+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Petition to add siblings to family category

neettaneja

Sep 6, 2021
Hello friends.

I have started this petition and ready to take it upto the highest level possible.

I need every Canadian and Permanent Resident to sign it and share it with your friends & families in Canada.

Please help fellow Canadians and lets get together and make it happen for us THE CANADIANS.

https://chng.it/sgFCrtzq2z

Last edited:
Reactions: need

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
There is already the 'Lonely Canadian' stream, where if you don't have any relatives in Canada and both of your parents are deceased, you can sponsor one relative with their spouse and children. Any more people would essentially make it a 'family-based chain migration' policy; something that not in-line with Canada's points-based system, especially with someone that has a large family.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello friends.

I have started this petition and ready to take it upto the highest level possible.

I need every Canadian and Permanent Resident to sign it and share it with your friends & families in Canada.

Please help fellow Canadians and lets get together and make it happen for us THE CANADIANS.

https://chng.it/sgFCrtzq2z
Sponsorship of siblings was previous allowed and it was fairly common for one sibling who was highly skilled, good English/French language skills, etc. to then sponsor the rest of the family who didn’t have the language skills, the education, etc. Siblings have the ability to work towards immigration to join their family members. Parent sponsorship is also not guaranteed so your argument that parents are able to join their children in Canada isn’t correct for a large number of Canadians. For those who don’t have any family members in Canada and whose parents and grandparents aren’t alive can apply for the lonely Canadian program to have one sibling and their immediate family come to Canada. It is highly unlikely that Canada will go back to a program (sibling sponsorship) that they got rid of because it wasn’t deemed beneficial.

Last edited:
Reactions: neettaneja

neettaneja

Sep 6, 2021
There is already the 'Lonely Canadian' stream, where if you don't have any relatives in Canada and both of your parents are deceased, you can sponsor one relative with their spouse and children. Any more people would essentially make it a 'family-based chain migration' policy; something that not in-line with Canada's points-based system, especially with someone that has a large family.
HI.

I am aware of this stream but its not fair. How many times you have seen this situation. Very rare... I have seen thousands of families that want to reunite with their siblings. This is not just for me. Its for all those brother's and sisters who want to reunite. We Canadians need this law now. Please show your support

neettaneja

Sep 6, 2021
Sponsorship of siblings was previous allowed and it was fairly common for one sibling who was highly skilled, bad good English/French language skills, etc. to then sponsor the rest of the family who didn’t have the language skills, the education, etc. Siblings have the ability to work towards immigration to join their family members. Parent sponsorship is also not guaranteed so your argument that parents are able to join their children in Canada isn’t correct for a large number of Canadians. For those who don’t have any family members in Canada and whose parents and grandparents aren’t alive can apply for the lonely Canadian program to have one sibling and their immediate family come to Canada. It is highly unlikely that Canada will go back to a program (sibling sponsorship) that they got rid of because it wasn’t deemed beneficial.
I agree with you about the sponship of parents but atleast there is a law. For siblings even visit visa is also not an option. I am here for last 20 years and have seen many sad stories where siblings couldn't be part of happy and sad moments because of Canadian Law.

I am happy that sponsorship of siblings was previously allowed. I wasn't aware of this. I am here for last 20 years but not seen this. Must be before that. could you please guide me with this. do you have anymore information on this where I can dig and when was it stopped. I am collecting all the information to support my petition.

I think its time that we Canadian's also stand up for this. Immigration office refuses even visit visas for siblings. I want to bring this change and have taken an oath that I will stand up for this now. You can understand that there must be story behind this and yes there is.

your help and support is needed.

Thanks

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
I agree with you about the sponship of parents but atleast there is a law. For siblings even visit visa is also not an option. I am here for last 20 years and have seen many sad stories where siblings couldn't be part of happy and sad moments because of Canadian Law.

I am happy that sponsorship of siblings was previously allowed. I wasn't aware of this. I am here for last 20 years but not seen this. Must be before that. could you please guide me with this. do you have anymore information on this where I can dig and when was it stopped. I am collecting all the information to support my petition.

I think its time that we Canadian's also stand up for this. Immigration office refuses even visit visas for siblings. I want to bring this change and have taken an oath that I will stand up for this now. You can understand that there must be story behind this and yes there is.

Thanks
You made a choice to come here 20yrs ago.
Air travel is fairly common ( without covid ) and surely it's not difficult for you to book flights and visit siblings.

What benefit to Canada is there for sibling sponsorship?

Reactions: rt865

neettaneja

Sep 6, 2021
You made a choice to come here 20yrs ago.
Air travel is fairly common ( without covid ) and surely it's not difficult for you to book flights and visit siblings.

