+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Personal identification

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
The new guide is confusing. Under the passport, it says
  • [*]if you didn’t have a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 2 pieces of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
    [*]if you had a passport in the past 5 years:
    • photocopies of 1 piece of government issued identification with your name, date of birth and photograph
Does this mean, we need to provide another government id from our country?
  • later under the language it says
Photocopy of personal identification

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
The new guide is confusing. Under the passport, it says
Does this mean, we need to provide another government id from our country?
  • later under the language it says
If your passport was in the last five years provide:
- your passport of course (as stated in the list)
- one piece of government issued photo ID that should be, if possible Canadian (drivers licence, health card with photo, ...)

If your passport was not valid in the last five years
- still provide it as usual
- but provide two such pieces of government issued photo ID

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
- one piece of government issued photo ID that should be, if possible Canadian (drivers licence, health card with photo, ...)

Thanks spyfy, I'm just wondering why they wrote about ID in two separate places, the first under the passport paragraph and later under the language paragraph.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks spyfy, I'm just wondering why they wrote about ID in two separate places, the first under the passport paragraph and later under the language paragraph.
Yeah that is just them doing a crappy job with the guide I would say. Just like how they left the CoPR in the guide although it wasn't needed anymore.

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
Yeah that is just them doing a crappy job with the guide I would say. Just like how they left the CoPR in the guide although it wasn't needed anymore.
Thanks! I think they fixed that part, there is no mention to any immigration documents in the guide now.

Reactions: jsm0085

duplex

Sep 3, 2012

The new requirement indicates that other than passport photocopies one just need one or up to two IDs. In their application.

However, I've noticed that most people use driver's license or health card. Some will add PR card as a third ID. Myself just used PR card as one piece of ID, should be OK?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
The new requirement indicates that other than passport photocopies one just need one or up to two IDs. In their application.

However, I've noticed that most people use driver's license or health card. Some will add PR card as a third ID. Myself just used PR card as one piece of ID, should be OK?
The PR card is a piece of ID, yes.

guddylover

Dec 31, 2016
I just noticed they have taken the COPR or PRC off of the list of document to submit. Anyway, I sent in another copy of my passport and health card as personal ID, plus I included copies of my PRC. I hope that is all they need. They really did a bad job with the forms. Thanks

chacha91

Jun 27, 2016
I just applied to renew my PR card, so the current one that I have is not valid. Should I still include a copy of it?
I have also included a copy of my health card and the travel documents' copies for the last 5 years. Would that be enough?

InnaBB

Jul 11, 2017
I just applied to renew my PR card, so the current one that I have is not valid. Should I still include a copy of it?
I have also included a copy of my health card and the travel documents' copies for the last 5 years. Would that be enough?
I have the same question. PR is expiring in 1 month after my citizenship application submission. Do I need to submit a copy of my PR card? (I'm submitting my passport copy and my health card copy).

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Please read the document checklist carefully. You don't need to submit your PR card. Regarding possible ID documents (for which the PR card CAN be used), see above.

Note that there have been a small number of reports where a PRC was not accepted as one of the ID documents, but that was most likely due to the case worker not being aware of the new rules.

Independent of the question if you need to submit your PR card, you should file a PR card renewal. Your citizenship application might take up to one year and without a PR card you can't travel back to Canada.

InnaBB

Jul 11, 2017
Please read the document checklist carefully. You don't need to submit your PR card. Regarding possible ID documents (for which the PR card CAN be used), see above.

Note that there have been a small number of reports where a PRC was not accepted as one of the ID documents, but that was most likely due to the case worker not being aware of the new rules.

Independent of the question if you need to submit your PR card, you should file a PR card renewal. Your citizenship application might take up to one year and without a PR card you can't travel back to Canada.
Thank you for your response. I've submitted PR card renewal already.

yezdi_in

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-10-2010
AOR Received.
12-01-2011
Med's Request
18-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-08-2013
Passport Req..
18-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2013
LANDED..........
08-05-2014
Somehow I was under the strong impression that we have to submit copy of PR card / COPR alongwith the application. Now I am not seeing both of these among required documents list in both the checklist and guide. I don't know whether it was removed or it was my wrong impression some how.

From many threads here, I understand COPR is not at all required now.

1) I have Passport, Driving Licence and Ontario Health Card. What I understand from these threads is that if I send these documents, I don't have to send PR card also. Am I right? Please confirm.

2) The instruction guide talks about Passport plus one photo ID, or two photo IDs. Again it list another item called "photo copy of personal identification "- what is this one?

For me to ensure, can someone please confirm this.