+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Permanent residency after 1 year of diploma in Canada

Chaklader

Jun 4, 2016
Hello,

I plan to do one year of IT diploma in Quebec that includes about 6 months of co-op internship and upon completion of the studies, I will get a one year of an open work permit to look for jobs. I have MSc degree from a foreign country (evaluated by WES) and since finishing the graduation, I work as IT freelancer for last 4 years. Now, I come to know that the freelancing experience doesn't count in for the immigration in Canada. So, what will be my options to get the PR?

I'm good at software development and imagine to secure the internship and an IT job offer right after the completion of studies. However, my concern is the open work permit is for one year, what it will happen at the end and how to get the PR in this situation?

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
Get 1 two year program. One year PGWP will not cut it. You need a breathing area for PGWP. 2 years study = 3 years pgwp.

Chaklader

Jun 4, 2016
What if I get a job and work on the open work permit for 8/9 months? I assume there should be a way for the employers to extend the work visa. And, if I manage to get 1 year of Canadian work experience and 15 points for the education, there is a good possibility to get the permanent residency (PR).

What do you say?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What if I get a job and work on the open work permit for 8/9 months? I assume there should be a way for the employers to extend the work visa. And, if I manage to get 1 year of Canadian work experience and 15 points for the education, there is a good possibility to get the permanent residency (PR).

What do you say?
An employer would need a positive LMIA in order for you to apply for another work permit. LMIAs cost $1000 (non-refundable even if refused), have strict requirements and take months to process, so it is extremely difficult to find an employer willing to go through this process. There are people who have been here for years trying to find such an employer without success.

As said above, do a 2 year program and get a 3 year PGWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also given your previous experience I'm not sure you will get approved for a student visa. The course has to add to your skill set and improve your career opportunities.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Also given your previous experience I'm not sure you will get approved for a student visa. The course has to add to your skill set and improve your career opportunities.
I would agree that having a Masters and also having 4 years IT work experience then applying for a study permit for an IT diploma the odds of approval seem slim.

It would seem to make more sense to look at something more substantial for 2 years that enhances current qualifications/work experience not effectively something that really with that work experience is just a basic IT refresher.

aman6699

Star Member
Mar 2, 2014
Hello,

I plan to do one year of IT diploma in Quebec that includes about 6 months of co-op internship and upon completion of the studies, I will get a one year of an open work permit to look for jobs. I have MSc degree from a foreign country (evaluated by WES) and since finishing the graduation, I work as IT freelancer for last 4 years. Now, I come to know that the freelancing experience doesn't count in for the immigration in Canada. So, what will be my options to get the PR?

I'm good at software development and imagine to secure the internship and an IT job offer right after the completion of studies. However, my concern is the open work permit is for one year, what it will happen at the end and how to get the PR in this situation?
Quite tough . Have to be really lucky person. Time flies in Canada. 1 year is nothing man.

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
Also the fact the PGWP is something the government gives only once, you cannot get it again and you cannot extend it.