+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pgwp refused

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Hi. I am currently in a master’s program at the university of Waterloo. The fall term in 2019 was meant to be my last term and hence I took it as a part time term. However I failed a course due to which I had to take an extra term tHat i am currently doing in winter 2020 ( no breaks). Since I only had one course, I was registered as a part time student again. I was also workings part time during both terms. Now while I have been told by the university’s immigration team that I can write a letter of explanation for this unfortunate situation, is there anyway for me to actually pgwp?
As far as I know, you are allowed to work only when you are full time student. If you worked when you are part time student, that is not good..

I think having part time at the last two semesters is not a problem in your case. You need to explain why you had to work during part time semesters..
I am not sure if immigration officers will find your work history but it can be issue.

vhshah

Mar 4, 2020
As far as I know, you are allowed to work only when you are full time student. If you worked when you are part time student, that is not good..

I think having part time at the last two semesters is not a problem in your case. You need to explain why you had to work during part time semesters..
I am not sure if immigration officers will find your work history but it can be issue.
Hi. Thank you for your response. The thing with working during a part time term is that you can only work if it is your last term and you were registered full time for the rest of your program. My fall term was supposed to be my last but for that one course I failed to score the required mark in. So I had to take this extra term with the one course only. So I am doing another term now as part time. All this while I was under the impression that I could work part time in this term too provided I give the visa officer proof of me failing the course alongside a detailed explanation as to why I had to do an extra term at the very last moment. I guess the letter of explanation is my only way out now.

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Hi. Thank you for your response. The thing with working during a part time term is that you can only work if it is your last term and you were registered full time for the rest of your program. My fall term was supposed to be my last but for that one course I failed to score the required mark in. So I had to take this extra term with the one course only. So I am doing another term now as part time. All this while I was under the impression that I could work part time in this term too provided I give the visa officer proof of me failing the course alongside a detailed explanation as to why I had to do an extra term at the very last moment. I guess the letter of explanation is my only way out now.
I see. Sorry. Then you will be okay! Write a letter of explanation just in case. But you will get pgwp I guess! Good luck

301debby

Apr 6, 2018
Heyyy.. I was in part time in two semesters in the middle of the school years. However, I took three courses with 8 credits AND study hours was 14hours which is more than full time study. So if your study hours was more than 9 hours, write a letter about that..

I think you should ask some help to your school advisor or professor. When I was really frustrated and panic, I emailed my school professors and they tried to help me as much as they can. One of the professor wrote a letter for me and sent me. And on the day I got the letter from professor, I got my pgwp! Anyways, get some help from school.

pgwp has some requirement. But the most important thing is that you pursue academic learning actively through your school years.
Thanks, even after i gave a letter of explanation as adviced by my school advisor it was still refused. And again my school is quite different with its credit, one course is 0.5 credits so for me to be a full time i have to take 4 or more courses which is , reaching the end of my year i took 3 courses which is 1.5 credits but then i was told i did not have enough credits to graduate in 2018 because i took courses that did not count towards my major i took in school which made me take an extra year to complete those credits needed to graduate, my school does not have a variety of courses one can take and its limited also based on the major you are taking. Like me i majored in biology so you can only take courses that are biology based and it is not all courses that will count as a credit. Basically the school messed me up.

Last edited: