+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Renewal Timeline 2018

scotsguy1971

Nov 21, 2018
I will share my story.

My PR Card was expired on Oct 02, 2018 but I have suddenly had a plan to trip to Japan from Nov 1st to Nov 18th, 2018.
After purchased the tickets to Japan, I applied my renewal as "urgent processing" with proof on September 12th, 2018.
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on September 17, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 9, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on October 9, 2018.
  4. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on October 18, 2018.
I was expecting receiving PR Card by the time I leave Canada on Oct 31st but It didn't make it. It supposed to be receiving in 1-2weeks so I asked my friend to check the mailbox everyday. (Once he gets the card, I tried to ask him to send by Fedex but the card didn't be arrived) and I had to be in Japan so I leave Canada and arrived Japan on Nov 1st.

I also tried to get PRTD in Japan but they told it takes 2weeks to 1month with my original passport and there is no guarantee I get the document before my return flight on Nov 18th. So I gave up to do the application.

On Nov 18th, I tried to check-in my flight returning to Canada, the check-in desk denied the boarding because I didn't have renewed PR Card. I appealed that I already renewed my PR but I didn't get it because of Canada post's strike. The desk agent couldn't decide it so called supervisor and manager. They made a call CIC and Canada embassy in Japan to confirm my PR status and renewal status. Finally Canada embassy in Japan made negotiation with CIC and approved boarding my flight. I made the flight returning to Canada and it was no problem with entering Canada on November 18th as planned.

I still waiting for my PR card by mail but it already passed a month. I'll probably need to take a flight to Japan soon but I don't wanna have same situation. Where is my PR Card?? How can I find it out? (The mailing address is 100% right in application, double checked)
I have similar situation as ckjoe, that may happen in March 2019. I have applied for pr renewal at the beginning of November. I am travelling to Mexico for vacation on March 30th. My exisiting PR card expires March 14, 2019. Hopefully the new card arrives before then, but my question is this:--

Can I do what ckjoe did or what's to stop me flying back to Canada on my British passport?

Any help would be appreciated.

Am_4_life2000

Nov 15, 2018
I have similar situation as ckjoe, that may happen in March 2019. I have applied for pr renewal at the beginning of November. I am travelling to Mexico for vacation on March 30th. My exisiting PR card expires March 14, 2019. Hopefully the new card arrives before then, but my question is this:--

Can I do what ckjoe did or what's to stop me flying back to Canada on my British passport?

Any help would be appreciated.
I believe u have a lot of time i believe u should have ur card by end of feb

Also u have the advantage if not u can still travel back with ur uk passport

Mary11

Nov 21, 2018
I sent my application in mid of Sep and I haven't heard anything yet.
I changed my family name to my maiden name so I got new passport and purchased flight ticket leaving early next year.
I am not sure if the name on passport and PR card doesn't match, the airline not going to allow me to take the flight...?
Does anyone knows about it?

Hopefully I get my PR card before I leave but I am worried cause now, Canada post strike affects people who is waiting to get PR card X(

kkcc

Nov 21, 2018
I will share my story.

My PR Card was expired on Oct 02, 2018 but I have suddenly had a plan to trip to Japan from Nov 1st to Nov 18th, 2018.
After purchased the tickets to Japan, I applied my renewal as "urgent processing" with proof on September 12th, 2018.
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on September 17, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 9, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on October 9, 2018.
  4. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on October 18, 2018.
I was expecting receiving PR Card by the time I leave Canada on Oct 31st but It didn't make it. It supposed to be receiving in 1-2weeks so I asked my friend to check the mailbox everyday. (Once he gets the card, I tried to ask him to send by Fedex but the card didn't be arrived) and I had to be in Japan so I leave Canada and arrived Japan on Nov 1st.

I also tried to get PRTD in Japan but they told it takes 2weeks to 1month with my original passport and there is no guarantee I get the document before my return flight on Nov 18th. So I gave up to do the application.

On Nov 18th, I tried to check-in my flight returning to Canada, the check-in desk denied the boarding because I didn't have renewed PR Card. I appealed that I already renewed my PR but I didn't get it because of Canada post's strike. The desk agent couldn't decide it so called supervisor and manager. They made a call CIC and Canada embassy in Japan to confirm my PR status and renewal status. Finally Canada embassy in Japan made negotiation with CIC and approved boarding my flight. I made the flight returning to Canada and it was no problem with entering Canada on November 18th as planned.

