+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident travel document

shashi_b

Jan 4, 2021
Thanks!

It says the following :

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

Not sure what proof they will need evaluate the above.

For sure, the PR who left Canada immediately after becoming PR and having spent more than 3 year outside Canada, could not meet the above.

Laiba.r

Jan 18, 2021
Thanks!

It says the following :

you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

For sure, the PR who left Canada immediately after becoming PR and having spent more than 3 year outside Canada, could not meet the above.
Then choose the other option if you don’t meet the criteria there are other options too on that same link. Like have you accompanied another Canadian citizen or pr?

Bafnamit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Thanks!

It says the following :

I am also planning to go to India and apply for PRTD. In my COPR it is mention if you want to leave canada before your PR card is received then you have to apply for PRTD. So I guess if just spend few days in canada after we receive COPR then it's understood that we will meet 730 days in next 5 yrs as we have job , bank account etc and PRTD is valid for only 6 months so once they give PRTD we will travel in within 6 months .

Anyone who have got PRTD and have only spend few days in canada as PR please advice.

coprwaitisover

Star Member
Jan 11, 2021
Did you received PRTD approved ? if yes can you please advice how long it took to get it approved?
No, i am still in Canada and yet to plan India trip. Checking all the means to make sure that I get PRTD to come back to Canada as there is no update on PR card yet.

gill_vinny

Jun 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have some questions on obtaining PRTD from India. I am currently in Canada and will be traveling to India end of this month. I am a PR, however I don't have my PR card yet. I need to obtain the PRTD to fly back to Canada. My return would be tentatively during March 1st week (Yet to book return flight)

1. What would be the ideal processing time for the PRTD?
2. Can I still apply via email? If yes, how to send the passport and photos?
3. Is a return ticket mandatory while applying for PRTD? If I have one does it increase the possibility of getting it quicker?

Any other suggestions to make the process easier from my end? Thank you so much. I appreciate your time in reading my post.
Hi,
I applied for a PRTD and I received for passport submission after about one week. I have submitted my passport but haven't received it yet (only been about 3 days)
Yes you can apply via email. Scan the passport and photos and attach as pdfs along with the email.
Return ticket is not mandatory while applying for PRTD. It does NOT however affect the processing times.

gill_vinny

Jun 29, 2020
did you get any help on this? I am in similar situation and need to understand this before booking tickets.
Hi,
I applied for a PRTD and I received for passport submission after about one week. I have submitted my passport but haven't received it yet (only been about 3 days)
Yes you can apply via email. Scan the passport and photos and attach as pdfs along with the email.
Return ticket is not mandatory while applying for PRTD. It does NOT however affect the processing times.

gill_vinny

Jun 29, 2020
I am also planning to go to India and apply for PRTD. In my COPR it is mention if you want to leave canada before your PR card is received then you have to apply for PRTD. So I guess if just spend few days in canada after we receive COPR then it's understood that we will meet 730 days in next 5 yrs as we have job , bank account etc and PRTD is valid for only 6 months so once they give PRTD we will travel in within 6 months .

Anyone who have got PRTD and have only spend few days in canada as PR please advice.
You don't need to complete 730 days if you became a PR just a few months ago.
I applied for a PRTD having only spent one month in Canada and it got approved.

Reactions: Bafnamit

Hanataha

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have some questions on obtaining PRTD from India. I am currently in Canada and will be traveling to India end of this month. I am a PR, however I don't have my PR card yet. I need to obtain the PRTD to fly back to Canada. My return would be tentatively during March 1st week (Yet to book return flight)

1. What would be the ideal processing time for the PRTD?
2. Can I still apply via email? If yes, how to send the passport and photos?
3. Is a return ticket mandatory while applying for PRTD? If I have one does it increase the possibility of getting it quicker?

Any other suggestions to make the process easier from my end? Thank you so much. I appreciate your time in reading my post.
Hi, I applied PRTD in Abu Dhabi. I'm a UAE resident. I applied in September 2020 and after 1 week I got an approval and they requested for my passport for stamping.
I included a cover letter requesting for multiple entries and they gave me 1 year.
I didn't include flight tickets.
But I mentioned in my cover letter that I was supposed to travel to Canada to renew my PR card in March 2020 (it expired April 2020) and I included my ticket itinerary but due to covid, I had to postpone my trip.

Hanataha

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021

Hi, I did my landing in March 2015. Stayed in Canada for 8 months and went back to my home country.
I accompanied my Canadian husband from 2018 until now, with few trips in my home country. My PR got expired in March.

I applied PRTD in Abu Dhabi. I'm a UAE resident. I applied in September 2020 and after 1 week I got an approval and they requested for my passport for stamping.
I included a cover letter requesting for multiple entries and they gave me 1 year.
But I mentioned in my cover letter that I was supposed to travel to Canada to renew my PR card in March 2020 (it expired April 2020) and I included my ticket itinerary but due to covid, I had to postpone my trip.

DODGE1981

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hi, I did my landing in March 2015. Stayed in Canada for 8 months and went back to my home country.
I accompanied my Canadian husband from 2018 until now, with few trips in my home country. My PR got expired in March.

I applied PRTD in Abu Dhabi. I'm a UAE resident. I applied in September 2020 and after 1 week I got an approval and they requested for my passport for stamping.
Hi, is there easy to ask for extension for PRTD with multiple entries, because in normal cases it is about up to 6 months only and with single entry, and you know on the case i cannot travel within the 6 months can i ask for extra 6 months