+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident travel document

sham_visa

Jun 23, 2015
My family member(wife) is currently in Canada, with permanent resident status, but her PR card is expired.

She wants to travel outside Canada for two months.

She cannot come back to Canada, if she has no valid PR card.

What is the process for PRstatus holder to travel outside Canada, without a PR Card?

ankitagoyal

Star Member
May 20, 2017
Vancouver
My family member(wife) is currently in Canada, with permanent resident status, but her PR card is expired.

She wants to travel outside Canada for two months.

She cannot come back to Canada, if she has no valid PR card.

What is the process for PRstatus holder to travel outside Canada, without a PR Card?
She can travel outside Canada with the expired PR Card. However, to enter Canada, she needs PRTD. A travel document is normally only valid for one single entry. She should apply for a new PR card as soon as she resumes residence in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html#outsidecanada

You need a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to travel to Canada by commercial vehicle (for example, airplane, bus, train or boat).

If your PR card is expired or about to expire
If it’s expired or will expire when you’re travelling, renew your PR card before you leave. You can only renew your card in Canada.

You may be eligible for urgent processing of your PR card.

If you don’t get your new PR card in time, you must

If you’re already outside Canada without a valid PR card
If you’re outside Canada and your PR card is expired, you need to apply for a PRTD to return.

Normally, you apply for a PRTD at a visa application centre (VAC). Due to COVID-19, many VACs are closed. Before you go to apply, check if your VAC is open and accepts PRTD applications.

If your VAC is open
If your VAC is open and accepting applications, find out how to apply for a PRTD.

If your VAC is closed
If your VAC is closed, submit your PRTD application by email.

To submit by email:

1. Download and follow the instruction guide to complete the application correctly.
  2. Make electronic copies (scans) of the required documents listed in the Document Checklist (PDF, 1.5 MB).
  3. Complete and scan the Application for a Permanent Resident Travel Document [IMM 5524] form.
  4. Pay your fees and get a copy of your receipt.
  5. If you have it, get a copy of your confirmed flight ticket, or the itinerary for your travel to Canada. Your copies should clearly show
    • your flight number
    • date of travel
    • arrival airport in Canada
  6. Send an email to IRCC.COVIDPRTD-TVRPCOVID.IRCC@cic.gc.cathat includes
    • the subject line: “PRTD application: [put your name here]
    • your scanned application
    • copies of your supporting documents (including travel information)
    • a copy of your receipt

gill_vinny

Jun 29, 2020
If she isn't compliant with her RO she can be denied the PRTD
I am dealing with the same problem.. so my husband is in India and he got his COPR in July 2020 and haven't received his initial PR card yet and he wants to enter Canada and we were thinking of applying for PRTD.. is there a chance that he will be denied because he was only in Canada for about a month?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am dealing with the same problem.. so my husband is in India and he got his COPR in July 2020 and haven't received his initial PR card yet and he wants to enter Canada and we were thinking of applying for PRTD.. is there a chance that he will be denied because he was only in Canada for about a month?
No because he is compliant with his RO if he only landed this summer

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

heniswan

Jan 6, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have some questions on obtaining PRTD from India. I am currently in Canada and will be traveling to India end of this month. I am a PR, however I don't have my PR card yet. I need to obtain the PRTD to fly back to Canada. My return would be tentatively during March 1st week (Yet to book return flight)

1. What would be the ideal processing time for the PRTD?
2. Can I still apply via email? If yes, how to send the passport and photos?
3. Is a return ticket mandatory while applying for PRTD? If I have one does it increase the possibility of getting it quicker?

Any other suggestions to make the process easier from my end? Thank you so much. I appreciate your time in reading my post.

coprwaitisover

Star Member
Jan 11, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have some questions on obtaining PRTD from India. I am currently in Canada and will be traveling to India end of this month. I am a PR, however I don't have my PR card yet. I need to obtain the PRTD to fly back to Canada. My return would be tentatively during March 1st week (Yet to book return flight)

3. Is a return ticket mandatory while applying for PRTD? If I have one does it increase the possibility of getting it quicker?

Any other suggestions to make the process easier from my end? Thank you so much. I appreciate your time in reading my post.
did you get any help on this? I am in similar situation and need to understand this before booking tickets.

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
Hello everyone,

Is there any requirement to complete some minimum number of days as PR to apply for a PRTD?

My travel plan is tentative, but looking at current timeline and uncertainty about receiving PR card soon, I am planning to go via this route.

@coprwaitisover - You may also comment :)

Laiba.r

Jan 18, 2021
Is there any requirement to complete some minimum number of days as PR to apply for a PRTD?

My travel plan is tentative, but looking at current timeline and uncertainty about receiving PR card soon, I am planning to go via this route.

@coprwaitisover - You may also comment :)
To be eligible for prtd 730 something days are required