+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Travel Document

knd27

Aug 15, 2018
I need some clarification as I've seen conflicting information.

I am a US Citizen, living in Canada for 6 years now. Unfortunately I did not realize my pr card had expired last year and I have applied for a renewal. Unfortunately, I had already booked a trip back to the states and my card will not be back by the time we leave.

I'm aware I could apply for a PRTD, but have seen multiple posts that states it could take weeks-months to process and I only have 8 days.

I have also seen I may not require a PRTD as US citizens only need a passport to cross the border.

So my questions:

1. Do I need to apply for a PRTD?
2. Does anyone have experience applying for one at the Los Angeles VAC they could share?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

I am a US Citizen, living in Canada for 6 years now. Unfortunately I did not realize my pr card had expired last year and I have applied for a renewal. Unfortunately, I had already booked a trip back to the states and my card will not be back by the time we leave.

I'm aware I could apply for a PRTD, but have seen multiple posts that states it could take weeks-months to process and I only have 8 days.

I have also seen I may not require a PRTD as US citizens only need a passport to cross the border.

So my questions:

2. Does anyone have experience applying for one at the Los Angeles VAC they could share?
You don't need a PRTD as you can board an aircraft on the basis of your US passport alone. The PRTD is a travel document for boarding commercial transportation and is not required anyway for private transportation to/over the land border.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017

So my questions:

1.- as a Canadian PR you need your valid PR Card or ask for a PRTD, even if you are US citizen
2.- call Los Angeles VAC

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
1.- as a Canadian PR you need your valid PR Card or ask for a PRTD, even if you are US citizen
2.- call Los Angeles VAC
You don't need to declare your PR status to the airline. You don't need to present a PR card to CBSA as long as you can identify yourself as a Permanent Resident by other means.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=16.7

I am an American citizen. What do I need to enter Canada?
American citizens, including American-Canadian citizens, must carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada. You do not need a Canadian passport, a Canadian visa or an eTA to enter Canada if you are travelling with a valid U.S. passport.

Faisaldawari

Aug 14, 2018
need some clarification as I've seen conflicting information.

So my questions:

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
You don't need to declare your PR status to the airline. You don't need to present a PR card to CBSA as long as you can identify yourself as a Permanent Resident by other means.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=16.7

I am an American citizen. What do I need to enter Canada?
American citizens, including American-Canadian citizens, must carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada. You do not need a Canadian passport, a Canadian visa or an eTA to enter Canada if you are travelling with a valid U.S. passport.
You are right, but the person is Canadian Permanent Resident, so s/he needs valid Canadian document to enter to Canada.
As a US citizen s/he can enter to Canada just for a mx 6 month and s/he could be in trouble at the Canadian border, It might not meet the law requirements.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-us-citizen-enter-canada-with-expired-pr-card-thats-in-process-of-renewing.482809/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-citizen-and-canadian-pr-card-holder-entering-canada-by-car.453167/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-citizen-with-canada-pr-card-travel-back-and-forth.396831/

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Did you actually read those threads in full? If you also read what I wrote, I covered that topic. "You don't need to present a PR card to CBSA as long as you can identify yourself as a Permanent Resident by other means." That includes a COPR, expired PR card, driving licence etc etc. Essentially anything that CBSA can use to identify the OP as a Permanent Resident.
Then, as a PR, the OP has the right to enter, and remain in, Canada. This supersedes the US citizen limitations.

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
Did you actually read those threads in full? If you also read what I wrote, I covered that topic. "You don't need to present a PR card to CBSA as long as you can identify yourself as a Permanent Resident by other means." That includes a COPR, expired PR card, driving licence etc etc. Essentially anything that CBSA can use to identify the OP as a Permanent Resident.
Then, as a PR, the OP has the right to enter, and remain in, Canada. This supersedes the US citizen limitations.
Yes I DID, Oui, Si
thanks
merci pour votre intérêt
gracias