+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent resident outside Canada + Spouse sponsorship

amanderrific

Aug 11, 2013
Hi, I received my PR status last year - I entered Canada last May 2012 and left the following month. I've been outside canada for more than a year and planning to go back in february 2014 for good. Now I was just wondering if I would be having any problems with the immigration since I stayed outside Canada for more than a year? I also got married while outside Canada but didn't change my status from single to married in any of my documents, would that be an issue once I sponsor him and would I be able to sponsor him immediately after let's say a month after my arrival in Canada? Thank you ;)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's no problem staying outside for more than one year. You are allowed up to 3 years outside Canada in a 5 year period so that's fine.

As long as you were not married when you landed as a PR, you got married after that, then there is no problem. You can apply to sponsor your partner, however, even though there is no specific income requirement to sponsoring a spouse, it would help if you have a job by the time you apply because immigration wants to know that you will not end up going on welfare when your husband gets here.

As a PR, you must also be residing in Canada to sponsor your husband if you want to leave Canada for a trip, make it short. If immigration finds that you are no longer in Canada and they believe you are not residing in Canada, they will cancel your application.

amanderrific

Aug 11, 2013
Thanks Leon! I was also wondering, do I need to have my own apartment to sponsor my husband? I'll be staying with my family til I get a full time job

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
amanderrific said:
Hi, I received my PR status last year - I entered Canada last May 2012 and left the following month. I've been outside canada for more than a year and planning to go back in february 2014 for good. Now I was just wondering if I would be having any problems with the immigration since I stayed outside Canada for more than a year? I also got married while outside Canada but didn't change my status from single to married in any of my documents, would that be an issue once I sponsor him and would I be able to sponsor him immediately after let's say a month after my arrival in Canada? Thank you ;)
The only way this would be a problem would be if you had lived with your now-husband for a period of twelve consecutive months at any time before May 2012.