+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Refused

Nm1963

Jul 30, 2022
Dear Altruists,

I have recently heard back from IRCC regarding my work permit refusal. The reasoning given is as follows:

Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if they have maintained full time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program or programs and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at a:  University, community college, CEGEP,  publicly funded trade/technical school or  private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees As you do not meet this requirement, it has been determined that you are not eligible for a work permit in this category

The thing is I was enrolled as a part-time student for one semester (fall 2017-18). I started the semester being enrolled in three courses (full-time course load) and had to drop one in the middle of the semester I was on academic warning in the previous semester and I had to drop that one course as I had a poor mark in it and had I continued in that course my GPA would've dropped below 50% and I would have been put on academic probation. Which would then not allow me to enrol for two further semesters. In order to avoid that, I had to drop that one course and continue as a part-time student for one semester. I wrote a letter explaining my situation, got it checked by an immigration advisor at my university, and attached it to my final application. Yet I got refused. Another important thing to note is it has been over 180 days since my graduation date and I have been told by an immigration advisor at my university that reapplying is not an option, the only thing I can do is request for reconsideration and that is a very 'informal' process and I'd be better served not pursuing it. Now, my question is two-fold -
1.) Is there anyone here who has faced the same situation and has applied for reconsideration successfully? If so, what kind of documents did you have to provide?
2.) What actions would I need to take now in terms of residing in Canada and is it at all possible for me to continue working in this situation?

Any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated, and hoping to hear from some of you very soon. Thanks in advance

Edit: Also needed some advice about the restoration of status aspect. I've decided to enroll in courses in the meantime and get my study permit restored. Would simply paying the study permit extension fee ($150) plus the restoration fee ($200) suffice or would I also need to pay the extra work permit fee ($155) if I want to continue working part-time hours during the course of my studies (if the restoration gets approved)