+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PhD funds as proof of Financial Support for Study Permit

imisstraveling

Feb 11, 2021
I have been recently awarded with a fully funded PhD with funding more than $20,000 per year. As per IRCC's website, a graduate student can show the proof of financial support by meeting certain requisites and I already meet 2 or 3 of them i.e "a letter from the person or school giving you money" or "proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program". So, does this mean that i have been exempted from showing GIC requirements when my University has clearly mentioned in my offer letter that I will be receiving funds from them?
What would you like to suggest me?

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
Hello, the GIC is requirements are for SDS applicants. You have to show GIC when you apply under SDS. In my case, I applied under regular study permit process (received a PhD offer from Quebec institution) and I did not show GIC. I only submitted the financial support letter from my supervisor and explained in the letter of explanation that the total scholarship would be sufficient to face the living expenses per annum as mentioned by the provincial government where you study. So, a GIC wouldn't be necessary for you.

Read this thread for some information. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/from-india-applying-for-phd-can-i-apply-through-sds.715689/#post-9096920

Reactions: imisstraveling

imisstraveling

Feb 11, 2021
Hello, the GIC is requirements are for SDS applicants. You have to show GIC when you apply under SDS. In my case, I applied under regular study permit process (received a PhD offer from Quebec institution) and I did not show GIC. I only submitted the financial support letter from my supervisor and explained in the letter of explanation that the total scholarship would be sufficient to face the living expenses per annum as mentioned by the provincial government where you study. So, a GIC wouldn't be necessary for you.

Read this thread for some information. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/from-india-applying-for-phd-can-i-apply-through-sds.715689/#post-9096920
Hi Naresh, thanks for your reply. For my PhD, i didnt write IELTS because my language of instruction in UG and PG was english. I do have a TOEFL score though, so for safe side, I am planning to apply under SDS.

Edit - Would you mind sharing your letter of explanation via DM? (after hiding your personal information) I would be very grateful.

Last edited:

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
Hi Naresh, thanks for your reply. For my PhD, i didnt write IELTS because my language of instruction in UG and PG was english. I do have a TOEFL score though, so for safe side, I am planning to apply under SDS.

Edit - Would you mind sharing your letter of explanation via DM? (after hiding your personal information) I would be very grateful.
In my case, I did not submit any English tests, but I demonstrated that I can well communicate and understand English to them. TOEFL should be fine, as it can still be accepted by IRCC in India, according a webinar by them. I believe you need take a GIC if you are applying under SDS.

Could you tell me what information you need from my letter of explanation? Because, there is a lot information which is personal/confidential and also it is difficult for me to hide them as the number of pages are more. If you are looking for the structure of the letter of explanation, I can give you the outline of how my letter looks like and you can follow that up.

imisstraveling

Feb 11, 2021
In my case, I did not submit any English tests, but I demonstrated that I can well communicate and understand English to them. TOEFL should be fine, as it can still be accepted by IRCC in India, according a webinar by them. I believe you need take a GIC if you are applying under SDS.

Could you tell me what information you need from my letter of explanation? Because, there is a lot information which is personal/confidential and also it is difficult for me to hide them as the number of pages are more. If you are looking for the structure of the letter of explanation, I can give you the outline of how my letter looks like and you can follow that up.
Hi Naresh,
Can you tell how to demonstrate that i can communicate well (other than error free SOP, and certificates of medium of instruction from UG and PG)? In addition to this, if you can brief me about the structure and how to start and end a SOP, what are the do's and dont's and other things i take care while writing it?
If you can hide the names and other things from your SOP, will you be comfortable to share? Also, I am a responsible person who respects other's privacy as much as mine, so dont worry about me doing anything other than just understanding it. Lol, my PhD is somewhat related to individuals privacy.