+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring soon with no CEC draw

ZEDHAD

Aug 15, 2022
Just to further highlight what I said above for #2... IRCC's own words:

Important: This authority should not be used for the sake of convenience, nor in any other manner that would undermine or try to circumvent the importance of the LMIA in the work permit process. Rather it is intended to address situations where the significant social, cultural or economic benefits to Canada of issuing the work permit are so clear and compelling that the importance of the LMIA process can be overcome. The impact on Canada’s labour market should be neutral or positive with the issuance of the work permit.
yeah I guess it is true with regard to circumventing the LMIA. Thanks for helping me to better understand the recent changes to the BOWP eligibility requirements.

Final question, if a foreign national applies for a study permit prior to the expiry of their PGWP, would they still be allowed to work under maintained status? If so, and they receive an ITA and apply for PR while the study permit is still processing, would they be eligible for a BOWP under the "maintained status" provision using their AOR? The foreign national must obviously not withdraw the study permit application as was the case in the link provided in post #12 of this thread.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yeah I guess it is true with regard to circumventing the LMIA. Thanks for helping me to better understand the recent changes to the BOWP eligibility requirements.

Final question, if a foreign national applies for a study permit prior to the expiry of their PGWP, would they still be allowed to work under maintained status? If so, and they receive an ITA and apply for PR while the study permit is still processing, would they be eligible for a BOWP under the "maintained status" provision using their AOR? The foreign national must obviously not withdraw the study permit application as was the case in the link provided in post #12 of this thread.
No. They wouldn't be able to continue working. They would need to stop working once the PGWP expired and would only be able to start again once the study permit is approved AND they start their studies full time. Once they start their studies full time, they will be able to work up to 20 hours a week.

This scenario would not allow someone to qualify for a BOWP since they wouldn't be maintaining status as a work permit holder but would be switching to a study permit.

Reactions: ZEDHAD

abjiskumar

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
@ZEDHAD & @scylla , this is purely from my experience. From what I understand by being around people who were in a similar boat as mine and after observing months later how it has panned out, I have concluded a few points :-

1) The work permit department is currently approving work permits right left center, especially for those who are in Canada all throughout.

2) They just need to know you are currently in Canada.

3) They are ignoring C10 check from my experience depending on the case and how far they have been in Canada and your work experience in Canada.

I applied for a WP extension from PGWP before my PGWP expired without the AOR. I simply attached a letter explaining my work experience and stuff over the last 2 years. This application ran for 6 months before they approved it. Now in these 6 months I again applied for an actual BOWP as per the rules as I got the AOR. So in 6 months I applied for two work permit extensions. The result is both got approved at different times with each succeeding work permit valid for a longer time than the previous one.

None of the above is as per IRCC rules explicitly. My only risk was with my first work permit application. My second work permit application was based on the rule that I can apply for BOWP as long as I am on implied status, which I was. So far things have worked since I have not lied on record. I received my PPR last week, which reaffirms my assumption.

Again, this need to be applicable to everyone.

Reactions: andrews17

Hmmm

Star Member
Jan 31, 2022
@ZEDHAD & @scylla , this is purely from my experience. From what I understand by being around people who were in a similar boat as mine and after observing months later how it has panned out, I have concluded a few points :-

1) The work permit department is currently approving work permits right left center, especially for those who are in Canada all throughout.

3) They are ignoring C10 check from my experience depending on the case and how far they have been in Canada and your work experience in Canada.

I applied for a WP extension from PGWP before my PGWP expired without the AOR. I simply attached a letter explaining my work experience and stuff over the last 2 years. This application ran for 6 months before they approved it. Now in these 6 months I again applied for an actual BOWP as per the rules as I got the AOR. So in 6 months I applied for two work permit extensions. The result is both got approved at different times with each succeeding work permit valid for a longer time than the previous one.

None of the above is as per IRCC rules explicitly. My only risk was with my first work permit application. My second work permit application was based on the rule that I can apply for BOWP as long as I am on implied status, which I was. So far things have worked since I have not lied on record. I received my PPR last week, which reaffirms my assumption.

When did you submit your first application?

timhortonsspender

Star Member
Nov 24, 2022

May be you were retroactively eligible for the 2022 extension policy announced on Aug 2, 2022 ?--with regards to your first extension application.