+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP - Integration after they arrive

JasonDyk

Star Member
Jul 25, 2019
When you are married , your parents will be counted as your dependent for tax purposes when you are single or divorced. You can find that on CRA website as well.
So when you are married, you can not claim tax benefits?
When you are single or divorced, you can?

Sorry that I am asking for clarification as your response was little unclear to me.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
When you are married , your parents will be counted as your dependent for tax purposes when you are single or divorced. You can find that on CRA website as well.
What I would do when indicating the CRA says it's allowed is post the official link from THE CRA website as backup to the claim
Every person's situation is unique especially when it's connected to taxes

JUST CHILL

Star Member
May 24, 2009
What i mean is that if you r married then you cant claim your parents as your dependent. In CRA website to find who will be considered as your dependent for tax purposes they have 3 starting questions saying if anyone of these is applicable then you are not . You guys can find that out .

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
So when you are married, you can not claim tax benefits?
When you are single or divorced, you can?

Sorry that I am asking for clarification as your response was little unclear to me.
You get a tax credit for dependent spouse and kids I believe. For parents, it works in a bit different way. I will post the details here later.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This isn’t correct. Most parents and their adult children are not dependent on each other in their taxes in Canada.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
For clarification on "dependent" please check the below link with details explanation:

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/claiming-the-eligible-dependant-credit-5107

In summary, if your parent are living with you and their taxable income is low (check the amount to get the exact, but for single parent it have to be below $12k approximately), you can claim dependent credit for them.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/tax-packages-years/general-income-tax-benefit-package/5000-s5.html

Last edited:

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Hi everyone,
My parents want to do "soft landing" (land in March and leave after few days) and then come back in late summer for a longer stay and settle (get bank account, health cards etc).
For a drivers license exchange, does the exchange period start from landing date, or when they get settled and actually get a proof of residence in the province? We are in Alberta, but I am wondering how it works in other provinces as well.
Also, should I get a general power of attorney so that I can speak to govt services, including IRCC, if needed, while the parents are away?
Thank you for any ideas!

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hi everyone,
My parents want to do "soft landing" (land in March and leave after few days) and then come back in late summer for a longer stay and settle (get bank account, health cards etc).
For a drivers license exchange, does the exchange period start from landing date, or when they get settled and actually get a proof of residence in the province? We are in Alberta, but I am wondering how it works in other provinces as well.
Also, should I get a general power of attorney so that I can speak to govt services, including IRCC, if needed, while the parents are away?
Thank you for any ideas!
I don't think there is an "exchange" system. Our parents have to take the driver's tests just like any immigrant.

They have to pass the Learner's Test (MCQs). With the GDL 7 they can then submit a request for a waiver of the 1 year requirement by claiming previous driving experience in their home country. They will have to surrender their driver's licence from their home country as part of the application.

Once the waiver is approved they can apply to take the Practical Driving Test to attain the GDL 5.

Reactions: kisunja

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
I don't think there is an "exchange" system. Our parents have to take the driver's tests just like any immigrant. <Cut>
/QUOTE]
Thank you for the explanation! In AB, there is a direct exchange process for a handful of countries, but not for mine :(

Reactions: nayr69sg

OKTree

Jan 15, 2019
My mom has a house in China, and she is going to sell it this year. Does it mean she will need to pay some tax in Canada since she is landing this year? But she will need to pay transfer tax etc in China already. So she needs to pay double tax? And how could things of tax work for the pension she has in China?
Thank you for any input!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My mom has a house in China, and she is going to sell it this year. Does it mean she will need to pay some tax in Canada since she is landing this year? But she will need to pay transfer tax etc in China already. So she needs to pay double tax? And how could things of tax work for the pension she has in China?
Thank you for any input!
"She is landing this year" does not mean "she became a tax resident this year".

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for any input!
Your mother will get taxed on international income including her pension.

canbest

Oct 27, 2014
Hi, have anyone's parents landed in Alberta and applied for health card? I know you can apply for it as soon as you land, but they won't have any address proof. What was used as the address proof (or just the COPR/Passport are enough)? They will live with me, so no lease or utility bills in their name. Bank statements can take more than a month to be mailed. Thanks.