+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD Stream - Rejection

GeographyPhD

Sep 29, 2013
Hi Forum!

I was recently rejected for PR under the PhD stream. Looks like many others had the same problem. Their reason was that one of my reference letters did not state the main duties performed and hence making my work experience not count for the continuous full time employment. (I can copy/paste the letter if it is of interest or help).

I then appealed, even there is NOT a formal appeal process. My grounds was that I did include the main duties performed in the letter and that it must have been misplaced by the CIC (unlikely, I know). I just received a reply rejecting my appeal on the grounds that there is no appeal and that I did not include the letter.

Question 1: Does CIC have a system for 100% making sure that they do not misplace documents? I am 99.99% sure that I included the letter in question and that it sufficiently described the duties of said employment. In their response they said:

"Your application for Permanent Residence in Canada was considered on its substantive merits according to the applicable section of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and was refused. Any different or new information that you have submitted cannot be taken into consideration."
And
"NOTE: The letter you submitted from University XX you submitted with your response was not part of your original application and thus cannot be used in a re-assessment."

Question 1: I wonder if it is worth persevering or whether I should just (sic) make a new application?

Question 2: Continuous employment (full/part time) I think is my main weakness. In an old post - refused skilled worker application - phd stream - asbereth notes that 1,950 hours of continuous work experience is required. I am a 4th year PhD student and have been continuously employed as an RA and a TA through my 2year MA and the first 3 years of my MA. These have been smaller contracts: 64hrs, the odd 80 and 120 hours, but I am still not sure that this amounts to 1950 hours. Could anyone provide clarification, please? Is there anyone in the same situation who has been granted PR and yet only did small - albeit continuos - RA/TA work.

Finally: I know that I don't have to re-do the English test (thankfully, especially because its my first language), but do I have to send original documents, or signed documents again, even though they have a copy of them already?

Thanks so much. Any help is much appreciated.

jahughes

Sep 4, 2013
Hi,

I am actually a PhD student at U of T. I just submitted my PR application this week.

I know that the RA and TA work that we get as graduate students is not enough to qualify as full-time work. I had a salaried job as a research assistant in the States before grad school for about 2 years, so I qualified under that.

I am writing to ask where you got the information that if English is your first language you do not need to re-take the IELTS if they expire. Can you please tell me where you got this information from? I am worried that the cap will be reached before my application is processed and my IELTS expire in a few months. I really don't want to have to take them again.

I'm sorry that your application was rejected. If they sent everything back then I would imagine that you would just have to resubmit what you have. So, I would only submit the originals that they require and make sure that you have copies of everything.

shrinivas1980

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh dear!

It is really sad to know about the rejection. However, have you got refund? If not 100%, how much refund have you received back?

Nonetheless, I wish you all the very success.

GeographyPhD

Sep 29, 2013
jahughes said:
Hi,

I am actually a PhD student at U of T. I just submitted my PR application this week.

I know that the RA and TA work that we get as graduate students is not enough to qualify as full-time work. I had a salaried job as a research assistant in the States before grad school for about 2 years, so I qualified under that.

I am writing to ask where you got the information that if English is your first language you do not need to re-take the IELTS if they expire. Can you please tell me where you got this information from? I am worried that the cap will be reached before my application is processed and my IELTS expire in a few months. I really don't want to have to take them again.

I'm sorry that your application was rejected. If they sent everything back then I would imagine that you would just have to resubmit what you have. So, I would only submit the originals that they require and make sure that you have copies of everything.

Thanks for your good wishes. I only know that i don't have to re-submit my exam results because they are still valid for over a year. The document checklist (and other documents, if I remember correctly) states that the tests must be no older than 2 years, otherwise you have to re-take and renew. If CIC has your application I cannot see that this is a problem. Validity suggests at time of application, not time of processing (otherwise other documents, including the police certificates would be out of date).

Good luck!

whatever51

Oct 31, 2011
GeographyPhD said:
Hi Forum!

I was recently rejected for PR under the PhD stream. Looks like many others had the same problem. Their reason was that one of my reference letters did not state the main duties performed and hence making my work experience not count for the continuous full time employment. (I can copy/paste the letter if it is of interest or help).

I then appealed, even there is NOT a formal appeal process. My grounds was that I did include the main duties performed in the letter and that it must have been misplaced by the CIC (unlikely, I know). I just received a reply rejecting my appeal on the grounds that there is no appeal and that I did not include the letter.

Question 1: Does CIC have a system for 100% making sure that they do not misplace documents? I am 99.99% sure that I included the letter in question and that it sufficiently described the duties of said employment. In their response they said:

"Your application for Permanent Residence in Canada was considered on its substantive merits according to the applicable section of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and was refused. Any different or new information that you have submitted cannot be taken into consideration."
And
"NOTE: The letter you submitted from University XX you submitted with your response was not part of your original application and thus cannot be used in a re-assessment."

Question 1: I wonder if it is worth persevering or whether I should just (sic) make a new application?

Question 2: Continuous employment (full/part time) I think is my main weakness. In an old post - refused skilled worker application - phd stream - asbereth notes that 1,950 hours of continuous work experience is required. I am a 4th year PhD student and have been continuously employed as an RA and a TA through my 2year MA and the first 3 years of my MA. These have been smaller contracts: 64hrs, the odd 80 and 120 hours, but I am still not sure that this amounts to 1950 hours. Could anyone provide clarification, please? Is there anyone in the same situation who has been granted PR and yet only did small - albeit continuos - RA/TA work.

Finally: I know that I don't have to re-do the English test (thankfully, especially because its my first language), but do I have to send original documents, or signed documents again, even though they have a copy of them already?

Thanks so much. Any help is much appreciated.
So GeographyPHD, can you please provide us with the reference letter that you have included in your application?