+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP is processing, Study Permit Expired. Can I leave the country ?

balaakshay25

Oct 17, 2019
Hello,

Here is my situation I have applied my PGWP its been 4 months, I got a letter from CIC it's forwarded to the local office at Etobicoke.

I have to attend a very important event in India and have to leave in a month.

I read an article which is : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15

I’m waiting for my post-graduation work permit. Can I travel outside Canada and come back with my student visa?

1) My student visa is expired
2) PGWP is under process
""
When you return to Canada:

• You may enter as a student if your study permit is still valid.
  • If we approved your post-graduation work permit while you were away, you may enter as a worker.
  • If we are still processing your post-graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor, and you can work without a work permit until we make a decision on your application.
  • You can also re-apply for a new work permit, and pay the fees, at the port of entry if you meet all other applicable entry requirements. Once you are in Canada, you can use this web form to withdraw your previous application.
""

The third point above says :

If we are still processing your post-graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor, and you can work without a work permit until we make a decision on your application.

So will my application work like a Visitor visa or should I apply for one ??

Thank you

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You need a valid TRV in your passport to come back. So if its expired you wont be able to come back and will have to wait outside Canada until PGWP is granted, then apply for a new TRV.

You could probably apply for a visitor visa from home but you never know if it will actually be faster.

callmekiis

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
23-01-2021
AOR Received.
21-08-2020
Med's Done....
16-10-2020
i am similar. Mine transferred to Edmonton office.

Usually we can apply the PGWP in the border but as our cases are no longer 'normal'. You may not be able to work after coming back.

Also I will be appreciate if you can share that if you have updates.

balaakshay25

Oct 17, 2019
So far no update. I applied on June 15th for PGWP

I got a letter that it's transferred to Etobicoke on October 15.

Since then I am waiting.

Can you please share your timeline @callmekiis

callmekiis

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
23-01-2021
AOR Received.
21-08-2020
Med's Done....
16-10-2020
Thank you for sharing. I submitted PGWP in Aug 23th.
Dec. 2: transferred to Edmonton CPC.
Now waiting...

Mar 13, 2021
Hello,

Here is my situation I have applied my PGWP its been 4 months, I got a letter from CIC it's forwarded to the local office at Etobicoke.

I have to attend a very important event in India and have to leave in a month.

I read an article which is : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309&top=15

I’m waiting for my post-graduation work permit. Can I travel outside Canada and come back with my student visa?

1) My student visa is expired
2) PGWP is under process
""
When you return to Canada:

• You may enter as a student if your study permit is still valid.
  • If we approved your post-graduation work permit while you were away, you may enter as a worker.
  • If we are still processing your post-graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor, and you can work without a work permit until we make a decision on your application.
  • You can also re-apply for a new work permit, and pay the fees, at the port of entry if you meet all other applicable entry requirements. Once you are in Canada, you can use this web form to withdraw your previous application.
""

The third point above says :

If we are still processing your post-graduation work permit, you may enter as a visitor, and you can work without a work permit until we make a decision on your application.

So will my application work like a Visitor visa or should I apply for one ??

Thank you
Hi have you travelled back home? While your PGWP application in process?
Can you please share your experience with ur PGWP timelines and when did you receive your final decision?

Thank you