+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP expiring and BOWP application

VipinVP

Sep 24, 2022
Hello folks, greetings!
I was wondering if anybody gone through the same scenario and can share their experience.

My PGWP is going to expire in May 2024 and PR application under CEC is still under process since Oct 2022. I'm planning apply for BOWP, but I have the following questions:

1. If my BOWP is not approved before May 2024, can I still work?
2. If PR is approved before my PGWP expires and I already applied for BOWP, am I eligible for a refund?
3. Ideally, when should I apply for BOWP? The IRCC website says at least 30 days before PGWP expiry. But an IRCC agent told me I have to apply right away.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
1) Yes you can still work if your work permit application is processing. You would be under implied status until a decision was made.
2) No, this is not a reason for a refund unfortunately.
3) Lets assume you have 1yr left on the PGWP, it would not be wise to immediately apply for a bridging permit. The BOWP is ideally used to cover the gap between your current status expiring (work permit) to when your PR application in approved. PR applications typically takes 6 months or more, so If your permit will expire before 6 months, then it would be best to immediately apply for the BOWP.

VipinVP

Sep 24, 2022
1) Yes you can still work if your work permit application is processing. You would be under implied status until a decision was made.
3) Lets assume you have 1yr left on the PGWP, it would not be wise to immediately apply for a bridging permit. The BOWP is ideally used to cover the gap between your current status expiring (work permit) to when your PR application in approved. PR applications typically takes 6 months or more, so If your permit will expire before 6 months, then it would be best to immediately apply for the BOWP.
Thanks for the response.

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
Hi! I just wanted to ask since my PGWP is also expiring on May 2024. I have submitted my express entry profile.
How did you apply for the Bridging work permit? I thought you could only apply for the Bridging work permit if you have submitted your PR application?

So, is it possible to apply for it now while waiting for an ITA from Express entry?

asa26

Jan 23, 2024

Hi! I was wondering as I thought you could only apply for BOWP if you have an ITA and is waiting for your PR approval.
If I am on my current PGWP and is expiring on May 2024 does this mean, I am eligible to apply for BOWP right now?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi! I was wondering as I thought you could only apply for BOWP if you have an ITA and is waiting for your PR approval.
If I am on my current PGWP and is expiring on May 2024 does this mean, I am eligible to apply for BOWP right now?
You are eligible for BOWP if you received ITA, applied for PR and received AOR.

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
You are eligible for BOWP if you received ITA, applied for PR and received AOR.
And if I don't have an ITA yet, I can't, right?

Also, I have to update my profile from Single to Common law partnership. Can I do that on my express entry profile or is there a seperate website to change that status?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
And if I don't have an ITA yet, I can't, right?

Also, I have to update my profile from Single to Common law partnership. Can I do that on my express entry profile or is there a seperate website to change that status?
You aren’t eligible for BOWP. Update EE profile to common law. How long common law?

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
You aren’t eligible for BOWP. Update EE profile to common law. How long common law?

Could I update that thru the GCkey profile? we've been common law for more than 19 months.

Last edited:

Mihirakula

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
My PGWP expires on Feb 08 2024 and my AOR was Nov 10 2022, so we're on the same boat. I applied for BOWP on Oct 2023 and received an automatic extension of my PGWP to Apr 2024. Even though implied status technically covers the time period between the expiry of your temporary status and the approval of your PR application, most employers will look at the date on the extension document that you receive when you apply for BOWP and refuse to extend your contract to beyond that date. At least, that has been the case in my experience.

I would suggest to apply for BOWP asap and pray that you get your PR before your status expires. While the government will authorize you to work under implied status, it's upto the employer's discretion whether they want to hire or retain a temporary worker in implied status.

Reactions: VipinVP

asa26

Jan 23, 2024
Do you know if I was able to get an ITA and obtained a BOWP, and I decided to travel outside Canada. Will I be allowed to enter back in?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
My PGWP expires on Feb 08 2024 and my AOR was Nov 10 2022, so we're on the same boat. I applied for BOWP on Oct 2023 and received an automatic extension of my PGWP to Apr 2024. Even though implied status technically covers the time period between the expiry of your temporary status and the approval of your PR application, most employers will look at the date on the extension document that you receive when you apply for BOWP and refuse to extend your contract to beyond that date. At least, that has been the case in my experience.

I would suggest to apply for BOWP asap and pray that you get your PR before your status expires. While the government will authorize you to work under implied status, it's upto the employer's discretion whether they want to hire or retain a temporary worker in implied status.
If your employer really requires something written from IRCC, you can request another extension letter.

Reactions: VipinVP