+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring and BOWP application

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
Then yes, you can travel outside if you have a valid TRV and a physical BOWP. No issues there.
What if I don’t have the BOWP yet? And my PGWP is about to expire when I come back? Say if my PGWP expires May 2nd, 2024 and I come back on April 30th. Would that be an issue entering?

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
Then yes, you can travel outside if you have a valid TRV and a physical BOWP. No issues there.
What if I don't have the BOWP yet and my PGWP is about to expire? Say my PGWP is expiring May 2, 2024 and I will be coming back to Canada on the April 30t. Will there be any issues there?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
What if I don't have the BOWP yet and my PGWP is about to expire? Say my PGWP is expiring May 2, 2024 and I will be coming back to Canada on the April 30t. Will there be any issues there?
When you apply for the BOWP, IRCC will send you an implied status extension letter to cover the processing time (typically valid for 4 to 6 months after the expiry of the current permit). So you can show the border agent this upon returning. I do not believe this should pose a problem. Also be prepared to show other proof of the application if asked (fees paid, etc).

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
When you apply for the BOWP, IRCC will send you an implied status extension letter to cover the processing time (typically valid for 4 to 6 months after the expiry of the current permit). So you can show the border agent this upon returning. I do not believe this should pose a problem. Also be prepared to show other proof of the application if asked (fees paid, etc).
Great! Thank you so much

asa26

Jan 23, 2024

Hi, another question so in terms of the work experience I've gained while studying on a coop program and while studying a one year diploma should be included on my list of work experiences or should I just not list them? And only put on the list the work experience after receiving my PGWP?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hi, another question so in terms of the work experience I've gained while studying on a coop program and while studying a one year diploma should be included on my list of work experiences or should I just not list them? And only put on the list the work experience after receiving my PGWP?
There is no need to list it because it will not count towards CEC. You were a student at that time, so stick to that story. Only list what you want to count and can prove.

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
There is no need to list it because it will not count towards CEC. You were a student at that time, so stick to that story. Only list what you want to count and can prove.

Can't I list it and just select "Yes" on the questions if studying full time at that time?
And Select "NO" on studying full time on the duration from when I received my PGWP?

VipinVP

Sep 24, 2022
Hi! I just wanted to ask since my PGWP is also expiring on May 2024. I have submitted my express entry profile.
How did you apply for the Bridging work permit? I thought you could only apply for the Bridging work permit if you have submitted your PR application?

So, is it possible to apply for it now while waiting for an ITA from Express entry?
Yes, as per my research what I found as one of the eligibility is having PR application submitted (express entry profile created ----> recieved ITA------->submitted docs------>recieved AOR-------->R10 check completed) and completed R10 check.

VipinVP

Sep 24, 2022
My PGWP expires on Feb 08 2024 and my AOR was Nov 10 2022, so we're on the same boat. I applied for BOWP on Oct 2023 and received an automatic extension of my PGWP to Apr 2024. Even though implied status technically covers the time period between the expiry of your temporary status and the approval of your PR application, most employers will look at the date on the extension document that you receive when you apply for BOWP and refuse to extend your contract to beyond that date. At least, that has been the case in my experience.

I would suggest to apply for BOWP asap and pray that you get your PR before your status expires. While the government will authorize you to work under implied status, it's upto the employer's discretion whether they want to hire or retain a temporary worker in implied status.
Yes, my employer is already concerned about my status as a worker. By the way, why did you applied for BOWP so early? I see that you have to apply only within the three months of your PGWP expiry date.
And did you get BOWP? How long it took to process?

Mihirakula

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
Yes, my employer is already concerned about my status as a worker. By the way, why did you applied for BOWP so early? I see that you have to apply only within the three months of your PGWP expiry date.
And did you get BOWP? How long it took to process?
Because BOWP processing time is indefinitely long, and I actually received my eCOPR today while I still haven't received my BOWP!

Reactions: VipinVP and Taran D

VipinVP

Sep 24, 2022
Because BOWP processing time is indefinitely long, and I actually received my eCOPR today while I still haven't received my BOWP!
I applied for BOWP yesterday. I got a confirmation letter in my account that they received my application, but it doesn't mention any dates. Can I continue to work with this letter or are they going to send another letter with some dates?
Please let me know, thanks!

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
I applied for BOWP yesterday. I got a confirmation letter in my account that they received my application, but it doesn't mention any dates. Can I continue to work with this letter or are they going to send another letter with some dates?
Please let me know, thanks!
Can I keep working if my permit expires? How do I prove this to my employer?
Yes, if you applied to extend or change your work permit before your work permit expired, you
  • have maintained your status
  • are authorized to work until we finalize your application
You must stay in Canada and continue working under the same conditions as your original work permit. For example, if you have an employer-specific work permit, you must still work for the employer named on that permit.
If your employer needs proof you can keep working, there are documents you can show them.

Reactions: VipinVP

VipinVP

Sep 24, 2022
Can I keep working if my permit expires? How do I prove this to my employer?
Yes, if you applied to extend or change your work permit before your work permit expired, you
  • have maintained your status
  • are authorized to work until we finalize your application
You must stay in Canada and continue working under the same conditions as your original work permit. For example, if you have an employer-specific work permit, you must still work for the employer named on that permit.
If your employer needs proof you can keep working, there are documents you can show them.
Thanks for sharing. But the thing is I don't have an expiry date on the letter that they sent me (usually it must be 180 days from the day I applied). Any idea regarding this?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks for sharing. But the thing is I don't have an expiry date on the letter that they sent me (usually it must be 180 days from the day I applied). Any idea regarding this?
Did you got just Confirmation letter or you got 2 letter? if you didn’t got second letter it should come in few days in your account. Even though you didn’t get it, you are still on maintained status. You can keep working with same employer and under same conditions until decision is made on your application. Expiry date on that letter doesn’t mean anything.

VipinVP

Sep 24, 2022
Did you got just Confirmation letter or you got 2 letter? if you didn’t got second letter it should come in few days in your account. Even though you didn’t get it, you are still on maintained status. You can keep working with same employer and under same conditions until decision is made on your application. Expiry date on that letter doesn’t mean anything.
Great! Yes, I only recieved one letter as of now. Thanks for clarifying.