+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency Status After Divorce

cacouncill94

Mar 28, 2018
My wife and I moved here in October 2018, we then separated in November 2018 (this was not planned and we did not file any forms, i just moved out and started paying child support) we are in the process of filing for divorce now. My permanent residency was approved prior to moving here, once the divorce is finalized will it have any effect on my PR status? Or should we wait the 3 years for me to apply for citizenship before we finalize everything.

Moving back to the states is not an option as my kids are now here and settled.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long were you married before getting divorced. If you were married a long time before applying for PR that certainly will cause less suspicion.

cacouncill94

Mar 28, 2018
How long were you married before getting divorced. If you were married a long time before applying for PR that certainly will cause less suspicion.
We were married 6.5 years before separating in Nov 2018, we have 1 daughter together and i adopted her son before moving here too.

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Its my 1st time to send a query, hopefully someone can give me advise on how to proceed.

I already received my stamped visa and COPR. I applied together with my common law partner and children,both of them received there visas and COPR as well, my concern is my partner and i started to be cold to each other due to incompatibility of many things.

my question is do i have to report that he will not join me in canada? or is it ok not to report it po?

thank you in advance for your help

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its my 1st time to send a query, hopefully someone can give me advise on how to proceed.

I already received my stamped visa and COPR. I applied together with my common law partner and children,both of them received there visas and COPR as well, my concern is my partner and i started to be cold to each other due to incompatibility of many things.

my question is do i have to report that he will not join me in canada? or is it ok not to report it po?

If the relationship is over you must remove them from your application. If you are still unsure you should change their application to non-accompanying. If you decide to remain together you'll need to sponsor them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Yes if you are separating you must remove them from your application. If you are still unsure you can also change their status to non-accompanying. If you do nothing and you're separated you are misrepresenting your status. They could also move to Canada once they have COPRs and you don't inform IRCC that your family composition has changed.

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Yes if you are separating you must remove them from your application. If you are still unsure you can also change their status to non-accompanying. If you do nothing and you're separated you are misrepresenting your status. They could also move to Canada once they have COPRs and you don't inform IRCC that your family composition has changed.
As my COPR is expiring this month and court filing and divorce decree takes almost 6 months. Does my COPR will change as still it is written married