I still waiting for my PR card by mail but it already passed a month. I'll probably need to take a flight to Japan soon but I don't wanna have same situation. Where is my PR Card?? How can I find it out? (The mailing address is 100% right in application, double checked)
Hi, Can I ask you which airline you fly with, and which airport it was?
I also have a plan to fly from Japan soon and I might not be able to get my PR card by the time.

kamil123

Aug 29, 2018
My pr. Status is still at DM since 17 of nov.

Any one in the same time. Please update.
Dm since nov 4th contact ircc they advised me renewal got approved and in production.
I think i have been selected for pickup thats why its taking so much time cause my parents applied after me and they got their PR card

edwincca

Oct 12, 2018
So, I registered an account with CIC and was able to find my PR card renewal application and link it to my account. It currently states "We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you". However, my application is still not available at all when I try to check it the generic application status site. For anyone else in my situation, I strongly recommend you create/register an account on the CIC site and link your application to your account, as that appears to be more accurate and up to date than the generic application status site.
I believe I have met the requirment. But I did spend lots of time in other countries. What is your situation?

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I believe I have met the requirment. But I did spend lots of time in other countries. What is your situation?
I'm actually very optimistic. I've been in Canada most of the last 5 years so I easily meet the RO. I was worried at first because they started processing my application after only 8 weeks, but I think now after reading more on here that CIC is just processing September applications faster than they did earlier in the summer or spring. I applied mid September, got AOR on 19 November and was DM in ECAS on 20 November. Once you are DM, it seems like it's 7-20 days until card is mailed and who knows how long after that in the mail with the strike.

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Noticed my ecas has been updated.

Permanent Resident Card
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on September 13, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on November 20, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on November 20, 2018.

Reactions: paul2587

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Noticed my ecas has been updated.

Permanent Resident Card
  1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on September 13, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on November 20, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on November 20, 2018.
Congrats; we have almost exactly the same dates. Does ECAS show "Decision Made" on the first page before you get to those three lines?

Lorinamisca

Nov 21, 2018
Hi all, I sent my application the first week of October, do you think is normal if I can’t even find my application online? I don’t wanna sound crazy, but I’m paranoid about it and I’m thinking that my application went lost. I was planing to travel in February, and even if I have the european passport I’m scared of leaving the country lol

paul2587

Star Member
Jan 1, 2013
NS
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Hi all, I sent my application the first week of October, do you think is normal if I can’t even find my application online? I don’t wanna sound crazy, but I’m paranoid about it and I’m thinking that my application went lost. I was planing to travel in February, and even if I have the european passport I’m scared of leaving the country lol
This is not unusual; relax. For myself and many others in the past (if you read this starting at page 1), the application doesn't show up online until after receiving a receipt email from CIC (called an AOR). The AOR email can take anywhere from 2-4 months after you apply. In my case, I applied in mid September. I couldn't find anything on MyCIC or ECAS until the day after I received my AOR last week. You probably won't see anything online until at least 24 hours after your AOR email.

Lorinamisca

Nov 21, 2018
This is not unusual; relax. For myself and many others in the past (if you read this starting at page 1), the application doesn't show up online until after receiving a receipt email from CIC (called an AOR). The AOR email can take anywhere from 2-4 months after you apply. In my case, I applied in mid September. I couldn't find anything on MyCIC or ECAS until the day after I received my AOR last week. You probably won't see anything online until at least 24 hours after your AOR email.
thank you Paul, I've read so many different things that I don't know what to think. But thank you so much

Noel1972

Star Member
May 21, 2017
Hi Paul2587,

I have the exact same situation as you. I applied for a PR card renewal in mid September & received an email from IRCC stating "This confirms that your application for your Permanent Resident card has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2018/09/13" and then it just provides some frequently asked questions and links to application status and timeline.

It is bewildering that I cannot locate my application from the ecas website. But yeah i will follow your advise & I will create a CIC account and link the PR card renewal application with my CIC account.
Congrats; we have almost exactly the same dates. Does ECAS show "Decision Made" on the first page before you get to those three lines?

congrats, pls does anybody knows how long card production takes after DM? ECAS say DM since 15th Nov, nothing yet.