What benefit to Canada is there for sibling sponsorship?

It's very easy for you to say this book a flight and go. Wear the shoes of those people who actually have to do that. Have lost siblings/family members but were not able to see for one last time. saying with peace in mind.

It's not always what's in it for me. Sometimes its for humanity too...

a humble request to everyone..
But if you don't agree please don't sign it but don't try to see what's in it for me.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think once you are married, you start a new family. Your spouse, your children...etc.
I disagree to consider siblings as "immediate family" and as it's not commonly considered that way in Canada. e.g. if someone said bring your family, they don't mean your siblings and their kids.

If siblings are allowed to be sponsored as part of the family, then the calculation of points for immigration, medical exams, crimial check...etc should include all applicant's siblings as well. In that case, approval of 1 person with high skill means 10 or 20 people as part of that person's family.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018

Thanks
Hi there - it was called the Assisted Relative Class and existed under the previous 1976 Act. If you're going to lean on the previous program for some sort of re-institution of a similar program then tread carefully because it was considered a miserable failure and it was ended.

Reactions: canuck78

neettaneja

Sep 6, 2021
I think once you are married, you start a new family. Your spouse, your children...etc.
I disagree to consider siblings as "immediate family" and as it's not commonly considered that way in Canada. e.g. if someone said bring your family, they don't mean your siblings and their kids.

If siblings are allowed to be sponsored as part of the family, then the calculation of points for immigration, medical exams, crimial check...etc should include all applicant's siblings as well. In that case, approval of 1 person with high skill means 10 or 20 people as part of that person's family.
Who is saying not to do medical exams, criminal check etc.. infact keep a education standard too upto high school or university.

We all come from different cultures and background and as per our upbringing siblings are immediate family.

I have seen people here where wife and children leave you behind for other people and siblings come to hold your hand in your worst days of live.

half of the marriages end up in divorce in Canada.

Sibling also ease loneliness later in life.

· Research shows spending time with a loved one can help beat stress, and experts say siblings especially can help protect you from the negative effects of stress

Again its my opinion and what I have seen around me.

YOu have your own point of view and I have my own. I am sure there are lot of people who will agree to this petition.

Since s. 3 of the Immigration Act makes it clear that one of the primary goals of our immigration scheme is to encourage the reunification of families, what better way to ensure that our population does not decrease to economically dangerous levels in the coming decades than to take this goal seriously? A global and humane definition of the family, in keeping with the models of "family" that exist in the cultures from which Canada draws immigrants would satisfy Canada's constitutional, sociological
and economic needs. More importantly, it would do an effective and honest job of reuniting families.

Last edited:

neettaneja

Sep 6, 2021
Hi there - it was called the Assisted Relative Class and existed under the previous 1976 Act. If you're going to lean on the previous program for some sort of re-institution of a similar program then tread carefully because it was considered a miserable failure and it was ended.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about this act. I am going to research on it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Who is saying not to do medical exams, criminal check etc.. infact keep a education standard too upto high school or university.

We all come from different cultures and background and as per our upbringing siblings are immediate family.

I have seen people here where wife and children leave you behind for other people and siblings come to hold your hand in your worst days of live.

half of the marriages end up in divorce in Canada.

Sibling also ease loneliness later in life.

· Research shows spending time with a loved one can help beat stress, and experts say siblings especially can help protect you from the negative effects of stress

Again its my opinion and what I have seen around me.

YOu have your own point of view and I have my own. I am sure there are lot of people who will agree to this petition.

Since s. 3 of the Immigration Act makes it clear that one of the primary goals of our immigration scheme is to encourage the reunification of families, what better way to ensure that our population does not decrease to economically dangerous levels in the coming decades than to take this goal seriously? A global and humane definition of the family, in keeping with the models of "family" that exist in the cultures from which Canada draws immigrants would satisfy Canada's constitutional, sociological
and economic needs. More importantly, it would do an effective and honest job of reuniting families.
Family reunification means spouse and children as per the definition. Adult siblings is considered extended family. As previously noted the previous sibling sponsorship was a big failure. Canada ended up with large extended families with only one member who was highly educated and and had good English or French language skills. Nothing is stopping siblings from working towards various immigration pathways in Canada. There are even some provinces that incentives Sibling sponsorship as long as they all remain in that province. There are many siblings that all immigrate to Canada but they each have to qualify on their own.

neettaneja

Sep 6, 2021
I am surprised to see that Canadians are lacking compassion here. I thought Canadians welcome everyone with open arms. So sorry that there is no compassion. Everyone is talking by the book and what the law is right now. But not recognizing the need of it.