+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident travel Document?

Col3290

Apr 20, 2017
Hello everyone,

I Am now a permanent Resident as of May 2018. I still have yet to receive my PR card in the mail and I am due to go on my honeymoon next week. I have been told that I need a permanent resident travel document in order to return to Canada.

I have a few questions about the whole process;
1, it says in several places that I can not apply for this from within Canada, So am i to understand that I have to apply from my honeymoon destination?
2, I am only there for 10 days, is that enough time to get the authorization and to be allowed to return to Canada?
3, It says i have to mail the application? That seems sketchy and sounds like i'm going to be stuck in Europe somewhere..
4, is there not a shorter term version of this application? I've looked it over and it seems quite detailed for such a short trip.
5, its been over 90 days since my PR was issued to me, should i be waiting much longer for a PR card?

I'm starting to get a little nervous now as to one, weather or not I should even leave Canada or two am I gonna be able to get back to my home and family if I leave.

Thanks in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I Am now a permanent Resident as of May 2018. I still have yet to receive my PR card in the mail and I am due to go on my honeymoon next week. I have been told that I need a permanent resident travel document in order to return to Canada.

I have a few questions about the whole process;
1, it says in several places that I can not apply for this from within Canada, So am i to understand that I have to apply from my honeymoon destination?
2, I am only there for 10 days, is that enough time to get the authorization and to be allowed to return to Canada?
3, It says i have to mail the application? That seems sketchy and sounds like i'm going to be stuck in Europe somewhere..
4, is there not a shorter term version of this application? I've looked it over and it seems quite detailed for such a short trip.
5, its been over 90 days since my PR was issued to me, should i be waiting much longer for a PR card?

I'm starting to get a little nervous now as to one, weather or not I should even leave Canada or two am I gonna be able to get back to my home and family if I leave.

Thanks in advance
Hi

1. Yes, you have to apply once you are actually outside of Canada.

2. Probably not. It generally takes a few weeks.

3. Yes. Some people have reported being able to do it in person but no guarantee you would be able to.

4. No.

5. Current processing time is 62 days plus mailing, so you probably should have received it by now. You can call to ask about the status.

You will not be allowed to board a plane to Canada without a valid PR card or PRTD. You should really look ino changing your return flight to a border city in the US, as you can cross into Canada by land without a PR card or PRTD.

Nene Zim 17

Star Member
Jul 11, 2017
Hi I landed in Canada on the 21st of January 2019, my Dad passed away on the 13th of February 2019 and I plan to travel to my home country for the burial tomorrow. Am I eligible for a PRTD since I have only been in the country for three weeks and obviously my PR card is not out yet?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Hi I landed in Canada on the 21st of January 2019, my Dad passed away on the 13th of February 2019 and I plan to travel to my home country for the burial tomorrow. Am I eligible for a PRTD since I have only been in the country for three weeks and obviously my PR card is not out yet?
Yes