+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From India, applying for PhD, can I apply through SDS

Chanjot Kaur

Dec 28, 2020
My IELTS overall score is 7 (not less than 6). Can I apply for PhD through SDS.

I am getting scholarship which would be sufficient to cover living expense and tuition fees. Only the amount of fellowship is indicated in my offer letter but is is not mentioned that that much amt will be sufficient to cover all my expense (although it is but this is not mentioned)
So I need to go for GIC in that case?

Do I need to pay one year tuition fees or I can simply sh show my scholarship.

nadir hassan

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
yes you can apply using SDS stream I am not sure about the Gic but I give you guarantee that you can apply through sds

Chanjot Kaur

Dec 28, 2020
Thank you for your response!
Even if I am getting scholarship to cover all my expenses..is it ok to go for GIC and it will not decrease chances of getting my visa accepted?

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
Thank you for your response!
Even if I am getting scholarship to cover all my expenses..is it ok to go for GIC and it will not decrease chances of getting my visa accepted?
Hi, you may apply under regular if your scholarship could meet the monthly living expenses of that particular province in Canada. I have been admitted for a PhD too in Quebec, and I applied under regular category. I felt that going through GIC process is too much and not relevant for me, since I have been awarded university and supervisor's scholarship. Based on this, I decided to submit through regular process. To check how much you need as a student to living in that province, you should look at the official website of that province that estimates your cost of living expense per year. In my case, the Quebec government has its own immigration website and provides all necessary information. I guess you would need around 12-14k CAD to living in any part of Canada, and if your scholarship letter or financial support letter from your supervisor could justify that, it should fine. I have also submitted a letter of financial support from my support in which he states that my scholarship is sufficient for my living expense in Canada. However, you may think over which is better option and go for it. I hope this helps. Be very precise and clear when you present your documents while applying, as well as writing an SOP.

Reactions: Chanjot Kaur

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, you may apply under regular if your scholarship could meet the monthly living expenses of that particular province in Canada. I have been admitted for a PhD too in Quebec, and I applied under regular category. I felt that going through GIC process is too much and not relevant for me, since I have been awarded university and supervisor's scholarship. Based on this, I decided to submit through regular process. To check how much you need as a student to living in that province, you should look at the official website of that province that estimates your cost of living expense per year. In my case, the Quebec government has its own immigration website and provides all necessary information. I guess you would need around 12-14k CAD to living in any part of Canada, and if your scholarship letter or financial support letter from your supervisor could justify that, it should fine. I have also submitted a letter of financial support from my support in which he states that my scholarship is sufficient for my living expense in Canada. However, you may think over which is better option and go for it. I hope this helps. Be very precise and clear when you present your documents while applying, as well as writing an SOP.
Quebec is less expensive. 12-14K is unlikely to be enough in other locations.

Reactions: Chanjot Kaur

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
If I am applying through regular. Do I need to pay tuition fees before applying for visa?
In my case, I didn't pay the fee yet, as I was informed that my scholarship will contribute to the tuition fee when I activate my scholarship after registering to the doctoral program. However, I still need to wait and see what IRCC thinks about this. I have explained about this in the letter of explanation as well.

Vignesh_gnesh

Apr 30, 2021
In my case, I didn't pay the fee yet, as I was informed that my scholarship will contribute to the tuition fee when I activate my scholarship after registering to the doctoral program. However, I still need to wait and see what IRCC thinks about this. I have explained about this in the letter of explanation as well.
Hello, did you get the visa? How long did it take to approve? Did you show any personal funding ?
I have got fully funded MSc position in London, Ontario in Western University. My fees and living expenses will be covered by the institution. Do I need to show any personal funding and do I need to pay GIC?
Please help me. Thank you very much.

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
Hello, did you get the visa? How long did it take to approve? Did you show any personal funding ?
I have got fully funded MSc position in London, Ontario in Western University. My fees and living expenses will be covered by the institution. Do I need to show any personal funding and do I need to pay GIC?
Please help me. Thank you very much.
Yes, I did. It took me 4 months approx. Yes, I did show personal funding around 3000 CAD, despite receiving scholarship from my university. I suggest you indicate some finance from your personal side, just to show them a proof that how would you manage the living expenses as receiving of scholarship could take some time. But, in my opinion that shouldn't be a problem I guess. I did not submit GIC as I am in PhD program with scholarship. GIC would be required SDS application I think. You may check it out.

MKS02

May 21, 2021
In SDS route there is a requirement of payment of one year fee of university. But I have some significant scholarship that is unconditional and adjustable in first year - fall term and winter term equally . Should I pay full university fee without considering this scholarship or should i pay balance fee for SDS ?

winlife

Star Member
Jul 18, 2020
My IELTS overall score is 7 (not less than 6). Can I apply for PhD through SDS.

I am getting scholarship which would be sufficient to cover living expense and tuition fees. Only the amount of fellowship is indicated in my offer letter but is is not mentioned that that much amt will be sufficient to cover all my expense (although it is but this is not mentioned)
So I need to go for GIC in that case?

Do I need to pay one year tuition fees or I can simply sh show my scholarship.
Hello @Chanjot Kaur , did you apply SDS or non-SDS? I am in similar situation and confused :/

jcjc56

Feb 21, 2022
Hi Naresh, how are you doing? I have been admitted to the PhD in neuroscienze program in Western University. I have already sent all the documents for the study permuta but I have a doubt and I would like to know if you could help me. As proof of financial resources I sent my bank statement with approx 5000 CAD and the offer of admission signed by my potential supervisor. In this letter he specifies that I Will receive a funding package of minimum 27000 CAD. Do you think these documents are enough to prove the financial aspect of the study permit applicattion? Thanks

Sep 3, 2022
Can you please share the letter of explanation with me. I need it for my reference