...

seyed_g

Aug 28, 2014
jes_ON said:
No work experience is considered if you were a full-time student at the same time...
Thanks for replying

Definitely,RA/TA are counted as work experience as many people especially phd stream people have applied by this experience and got PR,
but the question is why this experience is not useful to boost points as canadian experience ,and again I do know about the CEC rule which one should not be a fulltime student during the canadian job o be eligible for CEC .

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
seyed_g said:
Thanks for replying

Definitely,RA/TA are counted as work experience as many people especially phd stream people have applied by this experience and got PR,
but the question is why this experience is not useful to boost points as canadian experience ,and again I do know about the CEC rule which one should not be a fulltime student during the canadian job o be eligible for CEC .
Hi seyed_g, as I mentioned above, having work experience to qualify under one of the economic streams would not guarantee that you would get points within the Express Entry pool, and this is not just exclusive for RA/TA experience.

For example, to qualify under CEC, you don't need continuous work experience, just that the accumulation should be more than 1,560 hours within the last three years, but if you have such work experience, then you too won't get any Canadian work experience points under Express Entry :(

chem_dude

Jan 31, 2015
:mad:

Hi, I am now cursing myself for not having applied earlier. I am in the last stages of my PhD, tried to create my profile (with English test scores and ECA), and came up with 'not eligible for express entry'. So, yeah, it is pretty clear that they do not want PhD students, unless you already have a job offer, and who the eff has those right after a PhD?

So, essentially, we will be stuck in a vicious circle, where we won't get jobs unless we have a PR, and we won 't be able to apply for one because TA/RA positions (the only job experience one has during a PhD) will not be counted. Well done, CIC.

chem_dude

Jan 31, 2015
:-[

So, hang on, if I just get a work permit, then I can get credit for my four years' worth of TA/RA work? Is that what it is? I did say that I had no work permits, because of course you don't need one to work on campus. I guess this is what happens when immigrations are controlled by a computer program rather than on a case-by-case basis.

omari

Feb 10, 2015
Two general draws are so far announced with minimum points to get the ITA in both >800 point, which make it impossible for any one without PNP or a valid job offer :( .
I think PhD students will unfortunately have to wait for graduation and then apply for PNP which would grant us 600 points unless a special quota/draw is made.

caththisking

Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
Planning in DEC 2015
Guys one quick question, i think postdoc is lmo exempt? Can we get 600 points for that if mentioned the same when applying in EE.