Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
This thread is for all of those who are applying for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. This is required if you need to travel back to Canada and do not yet have your PR card (and you are a citizen of a visa required country).

Just wanted to give an update. We had applied for a PR Travel Document (as my husband had not yet received his PR card) on May 22 through the VAC in Dubai and was told the processing time was 15 days. My husband has since received his PR card and so he contacted the VAC to request his passports back from the embassy (we thought it would speed up the processing time by submitting them with the application which is an option). He received them back Jun 18.

So if you have a need to travel with a PRTD I suggest you apply well in advance. Has anyone else applied for and received PRTD through ADVO? or any other VO?

Take care,

C.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Hey all...just wanted to share our story for some insight...

On May 19 when I had found out that my mother had collapsed due to massive stroke I made travel plans to fly back to Canada to say goodbye. My husband who had landed in Canada Apr 1 then submitted an application for a PRTD on May 22. We wrote the embassy to see if processing could be expedited due to the circumstances but they responded that they could not. At the time, I remember the posted processing time being about 15 days.

After I came back from Canada, my husband went to VFS to request the application be cancelled and return of his passport (we submitted it at the same time in hopes it would help speed things up). A few days later the passport came back and we thought nothing more.

Yesterday (Sept 6) he received an email from VFS UAE to submit his passport. It only contained a reference number in the subject line and said he had 30 days to submit the requested documents.

I called VFS today to find out what happened. Yes - the PPR was for the PRTD (processing time of 110 days)....and she said that if we wanted to cancel the application, we needed to send a form to the embassy. Why they didn't provide that to us when he first requested the cancellation, I don't know. There is also nothing in the guide for completing a PRTD submission to cancel the application.

FYI...

C.

MNM2015

Sep 25, 2015
110 days for a PRTD that's ridiculous! Shortly after my husband lands we are planning a trip back to his country as it's been awhile since he's been home. However we would only be there 3 weeks to a month at most. There's no way we can go if there is a chance he won't get the PRTD in time. So frustrating especially with all the delays in getting PR cards. They are effectively trapping people in Canada until they get their PR card, which would be ok if they came quickly and on time. It's extra annoying because my husband is visa exempt so would have no issue if it wasn't for the new ETA requirement.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
Do you need a PRTD if you're from a visa-exempt country? I was told as a visa-exempt US citizen, while I'm waiting for my PR card, I don't need anything for re-entry except my CoPD. That PRTD's are only for countries that aren't visa-exempt?

I guess I don't need an eTA either...

MNM2015

Sep 25, 2015
My understanding is the only exception is for US citizens. All other visa exempt travelers need to get an ETA which you cannot get once you land as a PR. If this is not correct please advise.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
MNM2015 said:
My understanding is the only exception is for US citizens. All other visa exempt travelers need to get an ETA which you cannot get once you land as a PR. If this is not correct please advise.
According to CIC Guide 5529, there are NO exceptions anymore. ALL permanent residents need either a PR card, or PRTD counterfoil in their passport, to enter Canada.

Good thing to know!

MNM2015

Sep 25, 2015
Omegabyte said:
According to CIC Guide 5529, there are NO exceptions anymore. ALL permanent residents need either a PR card, or PRTD counterfoil in their passport, to enter Canada.

Good thing to know!
That is the official guidance but I still think US citizens can travel without it as long as they say they are just a visitor if the airline asks since they don't need an ETA to travel to Canada.

mia1588

Star Member
Jul 25, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
17-05-2019
Med's Request
09-10-2019
Med's Done....
16-10-2019
Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong - a travel document is needed if traveling by air, but if one were to drive to the border, they will admit you based on the granted PR status event if the person has no PRTD, right?

I was told that it's mainly for getting on the plane, but if airline let's you on without a TD (for example if previous temporary visa and study/work permit was not made invalid at landing), you'll still be able to enter the country because they will not refuse a PR?? Am I misinformed...?

MNM2015

Sep 25, 2015
mia1588 said:
Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong - a travel document is needed if traveling by air, but if one were to drive to the border, they will admit you based on the granted PR status event if the person has no PRTD, right?

I was told that it's mainly for getting on the plane, but if airline let's you on without a TD (for example if previous temporary visa and study/work permit was not made invalid at landing), you'll still be able to enter the country because they will not refuse a PR?? Am I misinformed...?
That is my understanding as well but I believe all temporary visas (visitor, study, etc) will be revoked once you land so it will not be possible to arrive by air as you would need an ETA to be let on the plane and you can't get one once you land. The only exception to the ETA rule is US citizens.

mia1588

Star Member
Jul 25, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
17-05-2019
Med's Request
09-10-2019
Med's Done....
16-10-2019
MNM2015 said:
That is my understanding as well but I believe all temporary visas (visitor, study, etc) will be revoked once you land so it will not be possible to arrive by air as you would need an ETA to be let on the plane and you can't get one once you land. The only exception to the ETA rule is US citizens.
Thank you!! This is good to know. We have a trip planned for Christmas and timeline is looking a little tight for PR card to arrive on time... We are planning to drive back if it takes too long to get a TD since we are only going to the US for 10 days... :-X

ikhan2016

Nov 13, 2016
Hi...

I got my PR status approved in June this year (from UAE) and traveled to Canada for the initial landing in October 2016 for 3 weeks with my family. I returned to UAE in 3 weeks time. Me & my family's PR card was not processed by the immigration officer at the Canadian airport stating that since I am in Canada only for 21 days, my PR card will not be processed and when I return permanently I can apply for the PR card. For my return to Canada, I need to apply for a PRTD through the ADVO. I need to understand how to go about it because this time I will be relocating to Canada permanently after winding up my job and whole life from UAE. I need to understand when I should be applying for a PRTD and also if someone can guide me on the documentation and form submission as a new Permanent Resident. I will appreciate this as I am in a fix as to how and when to start the PRTD application process, considering me & my wife have our current job contractual obligations which we need to fulfill (resignation notice period) before we relocate from UAE and also packing-up our bags.

Regards
IK