+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring soon with no CEC draw

abjiskumar

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
Hi folks,

I need some opinion about what I can do. I know going home is the last option but I am looking for tried and tested options here.

My PGWP expires on 18th Jan , 2022. I have qualified under CEC under express entry in November however as we all know there has been no draw since a while.

Can I apply for PGWP extension (I know it would be rejected), to buy more time for a possible CEC draw?

lcp1234

Jan 6, 2022
Hi folks,

I need some opinion about what I can do. I know going home is the last option but I am looking for tried and tested options here.

My PGWP expires on 18th Jan , 2022. I have qualified under CEC under express entry in November however as we all know there has been no draw since a while.

Can I apply for PGWP extension (I know it would be rejected), to buy more time for a possible CEC draw?
Since you don't qualify for an extension, you should not apply for it to avoid any issues with your PR (you will be extending your status with no support documents so technically doing something illegal). Also, even if there is a CEC draw, once your case is evaluated they will know that you didn't qualify for the extension and therefore your implied status will be revoked, along with any work permit applications you did during that implied status. Overall, not worth the risk. Just change to visitor status and wait for CEC to happen eventually, better to return safe later than to be banned.

Last edited:

babyshamini14

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018
Hi folks,

Ask ur employer to support with work permit and apply for closed work permit.

Immigration lawyers will be able to help you with that. Where you can work only for 1 employer. Till next CEC draw happens with this u will be in valid status.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ask ur employer to support with work permit and apply for closed work permit.

Immigration lawyers will be able to help you with that. Where you can work only for 1 employer. Till next CEC draw happens with this u will be in valid status.
The employer would first need to apply and pay for a LMIA. This takes months and the employer has to show effort to hire Canadians/PRs. Then you have apply for a closed work permit. Each step takes months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi folks,

You can certainly apply for the extension. It will eventually be refused and you'll end up in Canada without status and will have to apply to restore your status (and obviously stop working immediately). If the CEC draw comes through once you are on implied status / after your PGWP expires, then you also will not qualify for a BOWP. The only way the BOWP will work out for you is if the CEC draw happens, you receive ITA, you submit your complete application and you receive AOR - all before your PGWP expires.

So the extension is certainly doable as long as you're prepared to go out of status at some point and have to go through the restoration process.

Reactions: Miracle2018

vignesh93

Jan 2, 2019
Hi folks,

This video might help us! No CEC draw, Options to try!

There are rumors intensifying that a low Score Catch all CEC draw is expected anytime sooner in Jan/Feb for sure. Fingers crossed.

awawdeh

Feb 11, 2018
Hi folks,

PGWP are issued once in a lifetime. They cannot be renewed. I think you have 2 options in this case. Option one, is to convert your visa to a visitor visa so you can stay in the country. This allows you to buy some time. Option 2 is to register for a new educational course. This would allow you to have part time job and buy time. However, you can apply for a Bridging WP if you have been invited to apply under one of the EE streams and have reached the R10 stage of application review for completeness. Best wishes

learning22

Jan 9, 2022
You can certainly apply for the extension. It will eventually be refused and you'll end up in Canada without status and will have to apply to restore your status (and obviously stop working immediately). If the CEC draw comes through once you are on implied status / after your PGWP expires, then you also will not qualify for a BOWP. The only way the BOWP will work out for you is if the CEC draw happens, you receive ITA, you submit your complete application and you receive AOR - all before your PGWP expires.

So the extension is certainly doable as long as you're prepared to go out of status at some point and have to go through the restoration process.
Scylla, thank you for this great explanation. Would you be willing to clarify why anyone doing this would not qualify for a BOWP if they were selected in a CEC draw during the period of implied status? The IRCC website seems to indicate that people who are either on implied status, or are eligible to restore their status, are eligible to apply for the BOWP. Is there an additional requirement that is not listed on this page, or am I missing something entirely? Thank you. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Scylla, thank you for this great explanation. Would you be willing to clarify why anyone doing this would not qualify for a BOWP if they were selected in a CEC draw during the period of implied status? The IRCC website seems to indicate that people who are either on implied status, or are eligible to restore their status, are eligible to apply for the BOWP. Is there an additional requirement that is not listed on this page, or am I missing something entirely? Thank you. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html
Because in this case the person would be applying for an extension to the PGWP without qualifying for one which will result in a refusal. They will qualify to restore their status - but only to visitor and not to worker. The requirement is that a person qualify to restore their status to a worker. It would only be possible for someone in this situation to meet this requirement (i.e. qualify to restore their status to a work permit) if they have a job offer and approved LMIA.

Hmmm

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
Because in this case the person would be applying for an extension to the PGWP without qualifying for one which will result in a refusal. They will qualify to restore their status - but only to visitor and not to worker. The requirement is that a person qualify to restore their status to a worker. It would only be possible for someone in this situation to meet this requirement (i.e. qualify to restore their status to a work permit) if they have a job offer and approved LMIA.
You are eligible for a BOWP if have a “maintained/implied” status - that’s what on the IRCC website.
If you apply to extend your PGWP even though you know that it will be refused you are considered to be on a maintained/implied status before a decision can be made.
In the event that you receive an ITA before getting your PGWP refusal decision, you can submit your application and use the AOR to apply for your BOWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are eligible for a BOWP if have a “maintained/implied” status - that’s what on the IRCC website.
If you apply to extend your PGWP even though you know that it will be refused you are considered to be on a maintained/implied status before a decision can be made.
In the event that you receive an ITA before getting your PGWP refusal decision, you can submit your application and use the AOR to apply for your BOWP.
Not necessarily. We've seen cases on this forum where the BOWP was still refused. Some have lucked out in terms of timing but others have not.

If the PGWP extension is refused before the BOWP is approved, we've seen a number of cases here where IRCC has said that the applicant lost their status in Canada as of the expiry of their PGWP (because they applied for the extension without qualifying for an extension). Consequently implied status is lost (or more accurately, the applicant is considered never to have had implied status) and the applicant consequently no longer meets the requirements for a BOWP, resulting in the BOWP being refused.

So this path isn't guaranteed to succeed. Of course people can definitely try and hope for the best. The chances of success are highest if someone gets ITA very soon after the PGWP expiry.

Hmmm

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
Not necessarily. We've seen cases on this forum where the BOWP was still refused. Some have lucked out in terms of timing but others have not.

If the PGWP extension is refused before the BOWP is approved, we've seen a number of cases here where IRCC has said that the applicant lost their status in Canada as of the expiry of their PGWP (because they applied for the extension without qualifying for an extension). Consequently implied status is lost (or more accurately, the applicant is considered never to have had implied status) and the applicant consequently no longer meets the requirements for a BOWP, resulting in the BOWP being refused.

So this path isn't guaranteed to succeed. Of course people can definitely try and hope for the best. The chances of success are highest if someone gets ITA very soon after the PGWP expiry.
Well, if someone had done this in the past and got thier BOWP refused, that was because circumstances were normal and they had no reason to apply for a PGWP extension unlike now. I will not advise anyone to extend their PGWP under normal circumstances when ITA are being issued regularly.

This article shares some insights: https://mcncanadaimmigration.com/implied-status-when-is-it-lost/

Jevish

May 31, 2015
Hi folks,

sign and share this petition with people - we need this urgently. Thank you .

https://www.change.org/p/sean-fraser-minister-of-immigration-refugees-and-citizenship-of-canada-resume-cec-draws-for-temporary-foreign-workers?signed=true

Cloudpizzaa

Mar 25, 2022

Hey scylla, i got my pr refusal, i didn't apply for bowp, what are my options i have 4 months left for my pgwp, please help