+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP - Integration after they arrive

RAY2112

Jul 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello every one,
I found this forum very useful. I need your experts on this following situation. My parents are on Super visa and they live in Ontario. I know they need to have Ontario photo card (as an address proof) to apply for health card (OHIP). They are almost in their last stage of receiving PR.. I am just wondering if they can apply for and get an Ontario photo card now? so that they can apply for OHIP once they received their PR. in this way we can minimize the waiting time .. Please give me your thoughts.
Thanks
Not yet, you have to wait until they land as PRs, and get the record of landing IMM008. after that you can do the photo card.

ananthyog

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019
Not yet, you have to wait until they land as PRs, and get the record of landing IMM008. after that you can do the photo card.
Thanks. I found that visitors can apply for Ontario photo card.. I am not sure how reliable source I got that from. Is that true
Can a visitor get an Ontario Photo Card?
Yes, you can. All the instructions you need are on the page you linked: You can apply for an Ontario Photo Card if you: do not drive.

If visitors can apply is there any different in photo card between the people applied from visitor visa and PR?

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Hi folks,
Parents who migrated here via PGP program can legally work here if they choose to or is there any restrictions ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi folks,
Parents who migrated here via PGP program can legally work here if they choose to or is there any restrictions ?
They can work. No restrictions once they are PRs.

Reactions: macwhitby

macwhitby

Nov 18, 2016
Whitby
LANDED..........
21-11-2014
Hi peeps,
Does anyone file taxes for your parents for the first time ? Anything to know particular in terms of filing taxes for the first time after their landing as PR ?

Reactions: Ottawan83

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
- When filing parents' tax return, what should be their household or family income (assuming they are not working)? Would it be zero or should that include the sponsor's income in case they live on the same address?

- Related to the previous question, if their income is zero, will they qualify for tax credits like gst credit, or Ontario Trillium benefit , etc? Or would that contradict with the undertaking that they should not receive social assistance?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
- When filing parents' tax return, what should be their household or family income (assuming they are not working)? Would it be zero or should that include the sponsor's income in case they live on the same address?
It depends if they have other incomes such as pension and investment. The sponsor's income are excluded.

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
It depends if they have other incomes such as pension and investment. The sponsor's income are excluded.
They have zero income. They are financially dependent on their sponsor. Will they be considered zero income or whatever sponsor's income?

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
Anyone here whom parents landed recently in Ontario and got their OHIP card? I am curious to know what is the fastest way to do so.
So far, I plan first to get them Ontario photo card as a proof of address and then use it to apply gor OHIP. Is there a faster way?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone here whom parents landed recently in Ontario and got their OHIP card? I am curious to know what is the fastest way to do so.
So far, I plan first to get them Ontario photo card as a proof of address and then use it to apply gor OHIP. Is there a faster way?
Can they not go to a bank (such as TD) to get a bank account? A correspondence from the bank can serve as proof of address. I saw from other post that TD accepts foreign passport holders to open bank accounts.

Ottawan83

Aug 31, 2019
Can they not go to a bank (such as TD) to get a bank account? A correspondence from the bank can serve as proof of address. I saw from other post that TD accepts foreign passport holders to open bank accounts.
Good idea! I think it should be faster than Ontario photo card, right?

Follow-up question: can they receive medical care while waiting for OHIP card? (I think they should be covered from the day they arrive but not sure if Doctors accept them as patients if needs be)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good idea! I think it should be faster than Ontario photo card, right?

Follow-up question: can they receive medical care while waiting for OHIP card? (I think they should be covered from the day they arrive but not sure if Doctors accept them as patients if needs be)
I'm not sure because I don't live in Ontario.

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022
If they don't have a lease, you can add them to one of your bills and use that otherwise Ontario photo ID is the fastest. If they intend to drive then G1 will be the fastest.

The bank statement needs to be mailed, you cannot use the bank stamp or online statement, it's so silly

Last edited: