+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP Clarification on Interest to Sponsor Form

AI_AI_AI

Jan 2, 2024
Good morning everyone,

I hope this question hasn't been asked too much.

So, as per my research, it seems like there is no way to submit an Interest to Sponsor at the moment and this flow hasn't been open since 2020 (as per https://www.canadavisa.com/parent-and-grandparent-sponsorship.html).

The process for the 2023 PGP was as follows:
Step 1: Ensure you have met the eligibility criteria.
Step 2: Have completed an Interest to Sponsor form on IRCC's website and submitted a profile in 2020, without receiving an ITA in 2021 or 2022.
Step 3: Check the email you provided in your 2020 Interest to Sponsor form after October 13th 2023, for an ITA and further instructions. IRCC will continue sending these emails out for a two week period after the program opening date.
Step 4: If you receive an email from IRCC with an ITA, you must submit your application through the Permanent Residence Portal or Representative Permanent Residence Portal by the deadline stated in your invitation email.
https://www.canadavisa.com/parent-and-grandparent-sponsorship.html#collapse-qa-292285

To my understanding of the wording, it seems like the form submission hasn't been available since 2020 and we don't yet know when it will open again. Am I correct on this assumption? Or am I missing something?

Would love some clarification / confirmation on this please.

Thank you guys so much!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just bumping this. I hope this is okay, thank you guys!
There are still around 100k applications left from 2020 so nobody knows when EOI will open. Parent sponsorship is not guaranteed and the demand far exceeds the number of spots available. People should have a plan B for care in their home country.

AI_AI_AI

Jan 2, 2024
you are correct.
Thank you for confirmation.

There are still around 100k applications left from 2020 so nobody knows when EOI will open. Parent sponsorship is not guaranteed and the demand far exceeds the number of spots available. People should have a plan B for care in their home country.
Right, this is what I figured. Exactly the information I found online. Just wanted to confirm as my mom read somewhere (of course at this point she doesn't remember where) that you can apply in January 2024 and she wouldn't believe me. Ah, nonetheless can't help but love that woman lol.

Reactions: exquisite

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for confirmation.

Right, this is what I figured. Exactly the information I found online. Just wanted to confirm as my mom read somewhere (of course at this point she doesn't remember where) that you can apply in January 2024 and she wouldn't believe me. Ah, nonetheless can't help but love that woman lol.
The only thing that would apply to is for caregivers. She may have gotten confused. Would explain to your mother that sponsorship is not guaranteed and there is no timeline. Sadly the government doesn’t clarify this and if you just read the government websites you’d be under the impression that parents would be able to be sponsored after 3 years of meeting LICO. Would consider supervisa where your mother can visit for longer periods of time if she qualifies.

AI_AI_AI

Jan 2, 2024
The only thing that would apply to is for caregivers. She may have gotten confused. Would explain to your mother that sponsorship is not guaranteed and there is no timeline. Sadly the government doesn’t clarify this and if you just read the government websites you’d be under the impression that parents would be able to be sponsored after 3 years of meeting LICO. Would consider supervisa where your mother can visit for longer periods of time if she qualifies.
Thank you very much for clarification on this. I really appreciate your time and insight. Indeed might need to look for an alternative. Thankfully she does have supervisa so at least there is that.