+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Petitioning CIC to improve inland processing time and grant Open Work Permit

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alurra71 said:
As to why they don't just give us owp immediately? What if our sponsor is in fact found ineligible but we have now started a job, begun integrating into society and all that good stuff, which is great for us but now without sponsor approval we've opened up a while new can of worms by either making us eligible for another stream that we did not qualify for to begin with or for h & c since we've already integrated so nicely.
The same thing happens now. You get AIP and OWP and some people end up getting rejected after that. They have to quit and go home.

The big issue is, the vast majority of cases are eligible cases, which means spouses who could begin integrating into society are prevented from doing so. They come to Canada to start a new life and the government puts them on hold for 6-12 months just because a small minority cases don't work out in the end?

The government should be doing everything it can get new residents integrated into Canadian life. Its benefits the whole country.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kafka khaos said:
The same thing happens now. You get AIP and OWP and some people end up getting rejected after that. They have to quit and go home.

The big issue is, the vast majority of cases are eligible cases, which means spouses who could begin integrating into society are prevented from doing so. They come to Canada to start a new life and the government puts them on hold for 6-12 months just because a small minority cases don't work out in the end?

The government should be doing everything it can get new residents integrated into Canadian life. Its benefits the whole country.
Because the vast majority will be approved and become permanent residents, delaying their right to work only hurts Canadian economy and inhumane to these Canadian families!!!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alurra71 said:
Or you could look at it this way. How do they know the sponsor is eligible until they look at the information provided? This same process either approves an eligible sponsor or rejects an ineligible sponsor. It is really like the chicken and egg question.

As to why they don't just give us owp immediately? What if our sponsor is in fact found ineligible but we have now started a job, begun integrating into society and all that good stuff, which is great for us but now without sponsor approval we've opened up a while new can of worms by either making us eligible for another stream that we did not qualify for to begin with or for h & c since we've already integrated so nicely.

These scenarios sound great for us but what about those that only have a choice for one application? Why should we be special just because we married a Canadian? I think you will find a lot of answers in just those simple thoughts.

Just my two cents worth.
A valid point indeed, however...

It doesn't much matter whether it's the chicken or the egg, since both will ultimately end up on someone's plate, right?

I think you will agree that the overwhelming majority of sponsors are approved, and therefore would have been eligible from the start, since the requirements are surprisingly simple. I, personally, don't feel that the handful of sponsors that are denied should be the reasoning for this OWP discussion.

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alurra71 said:
These scenarios sound great for us but what about those that only have a choice for one application? Why should we be special just because we married a Canadian? I think you will find a lot of answers in just those simple thoughts.
I don't even understand what this means. You married a Canadian so you should be allowed to live with him (barring some extreme case like criminal background). I think you do indeed have that right (or at least should have that right). And that is why you are given a PR. Spousal sponsorship has nothing to do with immigrating to Canada. Its not "one option of many" of how to immigrate to Canada. Its way for you to be with your spouse, which happens to be immigration. I know if my wife hadn't married me, Canada would be the absolute last place she would have ever immigrated too.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kafka khaos said:
I don't even understand what this means. You married a Canadian so you should be allowed to live with him (barring some extreme case like criminal background). I think you do indeed have that right (or at least should have that right). And that is why you are given a PR. Spousal sponsorship has nothing to do with immigrating to Canada. Its not "one option of many" of how to immigrate to Canada. Its way for you to be with your spouse, which happens to be immigration. I know if my wife hadn't married me, Canada would be the absolute last place she would have ever immigrated too.
CIC doesn't think that way. They think every applicant has main incentive to get PR because Canada is a paradise where people pick money from trees. Shame on the system.

automaton82

Aug 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V // CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2013
AOR Received.
28-01-2014
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
AIP 30-04-2015 // DM 06-05-2015
LANDED..........
19-05-2015 // PR card 28-08-2015
I'm very happy you made this petition.

While I strongly agree that the immigration system needs checks and balances to stop "bad immigration" (fake marriages, net negative uses of the system, etc.), the "system" they have in place is incredibly inefficient, and always punishes the most common case, which is loving partners/families who have to go through 1+ years of stress just to be together, and can't even work freely.

If private companies can find ways to do far more complicated tasks with less budget in a shorter time, then surely the CIC can too. Tax dollars aren't free, and our expectations for those working on tax-based salaries should be even higher than private sector employees.

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/05/12/canadas_immigration_system_undergoing_quiet_ugly_revolution.html

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
lellen said:
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2014/05/12/canadas_immigration_system_undergoing_quiet_ugly_revolution.html
The points based immigration system was a flawed system. Bringing over a lot of educated immigrants with no jobs waiting for them. What's the point of bringing over immigrants if Canada won't even recognized their university credits. You end up seeing a lot of doctors, engineers, driving cabs, janitorial work, etc. If Canada will not accept their education credentials, they should have not gotten points for it.

