+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP/PR

Sarantos

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me out with this.

I've recently completed my 2 year working holiday visa and wanted to apply for my PR but didn't have enough points. I spoke with an immigration lawyer and they told me to attend a college ( private ) to obtain a diploma which will get me enough points.

Recently I've heard that Officers from immigration have been reaching out to private colleges advising we cannot guarantee the applicant a PGWP.

My whole plan was to apply for my PGWP which will give me enough time to apply for my PR within that time and as a result I won't lose my job.

My question is will this effect me applying for my PR having a private college diploma?

I'm looking to see if somebody went through similar experience.

Also if I was directly to apply for the PR without going down the PGWP. Is there some sort of bridging visa I can apply for that will allow me to work? Again I'm only applying for PGWP to give me time to apply for my PR.

Any information would be appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I've recently completed my 2 year working holiday visa and wanted to apply for my PR but didn't have enough points. I spoke with an immigration lawyer and they told me to attend a college ( private ) to obtain a diploma which will get me enough points.

Recently I've heard that Officers from immigration have been reaching out to private colleges advising we cannot guarantee the applicant a PGWP.

My whole plan was to apply for my PGWP which will give me enough time to apply for my PR within that time and as a result I won't lose my job.

My question is will this effect me applying for my PR having a private college diploma?

Also if I was directly to apply for the PR without going down the PGWP. Is there some sort of bridging visa I can apply for that will allow me to work? Again I'm only applying for PGWP to give me time to apply for my PR.

Hi

Stupid lawyer. The vast majority of private colleges don't qualify for PGWPs; this is nothing new. If your goal is a PGWP, apply at a public college.

Sarantos

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
my goal is PR. I'm only doing this course to give me sufficient points so I can apply for express entry.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
my goal is PR. I'm only doing this course to give me sufficient points so I can apply for express entry.
You should expect that you will not get a PGWP from this private college program and will not be able to work while your PR app processes.

Sarantos

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
But they don't have any issue with applying for a PR with a private college diploma?

Thanks for your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But they don't have any issue with applying for a PR with a private college diploma?

Thanks for your help.
I honestly can't say. I am not familiar with all of the specifics of EE. I suggest you post in the EE section of the forum.

dap87

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Hi all,

Hi, apply to a school which have a Designated Learning Institution number (DLI), these schools are approved by CIC. Please click link for more information. -> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-institutions-list.asp . If you want to get a PGWP then these schools are you best options. All the best.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A bit confused whether you are saying you plan to keep on working at your current job while attending college. You will only be able to work 20 hours per week if you get a student visa (except during scheduled breaks).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Sarantos

Star Member
Apr 14, 2017
I'm doing a CO-OP at the moment.
A bit confused whether you are saying you plan to keep on working at your current job while attending college. You will only be able to work 20 hours per week if you get a student visa (except during scheduled breaks).

I'm doing my CO-OP for 2 months which entitles me for full time work.