+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Resident Card Renew issue

zamsid

Apr 16, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to regain my P.R. card.

I moved to Canada in 1998, completed my High School here until 2003. I had opportunity to get a Green Card for the U.S. I moved to united states in 2003, meanly for education purpose. Meanwhile, my P.R. Card (canada) expire in 2008 and cannot do renewal due to requirements. I became U.S. Citizen in 2008. I moved back to Canada 2009 after my education was completed. To make sure my SIN is active, I found part time Job and pay tax. I found full time in my area of study. I am working for last 1.5 years. Now I am trying to renew my P.R. Card. I am not sure how difficult the situation is to apply for renewel. Will someone guide me?

Thank You,

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have 730 days of physical presence in Canada since you moved back in 2009, then all you have to do is fill out an application for renewal.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do not apply to renew without having 730 days in Canada in the last 5 years. If you do that, you are basically inviting immigration to revoke your PR status and deport you.

If you on the other hand wait until you have 730 days, they can not refuse your renewal because if they didn't catch you already, they are only allowed to look at the 5 years previous to your renewal application.

zamsid

Apr 16, 2011
Is there any issue changing my Cititzenship. At first, I was indian Citizen when I moved to Canada, Now, I m U.S. Citizen. Will this make complcation for this case?

Thanks for your time.

zamsid

Apr 16, 2011
I tried to search "Proof of Time" in canada in this forum. I can't get information except 'employment prove". This august, it will be my 2 years completion, How can I prove that I was in canada when I didn't have a job From august to late september 2010. I did have some doctor's visit. please advise.

Thanks,

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The truth is that if you are really living in Canada, there are tons of paper trail that will follow you. Do you work? Do you spend? Do you file taxes? Do you go on vacations? Do you drive? Do you go to the hospital? Do you volunteer? Do you rent? Do you bank? Do you fly (even if its within Canada)? Do you gym? etc etc.

Give them whatever you have.

zamsid

Apr 16, 2011
Well, I am working in canada since Oct 2009, I am staying here since Aug 2009. The reason I asked "Proof of time in Canada", just to be sure they will accept Doctor's visit as a prove. In case, if they dont, I will wait until october 2011 to apply PR Card..... P.R. Card application does not tell that Doctor's visit can be used as a prove.

I wanted clarify because if my application does not have 730 days, then basically i am inviting trouble,

Thanks for you time.

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you know you have 730 days there is nothing stopping you from applying. They know that you might not get a job the same day you moved back here. However, if you dont have immediate travel plans it won't hurt to wait till October (or longer). It only makes your case stronger. I myself moved back in June 2009 and just completed 730 days today and I will be applying for urgent processing next week (added a couple of extra days).

zamsid

Apr 16, 2011
As I said earlier that my P.R. Card (canada) expire in 2008 and cannot do renewal due to requirements. I became U.S. Citizen in 2008. I moved back to Canada 2009 after my education was completed. I enter in Canada with U.S. Passport as a visiter and working for almost two years and file taxes. I think Law says Person must be in canada on expiry of PR card. In PR Renewal form, If I declare that I was not in canada until July 2009. and PR Card expired on March 2008, Will CIC renew my PR Card, or pack up and leave Canada?

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You dont have to be in Canada when your card expires otherwise there wont be a need for Travel Documents. However, you have to be in Canada when you submit an application for renewal.

Like I said before, if you have 730 days of physical presence in Canada in the last five years, then you are free to renew your card.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
zamsid said:
I tried to search "Proof of Time" in canada in this forum. I can't get information except 'employment prove". This august, it will be my 2 years completion, How can I prove that I was in canada when I didn't have a job From august to late september 2010. I did have some doctor's visit. please advise.

Thanks,
You will find a discussion of using bank records as proof of residency in this thread. Consider other things like rental agreements, car and/or insurance payments, etc as more potential proof.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bank-statements-as-proof-of-residence-t76557.0.html

robfis

Star Member
Jan 4, 2009
I have a question Zamsid:
When you returned to Canada in 2009, how did you enter the country: by car or air?
Did you use the US passport? Haven't they identify you as a (former) Canada PR?
Thanks,
Robert

Naseh

Jul 24, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to renew my P.R. card.

My question is my PR is expiring on 30 July 2011 but the problem is I already applied for my PR renewal on 22 June 2011 in which there is residency obligations.I am missing 30 days and my case is pending can you please help me with this issue and I have to go back home in Aug what should I do because I cannot travel without the PR card.

Thank You,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you applied having been outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the first 5 years of your PR, they will send you to residency questionnaire. It means your PR will take forever if it will even be approved. If you applied with just under 1095 days outside Canada, they might still send you to residency questionnaire.

The processing time for a renewed PR card is about 4 months right now so even if your case were all good, you still couldn't expect your PR card until October or so. Did you ask for your case to be expedited based on your travel plans? If not, you can try to do it after the fact. Go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp and near the bottom of the page there are instructions on how to fax your travel plans to them. Still, they say there you can only do it if it has been longer than the normal processing times but you could try it.

If you leave now without a PR card, you can get back to Canada by applying for a PR travel document but you still must meet the requirements of 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years to get one. Not your first 5 years anymore but always the past 5 years after that, counting back from the date you apply for the travel document. You will also be expected to pick up your PR card in Canada when it is ready or if your case is going to residency questionnaire, you would be expected to go to an interview at some point.