+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

pgwp expire soon, got a job offer from a restaurant

tracytran

Star Member
May 25, 2013
Hi everyone. I graduated MBA and got 14 months post graduation work permit. I worked in a restaurant as a server while i'm in my off campus work permit then my pgwp to get experience and support myself but it doesnt count. My boss wanted to promote and fill lmo for me as assistant manager. they own franchise companies so i think it is big enough to qualify pr and lmo requirements. However, something came up and i got laid off. i got a job offer from other restaurant that is small and a family own business. They run business for 12 years already and just changed to a new owner about 1.5 years ( i read on internet). They pay $16.5 per hour and work 40 hours per week. they do not have to provide transportation and accommodation cost because i have been here for 4 years. now i pgwp will expire in oct 30, 2013. i just started working there since july 1.they willing to provide lmo for me because i work volunteer ( doesnt count) for them for 1 year, so they know about my education and experience. is it possible for me to get positive lmo? they want me to work for them and get my first cheque in august then fill out lmo. do i have enough time to get lmo and then apply for work permit? there is a CIC strike now. Thanks

tracytran

Star Member
May 25, 2013
I had 1.5 years worked in food industry and 1 year in sale. I'm waiting for my food safe that is expected to come in next few days

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
What is LMO?

Its a requirement which make goverment sure that they are not able to get the person of your skill set in canada.
It works on how your employer show the case. They need to advertise the job and show people u applied doesnot met
the criteria thats why they are hiring you. It wil be positive if they were able to provide the proof of it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
tracytran said:
Hi everyone. I graduated MBA and got 14 months post graduation work permit... now i pgwp will expire in oct 30, 2013. is it possible for me to get positive lmo? they want me to work for them and get my first cheque in august then fill out lmo. do i have enough time to get lmo and then apply for work permit? there is a CIC strike now. Thanks
You didn't say what the position was for at the 2nd restaurant, is it also Assistant Manager? (In most cases, it has to be a skilled occupation to obtain an LMO).

Also, what province are you in?

HRSDC processes LMOs. CIC processes TWPs. Yes, there is enough time. If you submit your LMO application in August, you might have a response by the end of October, but even if you do not, you can apply for your new work permit within the 2 weeks before your current permit expires. As long as you apply before your current permit expires, you will be on implied status until you receive a response from CIC (meaning, you can continue working under the same conditions, as long as you remain in Canada).

tracytran

Star Member
May 25, 2013
LMO stands for Labour market opinion that is necessary to extend for work permit.
It also is assistant manager but smaller company, exactly family owned business. they have run this business for 12 years already, the old owner move to vancouver and open new one with similar name. The new one is about 2 years. I checked NOC list and restaurant assistant manager is 0631: restaurant and food service manager.I'm in BC. I came to canada since 2009, studied ESl then MBA, graduated in Nov 2012, got 1 year work permit. I will get my first cheque in august. Do you think it is possible to apply for lmo when i havent worked for them for a long them? I read on cic website and it said that if i'm on pgwp, Employers hiring former PGWPP participants in higher-skilled occupations are not required to conduct recruitment or advertisement efforts, provided, the LMO is received by the appropriate Service Canada Centre within 90 days of the expiration of the post-graduate work permit. In instances where the post-graduate work permit has expired, and over 90 days have elapsed from the date Service Canada receives the application, employers will be required to demonstrate recruitment efforts as per the normal requirements for higher-skilled occupations.

tracytran

Star Member
May 25, 2013
If the company fill lmo for me to extend work permit, the work permit is closed or open work permit?How long should they write down the length of working time?1 year or 2 years?I want to use the company to apply pr under cec

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
tracytran said:
If the company fill lmo for me to extend work permit, the work permit is closed or open work permit?How long should they write down the length of working time?1 year or 2 years?I want to use the company to apply pr under cec
That would be a closed work permit. It will be tied to that employer.

I would request two years. That way you can continue working while you file CEC or PNP (since CEC requires 1 year of experience) without having to get a new work permit or fret over when your BOWP will come. Just my opinion.

girl_ON

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
amikety said:
That would be a closed work permit. It will be tied to that employer.

I would request two years. That way you can continue working while you file CEC or PNP (since CEC requires 1 year of experience) without having to get a new work permit or fret over when your BOWP will come. Just my opinion.
Hi,

To be apply under CEC Program, i have one year skill work experience and one year education. Am I qualify for that?
Since I havent saw the education requirement on CIC website.
But others post mention that must be 2 year education. Is that true?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
If you're reading the CIC website, you're viewing the official rules of the Canadian government.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

You need to meet these requirements to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:
•plan to live outside the province of Quebec
•have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
•have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
•meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).

I see no requirements regarding education.

tracytran

Star Member
May 25, 2013
i worked full time like a server on my off campus for 6 months and 4 months on my post graduation work permit. The company that provide lmo want to help me but they dont know much about paper work. How much an assistant manager paid for 1 hour? just say i have no experience in restaurant management?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
tracytran said:
i worked full time like a server on my off campus for 6 months and 4 months on my post graduation work permit. The company that provide lmo want to help me but they dont know much about paper work. How much an assistant manager paid for 1 hour? just say i have no experience in restaurant management?
If you worked full time on an off campus work permit, you were working illegally.

This may help:

http://www.canadavisa.com/restaurant-food-service-managers-0631.html

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/report-eng.do?area=25565&lang=eng&noc=0631&backurl=http%3A%2F%2Fca.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3B_ylt%3DA0oGkmh20d1RDm4A0g_rFAx.%3Fp%3Dnoc%2520code%25200631%2520wages%2520bc%26fr2%3Dsb-top%26fr%3Dyfp-t-715%26rd%3Dr1&ln=p&s=1#wages

If they are having a lot of trouble, they may want to hire a consultant to help with the process. They can also contact HRSDC directly to get information.

Keep in mind, they still have to advertise the job as if they were really hiring a new employee. If they don't show recruitment efforts, the LMO will be denied.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
tracytran said:
I'm on my pgwp. do they still need to do ad?
Take a look: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/higher_skilled/students/index.shtml