+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Renewal Timeline 2018

Confused in Toronto

Star Member
Jul 16, 2010
I am so confused. CIC received my application on March 16th. I got an AOR last week, confirming that date. Then, the very next day, my file has been updated with 'decision made'. But when I click on the status, I see this:

1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on March 16, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on June 28, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on June 28, 2018.
How can a decision be made already, when they only started processing the application on June 28th? Mine is not the least complicated application, as we are currently living abroad due to my husband's work. (This is allowed according to Canadian immigration law, as my husband is Canadian, so my days spent with him abroad count towards the residency requirements).

Can 'decision made' mean that the decision is to send the application to secondary review?

gecamom

Jun 5, 2018
I am so confused. CIC received my application on March 16th. I got an AOR last week, confirming that date. Then, the very next day, my file has been updated with 'decision made'. But when I click on the status, I see this:

1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on March 16, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on June 28, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on June 28, 2018.
How can a decision be made already, when they only started processing the application on June 28th? Mine is not the least complicated dapplication, as we are currently living abroad due to my husband's work. (This is allowed according to Canadian immigration law, as my husband is Canadian, so my days spent with him abroad count towards the residency requirements).

Can 'decision made' mean that the decision is to send the application to secondary review?
Mine was the same. It said decision made the same day as processing started, the morning after the AOR. But today I was able to link my application and it says nothing about decision made. It says "we are verifying your eligibility requirements". The whole thing is confusing. Have you tried to link the application?

Confused in Toronto

Star Member
Jul 16, 2010
Mine was the same. It said decision made the same day as processing started, the morning after the AOR. But today I was able to link my application and it says nothing about decision made. It says "we are verifying your eligibility requirements". The whole thing is confusing. Have you tried to link the application?
No, I haven't. I just used the reference number they gave me in the AOR email. How do I link? Sorry, this is probably a stupid question...I will try to figure it out, too.

gecamom

Jun 5, 2018
No, I haven't. I just used the reference number they gave me in the AOR email. How do I link? Sorry, this is probably a stupid question...I will try to figure it out, too.
It's not a stupid question. Everything is so complicated. This is the link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account.html. You have to be careful about place of birth, it needs to be exactly how it is written in your documents. Mine had to be German spelling including the Umlaut or it didn't work.

Reactions: Confused in Toronto

Confused in Toronto

Star Member
Jul 16, 2010

CalgarySpring

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Mine was received on March 16. I finally got the AOR on June 26th. The day after, my online status changed from received to decision made. But when I click on it it says they started processing only on June 27th. This worries me since it seems to take weeks after they start processing or even after you get the DM that they send the card. This would take me way beyond processing times. And mine is a very uncomplicated case. Almost no travel. Will the processing times increase again next week right before I get my card?
Hi, so you don't know exactly when your application was shown as "received" on website (at that point you don't get any email)... yeah, in this slow pace I might get the citizenship first! :))

gecamom

Jun 5, 2018
Hi, so you don't know exactly when your application was shown as "received" on website (at that point you don't get any email)... yeah, in this slow pace I might get the citizenship first! :))
I called on June 11th. They confirmed it was received and it showed up on the website as "received" the same day. I think she changed it during our call. I got the AOR 2 weeks later.

Reactions: CalgarySpring

CalgarySpring

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Today i check Ecase and i can see my PR card application received by CIC on 28 March after 91 days i can see the status but they didnt send AOR email to me , i mean i have not received any email from CIC but thanks god they received my application .
Hi, same here. Please, keep us posted about your case. Thanks.

CalgarySpring

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Maybe by "eligibility" means that they are just checking with Canada borders and this process takes up to 30 calendar days...

gecamom

Jun 5, 2018
Maybe by "eligibility" means that they are just checking with Canada borders and this process takes up to 30 calendar days...
I doubt it. I only left Canada for 3 weekend trips to the US in the last 5 years and have been living here since 1988. My entire family lives in Canada . It is just one of the application steps on the list. They are the same for everyone.

Reactions: CalgarySpring

Momo231

Star Member
Jun 7, 2018
I doubt it. I only left Canada for 3 weekend trips to the US in the last 5 years and have been living here since 1988. My entire family lives in Canada . It is just one of the application steps on the list. They are the same for everyone.
I think you will got a update next week. It long weekend this week.

One question if you live in canada most of the time, why not apply citizenship

gecamom

Jun 5, 2018
I think you will got a update next week. It long weekend this week.

One question if you live in canada most of the time, why not apply citizenship
My Birth country is a bit difficult about dual citizenship and I was just not ready to give up my European passport. Also my children would not have been able to get dual citizenship. Apparently it is now maybe easier to get the dual, but I have to make an official request...and for that I need my PR card. I will do it as soon as I have the card though and if it is approved I will definitely apply citizenship.

Momo231

Star Member
Jun 7, 2018
My Birth country is a bit difficult about dual citizenship and I was just not ready to give up my European passport. Also my children would not have been able to get dual citizenship. Apparently it is now maybe easier to get the dual, but I have to make an official request...and for that I need my PR card. I will do it as soon as I have the card though and if it is approved I will definitely apply citizenship.
aw ok. I think your status would be update next week. usually whom live in Canada most of the time got their card within a week by mail.

my family got a DM two week ago and no more information after that, so it kind of pain, cause we are traveling in mid July

Reactions: gecamom

CalgarySpring

Star Member
Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, I should have applied for PR 9 month before expiry date, but I completely forgot about that (it's my fault). I always thought that the process it's only gonna take like 2-3 month... now my PR is gonna expire on July 4th and I'm not gonna pe able to abord on a plane from Europe to Canada only flying to US first, using the US visa and then on foot/by car, using the landing document... too much trouble! I'm also thinking to apply for "urgent", but I don't have really any sustainable reasons...

Last edited:

Momo231

Star Member
Jun 7, 2018
Yeah, I should have applied for PR 9 month before expiry date, but I completely forgot about that (it's my fault). I always thought that the process it's only gonna take like 2-3 month... now my PR is gonna expire on July 4th and I'm not gonna pe able to abord on a plane from Europe to Canada only flying to US first, using the US visa and then on foot/by car, using the landing document... too much trouble! I'm also thinking to apply for "urgent", but I don't have really any sustainable reasons...
you don't have to travel by foot, just rent a cars and drop it in canada