+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident - Driving Abroad (UK)

grahamangus

Star Member
Dec 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2014
AOR Received.
12-05-2014
Med's Request
29-01-2015
Med's Done....
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2015
In 2014 i became a Canadian Permanent Resident and also switched my full UK driving license for a full Ontario license. I am visiting the UK later this year and renting a car, so wondering what documentation i need for my situation to be able to pick up the car?

When I switched my UK license for a Canadian one, did that theoretically destroy my UK license and history? If this is the case do i need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive when i get there? If i dont need an IDP do i need to prove to the rental company that i am competently able to drive in the UK? Are they able to look me up on the DVLA system?

The only proof i have of my UK driving history is a PDF from DVLA stating that i have a clean record alongside all the information of my UK driving license back from when i switched to an Ontario license.

Apologies for all the questions but this is a relative grey area for me and has created a whole bunch of questions, thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
grahamangus said:
In 2014 i became a Canadian Permanent Resident and also switched my full UK driving license for a full Ontario license. I am visiting the UK later this year and renting a car, so wondering what documentation i need for my situation to be able to pick up the car?

When I switched my UK license for a Canadian one, did that theoretically destroy my UK license and history? If this is the case do i need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive when i get there? If i dont need an IDP do i need to prove to the rental company that i am competently able to drive in the UK? Are they able to look me up on the DVLA system?

The only proof i have of my UK driving history is a PDF from DVLA stating that i have a clean record alongside all the information of my UK driving license back from when i switched to an Ontario license.

Apologies for all the questions but this is a relative grey area for me and has created a whole bunch of questions, thanks!
Once exchanged, you no longer possess a valid UK licence. You retain an entitlement to acquire one if you return to the UK to live. You will be treated as a foreign driver, driving on a foreign licence. You would probably be advised to obtain an IDP, even if not absolutely required.

grahamangus

Star Member
Dec 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2014
AOR Received.
12-05-2014
Med's Request
29-01-2015
Med's Done....
03-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2015
zardoz said:
Once exchanged, you no longer possess a valid UK licence. You retain an entitlement to acquire one if you return to the UK to live. You will be treated as a foreign driver, driving on a foreign licence. You would probably be advised to obtain an IDP, even if not absolutely required.
Perfect, thanks!

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
zardoz said:
Really? Is this because Canada make you hand in your licence when you apply?

I have a valid UK license and a HK one and can use them as I want depending on where I go in the world

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
COPRQuestion said:

I have a valid UK license and a HK one and can use them as I want depending on where I go in the world
Yes, for at least Ontario licence exchange, you physically have to relinquish the photo card and paper licence before you get issued a new Ontario one. Hence "exchange".

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
foodie69 said:
Same in BC, you hand over your other license(s)
Thanks, that's kind of annoying, i like my Uk driving license it's a classic

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Yeah....technically it's illegal to hold more than one licence in Canada. However, I've been in the same situation and held an Alberta licence at the same time as I held an Indonesian and Thai licence. I had the advantage of holding the Alberta licence first. I just didn't bother to tell them I had the other two.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Buletruck said:
Yeah....technically it's illegal to hold more than one licence in Canada. However, I've been in the same situation and held an Alberta licence at the same time as I held an Indonesian and Thai licence. I had the advantage of holding the Alberta licence first. I just didn't bother to tell them I had the other two.
I was dumb enough to mention mine :mad:..had also one from Europe and one from down under.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
foodie69 said:
I was dumb enough to mention mine :mad:..had also one from Europe and one from down under.
In reality looks like I'll have to give up my UK one then as my HK licence doesn't automatically transfer to BC license. So at least I can keep my HK one.

Is it not possible to then apply for the UK again directly with the UK?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
COPRQuestion said:
In reality looks like I'll have to give up my UK one then as my HK licence doesn't automatically transfer to BC license. So at least I can keep my HK one.

Is it not possible to then apply for the UK again directly with the UK?
Not legally. For a UK licence, you need to be a UK resident with a UK residential address. https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
zardoz said:
Not legally. For a UK licence, you need to be a UK resident with a UK residential address. https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence
Interesting, I still have one, had no idea I was doing something illegal.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
COPRQuestion said:
Interesting, I still have one, had no idea I was doing something illegal.
From INF1D, the instructions that come with the D1 application form.
Important
You can only get a GB driving licence if you are normally resident in the United Kingdom.

To be normally resident you must usually live in the United Kingdom for 185 days in each calendar year.

Applicants who are not UK citizens or nationals of another EU or EEA country will not be considered normally resident if they:
• do not have leave to remain in the UK, or
• are in the country on a temporary basis without leave to remain either while awaiting a decision to stay in the UK or following a decision refusing such an application.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
zardoz said:
From INF1D, the instructions that come with the D1 application form.
well that's Ok then as I do have leave to remain in the UK as I'm a British Citizen