+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP Application after travel restrictions

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Hello all,

I am an MBA grad whose study permit is valid till 30th March, 2021. I had come to India for some emergency in December and was planning to go back on 15th March and apply for PGWP from Canada. I already have a job offer.

Now with the recent travel restrictions where you will have to pay $2000 for a 3 day quarantine. Therefore, was thinking to cancel my flight and postpone the travel.

My question is, now that I am in India, I want to apply for PGWP before my study permit expires. Should I apply for it stating that I am applying from "Within Canada"?, as my status in Canada is still 'Student'?
Or I need to apply for the PGWP as "from outside canada"? Is inside/outside concerned with geographic location or your current status in Canada?

If I apply as "Within Canada", i can get my work permit deliver in India through courier once approved.

Let me know what's the best way to apply for PGWP in my case.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Now with the recent travel restrictions where you will have to pay $2000 for a 3 day quarantine. Therefore, was thinking to cancel my flight and postpone the travel.
Did you even read the original press release by the Govt. of Canada?
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-introduces-further-restrictions-on-international-travel.html

As soon as possible in the coming weeks, all air travellers arriving in Canada, with very limited exceptions, must reserve a room in a Government of Canada-approved hotel for three nights at their own cost, and take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival at their own cost. More details will be available in the coming days.

The hotel stay requirement is at least a week or two away from being implemented in actuality.

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Did you even read the original press release by the Govt. of Canada?
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-introduces-further-restrictions-on-international-travel.html

As soon as possible in the coming weeks, all air travellers arriving in Canada, with very limited exceptions, must reserve a room in a Government of Canada-approved hotel for three nights at their own cost, and take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival at their own cost. More details will be available in the coming days.

The hotel stay requirement is at least a week or two away from being implemented in actuality.
Yes, I have read this.
My flight is on 15th March so by that time, it will definitely be implemented. The exact cost and details have not been disclosed yet. But as per the news, if it's more than $2000 for 3 nights, then I might think of staying back and applying for PGWP from India.

And if i do that, I circle back to the same question that I had asked earlier, should it be a an inside or outside Canada application? And about the TRV process if I apply it as outside Canada.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
Yes, I have read this.
My flight is on 15th March so by that time, it will definitely be implemented. The exact cost and details have not been disclosed yet. But as per the news, if it's more than $2000 for 3 nights, then I might think of staying back and applying for PGWP from India.

And if i do that, I circle back to the same question that I had asked earlier, should it be a an inside or outside Canada application? And about the TRV process if I apply it as outside Canada.
Kinda sucks in that case but you should also keep it mind that the $2k hotel bit might stay in place for the entirety of the year.

ronitsharma

Star Member
Sep 4, 2017
Kinda sucks in that case but you should also keep it mind that the $2k hotel bit might stay in place for the entirety of the year.
Makes sense. I will wait for now and see the experience of other people in February. If it for 6 months, then I will probably have to go.

mnint

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
oof i wanted to visit my family on april end (no emergency situtation). my study permit expires on 31st july..now i think it's probably best to apply, get the study permit and then visit them