+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGP 2020

Parisuzy

Feb 22, 2020
Hi,

I feel like there is still some confusion.

- Your parents most likely have a Super Visa granted for 10 years.

- They DO NOT need to apply for a NEW Super Visa until these 10 years are over.

- So if the 10 years are not over and your parents want to visit Canada, they can certainly do so based on their valid Super Visa.

- How long will they be allowed to stay all depends on the Border Officer. It’s usually 2 years for the first initial visit but a subsequent visit could be for another 2 years or maybe even 6 months or maybe even somewhere in between 6 months and 2 years.

- Let’s say your parents arrive and stay for a full 2 years (or 6 months) and they want to continue staying past these 2 years (or 6 months) without leaving Canada then you have to apply for a Visitor Record Extension from within Canada. Your parents continue staying in Canada on an implied status while a decision is reached for the visitor record extension application. Once granted, your parents can continue staying in Canada till the new expiry date on the visitor record document (which is most likely a year from the date of application in my experience).

- If the Super Visa has expired after it’s 10 years, apply for a new Super Visa.

I know this was heavily worded but I hope you have a better idea. Still happy to help if you need any more clarification.
Thank you so much @hotsalsa

It really helped! One last question.Let’s assume my parents arrive and stay for a full 2 years but left Canada. Now they want to come back. They used 2 years within 10 years. Then should I apply for new supervisa because they are outside or should I ask for extension because it is within 10 years? Many many thanks for your advice and guidance

Reactions: hotsalsa

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you so much @hotsalsa

It really helped! One last question.Let’s assume my parents arrive and stay for a full 2 years but left Canada. Now they want to come back. They used 2 years within 10 years. Then should I apply for new supervisa because they are outside or should I ask for extension because it is within 10 years? Many many thanks for your advice and guidance
You misunderstood how the visa works. They can stay up to 2 years at a time for each visit. (within the 10 years visa period)
Let's say they got visa for 2021 to 2031, they can visit for 2 years from 2021 to 2023 and then leave and then come back again and stay for example 2025 - 2027.
People who applied for extension are those who is about to stay passed 2 years and want to extend their stay in Canada without leaving.

Reactions: hotsalsa

Parisuzy

Feb 22, 2020
You misunderstood how the visa works. They can stay up to 2 years at a time for each visit. (within the 10 years visa period)
Let's say they got visa for 2021 to 2031, they can visit for 2 years from 2021 to 2023 and then leave and then come back again and stay for example 2025 - 2027.
People who applied for extension are those who is about to stay passed 2 years and want to extend their stay in Canada without leaving.
Thank you so much @YVR123 ! Now it makese sense:) By the way, is there any info about length of stay on CIC website? The way CIC stated made me misunderstood. Thank you so much again

Last edited:

Samy.K

Star Member
Aug 28, 2017

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My MP has already responded and said I raised some very valid points, and that she is aware that it is a flawed program.

The cost of long term care in Ontario is approx $32000 a year. Two parents and you have already passed the LICO. I'm not being elitist, I am being practical. I live in Ontario. Ontarians say that favouring the rich and wealthy is called Doug Ford, and they voted him in.

All totally moot points anyway, as the Gov will do what they want. The won't act on any petitions/ suggestions, it just helps to make those of us who are repeatedly losing out to people who chance a place in the draw and don't meet the LICO feel like we are doing something.

Also - I'm not a man!
Definitely agree that LICO needs to be raised. I’ve been posting about this for years on this forum. Disagree that after a certain amount of assets leads to children covering all their parents costs. I see families making over 200k/yr asking what free programs they can apply to for their parents from low income senior housing, subsidized/free dental, free eyewear, etc. All while also claiming their parent as a dependent on their taxes. Most of these low income senior programs need to be asking whether a senior was sponsored by a child and asked to submit the tax returns of the children who sponsored them so actual low income senior with no required financial support be passed over for a senior who is supposed to be financially supported by their child. Any senior who had lived and worked in Canada most or all of their lives would almost always be at a disadvantage compared to a sponsored parent who had never worked in Canada, may have assets outside Canada and even significant savings abroad but that would not appear on their Canadian tax return. The government should also be very clear about the expenses involved with sponsoring a parent or grandparent. Things like the monthly cost of a bed in LTC would not be affordable for most families. If they had 2 parents even less. That could easily be 1-1.5k/month minimum and often in a shared room plus extra costs like incontinence products, hygiene products, clothing, mobility devices, grooming, etc.

To be fair I have also seen a lot of the higher income families not caring for family members at home whereas many families who have lower family incomes often do opt to do caregiving at home (before talks of cost of LTC is brought up) which is very difficult so higher income does not always equate to less government spending on the sponsored parent’s healthcare. As long as the family income is high enough to be able to absorb a cost like LTC bed fee then how much income above a cut-off shouldn’t give a family priority.

Reactions: ravenous071

Asheikh

Jun 30, 2021
I can not link my application. My application was received on March 05, 2021. Still no update, neither can I link my application.

Can someone guide?

zzsnow7878

Star Member
Jul 16, 2019
Hello,

Thank you but for some reason, I am still not able to link my application, looks like it's still not touched by them yet.

My application was received in march when I checked on the Canada post tracking. Is there anyone whose application was received in March and who was able to link the application?

Thank you,
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/viewcasestatus.do
check this webiste first. if you can find you application in the webiste, then wait 3-4 days, then you can link your application in MYCIC