+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanently Importing a Temporarily Imported Car from US to Canada

sidg

Feb 20, 2020
Hi,

I moved to Vancouver last year on work permit. At that time, I had temporarily imported the car which did not require export form US. I have received my CoPR recently and plan to complete the US export and Permanent import of the car in Canada. I had to submit my US title to ICBC while temporarily importing the car. I was wondering whether anybody has experience in exporting a car from US which was temporarily imported in Canada before? Can a certified copy of the US title or Canadian Registration be used as a substitute for the original US title during US export at the US side of the border? If not, what are the options? Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
sidg

Meinik2

Sep 14, 2019
Hi,

I moved to Vancouver last year on work permit. At that time, I had temporarily imported the car which did not require export form US. I have received my CoPR recently and plan to complete the US export and Permanent import of the car in Canada. I had to submit my US title to ICBC while temporarily importing the car. I was wondering whether anybody has experience in exporting a car from US which was temporarily imported in Canada before? Can a certified copy of the US title or Canadian Registration be used as a substitute for the original US title during US export at the US side of the border? If not, what are the options? Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
sidg
Hi, were you able to import your car? I'm planning on doing a temporary import but I don't wanna get stuck in a bad situation with the car. Would you mind sharing your experience?

arnabnag

Mar 8, 2019
Hi, were you able to import your car? I'm planning on doing a temporary import but I don't wanna get stuck in a bad situation with the car. Would you mind sharing your experience?
Can you share your experience if you have completed the process ?

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
*** IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ CAREFULLY***

• I moved from US to Canada in 2018 on WP and had temporarily imported my car(no duties and no export from USA)
  • Got my PR in 2021
  • Wanted to sell my car but temporary Imported cars can not be sold
  • This week I went to the customs office (same one where I had done the temporary import) and explained my situation and gave them following documents
    • Original Form 1
    • Car registration document (Canadian)
    • Copy of PR card
  • The office understood and told me he would issue a new Form 1 and remove all holds on my car
  • He gave me a new Form 1 and also a Receipt which shows the value of the car and any taxes or fee and that this car can be sold in Canada
    • I paid zero fees :) Not for the process and not for the car to be permanently imported.
I hope this helps others as I was really on a fix on what to do with this car which I was now stuck with and all it took was a simple visit and 15 minutes. All the best.