+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent Residency for convention refugee (Time and Process?)

estellesonya

Apr 18, 2016
I am a Convention Refugee. I got my Positive hearing in Nov 2014 and applied for PR in April 2015. All documents, checks have been completed. it has been over 24 months. i have called CIC and they keep saying my application is under final review. Does anyone know what might be the problem and what i can do? mind you my accompanying dependents have already concluded theirs and the Visa offices are waiting for me to get my PR befor they give them the visa

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
As a Protected Person, you are exempt from paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee. You must, however, pay a processing fee when you submit your application for permanent residence for yourself and all family members included in your application which is: $550
So, we do pay

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
As a Protected Person, you are exempt from paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee. You must, however, pay a processing fee when you submit your application for permanent residence for yourself and all family members included in your application which is: $550
So, we do pay
I sponsored my husband inland spousal sponsorship in 2015 so we paid 550 plus 490 for rrpf,medical we paid 260 and I know for refugees you do not pay for medical,we paid 255 for his owp and refugees do not pay for owp plus you get refugee health care but all stream immigration do not . And some people in your side of the forum complain that you guys get treated as second class because people in other stream immigration pay more than the processing fee.

momye_west

Jun 23, 2017
Hello! Update! I received an email today from CIC telling me they started processing my application on September 5th! I wonder how long it will take now. On the CIC website it says about 10 months!

Jun 26, 2017
Hi momye.... Let me understand you: you posted it. June and got your letter of confirmation in Sep. That is approximately 2 1/2 months.

What is the latest now. The site says 61days. Please update. Thanks

Iyad717

Star Member
Jul 1, 2016
Guys, dont get mixed up! The 61 days is for PR card and NOT for PR Application for Refugees. As a refugee, you should choose "Refugee" from the drop down list. Then it will show you 28 months. It was 22 months few months ago. so it keeps increasing as they get more applications. Hope this helps!

YousifBreesam

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
My case same as "Momye_west" .... I had applied for a refugee claim in Canada on Sep 2012 and I got my positive hearing on March 2017 ( waited alomst 5 years as a legacy file for what it's being called). Now I submitted my PR application and it was received on April 2017. On CIC site it says 65 days, but when i called it said 22 months. It's so confusing and which one is the correct one.
It's really not fair for me to wait another 2 years after this long wait. This process of wait, frustrations and the limitations that I've had has damaged my health.
Exactly the same situation! I made my refugee claim in Sept 2012 and waited until Nov 2017 to get accepted. Now i applied for pr and it will take about two years to get a pr. It so unfair & guess what?! All these years are not counted for the citizenship physical calculation!!!!!!

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
My colleague had applied for Express Entry; a year ago. Now, she got her PR ( all this process took her a year) and they told her they would credit one year of what she has spent before PR towards the citizenship application.

Baraar

Dec 12, 2017
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Hello,

I am trying to help out a friend to fill the Permanent resident application, who recently got his Postive decision to be a Convention refugee
on the cic website it only have the option of applying the Permanent resident card' not the application. any help?

YousifBreesam

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Hello,

I am trying to help out a friend to fill the Permanent resident application, who recently got his Postive decision to be a Convention refugee
on the cic website it only have the option of applying the Permanent resident card' not the application. any help?
It has it under name, "convention refugee and Protected Persons" applying for PR within Canada.

Permanent Resident Card is different.

dashndash

Aug 21, 2020
Guys, dont get mixed up! The 61 days is for PR card and NOT for PR Application for Refugees. As a refugee, you should choose "Refugee" from the drop down list. Then it will show you 28 months. It was 22 months few months ago. so it keeps increasing as they get more applications. Hope this helps!
Can you please tell me what is the difference between "PR Card" aand "PR Application for Refugees" ??