+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Travel Document

Hughpc

Aug 29, 2012
I am a Canadian citizen and my wife has her PR. We are presently living abroad and have been for 6 years. My wife's PR expired in 2017 and we are getting a PRTD to enter Canada on holiday. I have all support documents (official cohabitation records, my employment contracts, marriage certificate, passports) BUT I don't have my expired passport. Can't find it anywhere. That is one of few documents they deem 'mandatory' on the checklist. Good news is my current passport was issued in mid 2016 so we have over 1200 days documented with this passport - far more if they consider the residency documents. Clearly over the 730 days.

My question: Will they just count the days from my current passport and issue the PRTD or will they refuse application outright because I haven't provided my expired passport (required travel documentation from the last 5 years)?

In truth, I'm getting the runaround from the various official bodies - the Visa Application Centre (third party) says they are not allowed to give me any information on documentation. Immigration at the embassy keeps sending me to links on the CIC website without directly answering my questions. Very frustrating.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a Canadian citizen and my wife has her PR. We are presently living abroad and have been for 6 years. My wife's PR expired in 2017 and we are getting a PRTD to enter Canada on holiday. I have all support documents (official cohabitation records, my employment contracts, marriage certificate, passports) BUT I don't have my expired passport. Can't find it anywhere. That is one of few documents they deem 'mandatory' on the checklist. Good news is my current passport was issued in mid 2016 so we have over 1200 days documented with this passport - far more if they consider the residency documents. Clearly over the 730 days.

My question: Will they just count the days from my current passport and issue the PRTD or will they refuse application outright because I haven't provided my expired passport (required travel documentation from the last 5 years)?

In truth, I'm getting the runaround from the various official bodies - the Visa Application Centre (third party) says they are not allowed to give me any information on documentation. Immigration at the embassy keeps sending me to links on the CIC website without directly answering my questions. Very frustrating.
Should be fine. Include a letter of explanation about what happened to the last passport.