+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Petition to delay the C-24 enforcement date

bystander

Jul 14, 2014
Hey everyone,

What do you think about making a petition to the government to delay the enforcement of C-24 to January 1st 2016 in order to buy more time for people to apply?

Thanks.

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Personally I'd like to see it never come into effect, but the reality is this is something the cons wanted before the election, in order to gain popularity among many anti-immigration Canadians.

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bystander said:
Hey everyone,

What do you think about making a petition to the government to delay the enforcement of C-24 to January 1st 2016 in order to buy more time for people to apply?

Thanks.
Why January 2016? Seems quite an arbitrary date.

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
But seriously, this petition should be about applying the law only to the new PRs landed after the effective day (June 19th 2015 or whatever). Because here states the new law, and they have the right to decide whether or not to continue their PR application.

Just think about how unlucky is a guy who could've applied citizenship 1 day after the effective day.

bystander

Jul 14, 2014
No one is covering him/herself. This is the date that people mentioned in this forum. And, FYI, the petition for invalidation of the bill failed.

bystander

Jul 14, 2014
This is a better idea. That is something that makes more sense. How about this guys?

chelavnzuo said:
But seriously, this petition should be about applying the law only to the new PRs landed after the effective day (June 19th 2015 or whatever). Because here states the new law, and they have the right to decide whether or not to continue their PR application.

Just think about how unlucky is a guy who could've applied citizenship 1 day after the effective day.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bystander said:
This is a better idea. That is something that makes more sense. How about this guys?
How about you are wasting your time.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I tend to agree with the new law. Unfortunately for my wife, she will have to wait another 1.5 years in order to qualify for citizenship. I told her about waiting longer, her reply was "I don't care if I have to wait a little longer. I have all the same rights as Canadians here. So I can wait until I can qualify".

She brings up a good point. What's the hurry in applying for citizenship everyone? So what that you have a wait a little longer. The citizenship laws was way overdue for a change anyway.

All the citizenship really allow you to do is vote, run for government or work in high clearance jobs. That's pretty much about it.

For those who complain about the new rules of waiting longer, it seems to me that you want to get citizenship so you can skip out of Canada and come back when situation becomes an inconvenient such as country conflicts or requiring medical attention.

Otherwise, if that is not the case, why are you in a hurry? You are going to be here in Canada anyway. You will eventually become citizenship at some point just not after at least 2 year after landing PR. Just a little longer.

bystander

Jul 14, 2014
Here is my point of view, I am sure others can add to the list.

PRs don't have the same rights as citizens, you are not allowed to vote and that's huge.
second thing is that with the new law, the pre-PR time doesn't count, which defeats the purpose of the law which is naturalization of PRs before receiving citizenship. In this new law, if you were in canada before your PR for 5 years, you are the same as whoever comes in as a PR from abroad, which is against the purpose of this law.

screech339 said:
I tend to agree with the new law. Unfortunately for my wife, she will have to wait another 1.5 years in order to qualify for citizenship. I told her about waiting longer, her reply was "I don't care if I have to wait a little longer. I have all the same rights as Canadians here. So I can wait until I can qualify".

She brings up a good point. What's the hurry in applying for citizenship everyone? So what that you have a wait a little longer. The citizenship laws was way overdue for a change anyway.

All the citizenship really allow you to do is vote, run for government or work in high clearance jobs. That's pretty much about it.

For those who complain about the new rules of waiting longer, it seems to me that you want to get citizenship so you can skip out of Canada and come back when situation becomes an inconvenient such as country conflicts or requiring medical attention.

Otherwise, if that is not the case, why are you in a hurry? You are going to be here in Canada anyway. You will eventually become citizenship at some point just not after at least 2 year after landing PR. Just a little longer.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
bystander said:
Here is my point of view, I am sure others can add to the list.

PRs don't have the same rights as citizens, you are not allowed to vote and that's huge.
second thing is that with the new law, the pre-PR time doesn't count, which defeats the purpose of the law which is naturalization of PRs before receiving citizenship. In this new law, if you were in canada before your PR for 5 years, you are the same as whoever comes in as a PR from abroad, which is against the purpose of this law.
As for voting right, sure it is a big thing but not that big a deal as you think it is. Otherwise if it is really huge deal, the voter turnout would probably hover around 70-80% turnout. Nowadays it's around 40% or less.

You feel you are 2nd class because you can't vote. You mean you were denied a job because you can't vote? You lost charter protection because you can't vote? You don't have protection from job discrimination because you can't vote? Please don't give me the BS that you are second class all over voting rights? As far as I'm concerned you are no 2nd class.

As for defeating the purpose of naturalization for citizenship, you were either a visitor, a temporary worker or a temporary student. You were not staying on a permanent basis. The naturalization of PR to citizenship begins the moment you become PR which makes the most sense.

Under the new law, you are still getting it easy comparing to other countries requirements to get citizenship. US requires 5 years after Green card. European countries much longer. Not only the length of time to qualify is shorter, the cost to apply is still cheap compare to other countries. So be thankful that they didn't make it the same length of time as US or most European countries.

Screech339