21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
morena34 said:
Again, I created my EE profile with only RA/TA experience and I ended up being "ineligible".
Immediately after the profile was submitted I received a message in my CIC that I was ineligible. So it's obvious that the system automatically make you ineligible if we are only relying on RA/TA experience during our "Full-time study".
Hi morena34,

I'm just curious. When you created your profile, and you stated that your Canadian experience was all obtained through full time study, then they would automatically consider you for FSWP (since you would not have qualified under CEC). I wonder, did you make sure you met all of the other criteria for FSWP? Such as the minimum requirements, 67 points, WES, and also CLB Level 7 on each of the modules for language scores?

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Hi meyakanor

Yes I have CLB 9 for all skills. I checked everything multiple times to make sure everything was correct. I am confident the "ineligibility" is due to the fact that the system does not count any work experience from our RA/TA and hence we don't meet one of the key requirements of FSW stream (1 year work experience).

hujinlang

Oct 21, 2014
meyakanor said:
PhD students with paid RA/TA experience can still apply, provided they provide appropriate letters of references and have at least continuous 1,560 hours within the last 10 years. PhD students, with paid TA/RA experience can easily get this many number of hours after more than two years in the program. This experience will count as an experience in Canada, so combined with high IELTS scores (CLB level 9 or 10), a PhD student can easily score in the high 400s or low 500s, which will make them highly competitive within the EE pool.
Actually, in the current EE system, the TA & RA are not counted as the Canadian Experience if you are a full time student. I just submit my profile to the system. In my case, the system don't count my TA & RA as the Canadian Experience, but it also says I am eligible for FSW in EE which is confused. TA & RA is my only experience which is counted in FSW while not counted in EE.

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
hujinlang said:
Actually, in the current EE system, the TA & RA are not counted as the Canadian Experience if you are a full time student. I just submit my profile to the system. In my case, the system don't count my TA & RA as the Canadian Experience, but it also says I am eligible for FSW in EE which is confused. TA & RA is my only experience which is counted in FSW while not counted in EE.
So how come I got completely ineligible with RA&TA. Did you also click that option that your RA/TA was during a full time study?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
morena34 said:
So how come I got completely ineligible with RA&TA. Did you also click that option that your RA/TA was during a full time study?
That's what I thought as well. TA/RA would not count as Canadian work experience under CRS, and one can not qualify for CEC using TA/RA, but it should still work for FSWP.

There is no requirement that one needs to have ANY work experience points under EE. For example, it is technically possible for someone to qualify under CEC without having continuous one year of work experience (work experience under CEC need not be continuous), just that the total within the last three years needs to be at least 1,560 hours. But without continuous Canadian work experience, they just won't be able to claim Canadian work experience points under CRS.

Did you make sure you had 67 points, at least continuous one year of work experience (make sure your TA/RA is continuous for at least a year), and had your foreign degrees evaluated [you have to do this to qualify under FSWP]?

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
meyakanor said:
That's what I thought as well. TA/RA would not count as Canadian work experience under CRS, and one can not qualify for CEC using TA/RA, but it should still work for FSWP.

There is no requirement that one needs to have ANY work experience points under EE. For example, it is technically possible for someone to qualify under CEC without having continuous one year of work experience (work experience under CEC need not be continuous), just that the total within the last three years needs to be at least 1,560 hours. But without continuous Canadian work experience, they just won't be able to claim Canadian work experience points under CRS.

Did you make sure you had 67 points, at least continuous one year of work experience (make sure your TA/RA is continuous for at least a year), and had your foreign degrees evaluated [you have to do this to qualify under FSWP]?

Ok guys, so I created another profile. Everything was the same as before until Work Experience section. I realized this time steps were a bit different, and obviously I only included my RA/TA experience. This time the question about work permit things showed up. At the end I submitted it and everything were transmitted. Eventually I ended up meeting FSW criteria. I'm guessing I might have entered something wrong in my previous profile. At the same time the lawyer in our university was saying that relying only on RA/TA would be still tricky.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
morena34 said:
Ok guys, so I created another profile. Everything was the same as before until Work Experience section. I realized this time steps were a bit different, and obviously I only included my RA/TA experience. This time the question about work permit things showed up. At the end I submitted it and everything were transmitted. Eventually I ended up meeting FSW criteria. I'm guessing I might have entered something wrong in my previous profile. At the same time the lawyer in our university was saying that relying only on RA/TA would be still tricky.
The system was probably still incomplete back then. I wonder though, even though TA/RA won't count as Canadian experience under CRS, will there be a way to claim CRS points from it? Maybe it can be counted as foreign work experience under CRS?

hujinlang

Oct 21, 2014
morena34 said:
Yes. Now I think we have to wait the new policy, I hope the CIC will improve the system or officer considers the PHD group in the future.

seyed_g

Aug 28, 2014
morena34 said:
Hi,

would you please explain what was question about work permit which appeared during submitting your application?
do we have to have a work permit to use RA nd TA as work experience?
Thanks

the_lion

May 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You might definately get very good points for education. However, i haven't heard of any PhD Stream in Express Entry anywhere.

the_lion

May 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You might definately get very good points for education. However, i haven't heard of any PhD Stream in Express Entry anywhere.

Provinces like Ontario can provide you with a PNP without a job offer if you're a PhD candidate.

seyed_g

Aug 28, 2014
the_lion said:

Provinces like Ontario can provide you with a PNP without a job offer if you're a PhD candidate.
does 2 years full time education toward phd in Canada count as point applying to EE?

seyed_g

Aug 28, 2014
morena34 said:
No not at all. But apparently it is counted as work experince
Thanks for reply,

So if TA/RA are not Canadian work experience nor foreign work experience,what are they then ? what i mean is that the comprehensive point calculator shows that having a Canadian work experience boost your points dramatically.
without it people barely are above 400 points.