The immigration system had to be revamped to reflect actual job demands.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
The points based immigration system was a flawed system. Bringing over a lot of educated immigrants with no jobs waiting for them. What's the point of bringing over immigrants if Canada won't even recognized their university credits. You end up seeing a lot of doctors, engineers, driving cabs, janitorial work, etc. If Canada will not accept their education credentials, they should have not gotten points for it.

The immigration system had to be revamped to reflect actual job demands.
Or it should learn a lot from its brother - the USA. focus more on family sponsorships because these people have strong backup in Canada, make sponsors responsible for them. Allow spouses, parents, children, siblings to immigrate if Canadian family relatives are willing to cover full expenses to help them integrate. Right now Canada is importing people who may not have any prior experiences about Canada and their social benefits are funded by taxpayers. Canada thinks highly skilled worker will contribute more than sponsored immigrants. It's proven otherwise. Canadian politicians cannot be smarter than their counterparts in USA

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
civic said:
Or it should learn a lot from its brother - the USA. focus more on family sponsorships because these people have strong backup in Canada, make sponsors responsible for them. Allow spouses, parents, children, siblings to immigrate if Canadian family relatives are willing to cover full expenses to help them integrate. Right now Canada is importing people who may not have any prior experiences about Canada and their social benefits are funded by taxpayers. Canada thinks highly skilled worker will contribute more than sponsored immigrants. It's proven otherwise. Canadian politicians cannot be smarter than their counterparts in USA
I agree 100% with this. They should allow Canadian citizens and PRs to sponsor a sibling rather than the parents/grandparents. My grandparents are 80+ years old, they don't even know where Canada is on the map. My grandma would never leave her home to move to a different city, not to mention a different country with a different language.
My brother on the other hand, is well educated, well traveled, speaks 5 different languages and only 28 years old. He would contribute much more to Canada's economy than my grandparents or even my parents would.

I got an idea for a petition! CIC should give you the choice of who you want to sponsor. Either parents and grandparents or siblings. You can have one, but not both.

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
Avadava said:
I agree 100% with this. They should allow Canadian citizens and PRs to sponsor a sibling rather than the parents/grandparents. My grandparents are 80+ years old, they don't even know where Canada is on the map. My grandma would never leave her home to move to a different city, not to mention a different country with a different language.
My brother on the other hand, is well educated, well traveled, speaks 5 different languages and only 28 years old. He would contribute much more to Canada's economy than my grandparents or even my parents would.

I got an idea for a petition! CIC should give you the choice of who you want to sponsor. Either parents and grandparents or siblings. You can have one, but not both.
I think this is a terrific idea, even though I have no siblings LOL. But at the same time we have to realize that the parents and grandparents would be left all alone without family support back home, so really having 1 of the 2 is not an option.

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
sunshinemrc said:
I think this is a terrific idea, even though I have no siblings LOL. But at the same time we have to realize that the parents and grandparents would be left all alone without family support back home, so really having 1 of the 2 is not an option.
Well, I was mostly talking from my point of view and my specific situation. In my case, my parents are just years away from retirement, they own a house and have lots of family around (siblings, parents, nephews and nieces, etc.). They don't speak English and they would never come to live in Canada. It would be too much of a change for them and a big shock. They're just looking forward to retirement. And If my parents would move to Canada, wouldn't my only brother be left all alone with no close family around?

So in my situation, even if I can sponsor them, they don't want to. Not now and not ever. If I had the possibility to renounce the opportunity of sponsoring them in favor of my brother, I would do it.
And I bet there are others just like me, where maybe their only relative alive is a sibling and would love to sponsor them and be together in Canada.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One big difference between US and Canada is US usually keeps their promises to the people in immigration queues, 1 year, 5 year, 10 year, doesn't matter they will all be called, if qualified. Canada doesn't. Recent actions by CIC have shown how Canada can easily break its promises. Attitude towards immigrants is more negative here in Canada. The conservatives has ruined almost every good images left in CIC department. We hope to see changes from the other Canadian governments in future.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With all due respect (truly), if you don't like the system...why did you submit an Inland application?

Perhaps a shift of energy from negative to positive would be a good thing to consider. Be grateful for the opportunity and endure the `pain' of the process...the process that you chose.

When I applied, I knew the pitfalls for an Inland application, but even with the sudden stoppage in movement, the times are still faster than when I applied, so...I'm VERY grateful for that.

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
With all due respect (truly), if you don't like the system...why did you submit an Inland application?

Perhaps a shift of energy from negative to positive would be a good thing to consider. Be grateful for the opportunity and endure the `pain' of the process...the process that you chose.

When I applied, I knew the pitfalls for an Inland application, but even with the sudden stoppage in movement, the times are still faster than when I applied, so...I'm VERY grateful for that.
If we don't complain and fight and make a stink, things will never improve. But yes it should be done with a positive vibe that is about encouraging, helping and facilitating.